fill flash

Name
mick hall
Edit My Images
Yes
got a sb800 for my d200 nice gun but can't work out this fill flash thinngy all my shots come back overexpossed etc

must be me what is idiot mick doing now!

I don't know Nikon so can't help with specifics but generally fill flash is along the lines of.

Meter for and expose the scene as normal (ignore you've got a flash connected).
Set the flash to around -1 stop
Shoot

The flash then just adds a little light into the shadows to lift them.

got a sb800 for my d200 nice gun but can't work out this fill flash thinngy all my shots come back overexpossed etc

must be me what is idiot mick doing now!

Are you bouncing the flash off something? Got a piece of card behind the flash and point it up? Turn the output of the flash down a bit? Put some examples up and will try to advise further.

Chris

If using a sb800 just set it to ttlbl on the flash gun and then it will just fill it. If its anything like the d300 youll need it on matrix or centre weighted for ttlbl to work.

Then either shoot in manual and the camera and flash will work it out-or shoot in ap and it will do the same. Dont forget if its a bright day youll need the flash sync speed set to fp or it will give you a max synv speed of 1 250th and then if it requires a shutter speed of say 1 500th it will not be fast enough and overexpose it by a stop or 2.

Hope this makes sense and helps

thanks guys a lot of whats been said i don't really understand my fault not yours will try again and see what happens

cheers again

If using a sb800 just set it to ttlbl on the flash gun and then it will just fill it. If its anything like the d300 youll need it on matrix or centre weighted for ttlbl to work.

Then either shoot in manual and the camera and flash will work it out-or shoot in ap and it will do the same. Dont forget if its a bright day youll need the flash sync speed set to fp or it will give you a max synv speed of 1 250th and then if it requires a shutter speed of say 1 500th it will not be fast enough and overexpose it by a stop or 2.

Hope this makes sense and helps

just a point to pick up on set to fp?
where how?

sorry to be so thick

and then if it requires a shutter speed of say 1 500th it will not be fast enough and overexpose it by a stop or 2.

This is why I'm keeping my D50 with 1/500 flash synch.

I'm not 100% certain, but I thought TTL BL mode will only work in Matrix metering mode as it needs to measure the background to calculate the amount of fill flash required

Also, check your hotshoe contacts are clean, a couple of times I've had dirt on mine and the flash seemed to only work full whack permanently and blew every shot to smithereeens

I've just bought an SB800 for use with a D80, so I'm just learning how to use it, and according to the camera manual there is an Auto FP setting in the camera custom menu for high speed sync at shutter speeds greater than 1/200s. I just tried setting it to on and got the FP showing on the SB800 :)

I imagine the D200 has a similar setting somewhere.

This is why I'm keeping my D50 with 1/500 flash synch.
Or 1/4000th if you know the trick ;)

Mick, try shooting with the SB-800 on manual. Start at say 1/32 and work your way up until you find the right setting for your set up. Remember your max sync speed is (iirc) 1/250 with the D200.

Back