Fill in flash for night clubs

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,
I have been asked to help out in a night club, by a friend in a media company. She is doing some advertising at a under 18's night and wanting to produce keyring's on the spot to hand out free. She is maybe thinking of having the pictures done in one spot, inside a frame. But she might just want me to wander around and take the shots in the main rooms. I don't want to bleach them out and loose the lights in the back ground but I don't want any movement. What would be the best way to go about this? I will be using a cannon 40d with a sigma EF-500.

I know you have all got big technicall brains and would appreciate any help!

Thank you

Flash on camera, and fire it at them as you would normally.

Nothing special to this to be fair and it's basically what every media photographer does

paparazzi2-main_Full.jpg

I didn't mean to give the impression that I was a media photographer. I am just helping a friend out, it is something new to me.

I think they mean just use the same principles as a media photographer.. if it works for them it should work for you sorta thing.. Keep it simple :)

I'd say try and get to the venue at another event and do some test shots.

Paul

Thanks for your, advices every one. I'm feel a bit out of my comfort zone with this one. Don't want to mess it up.

Another nice way of doing it is to create some kind of photo booth a bit like a passport booth in a small area, you wouldnt need much lighting other than what you have but you could capture a lot of people and you know how people like to mess around in them.

Another nice way of doing it is to create some kind of photo booth a bit like a passport booth in a small area, you wouldnt need much lighting other than what you have but you could capture a lot of people and you know how people like to mess around in them.

Have thought about doing something on those lines, I would be in control of what was going on then. Plus it's a under 18's night and think they would really go for something like that.

Cheers

Oh i'd make sure you've got all the relevant police checks as well if you're running around a load of under 18's especially with a camera in this current knee jerk reaction climate

I'd even go as far to make sure there was someone else with me

Oh r.e the flash dependant on ceiling height and distance from subject i'd fire straight up or towards with a stofen filter of some sort

Been doing nightclub photos for a while now, depending on the ceilings/walls, it may be worth bouncing the flash to avoid any bleached out faces.
I've bounced the flash on most of the images here http://www.dontstayin.com/members/chicca-babe-nc/favouritephotos

They are fantastic shots. Do you use 2nd curtain flash or are you just directing the light up and away to get so much detail in the backgrounds?
Love to do this,... what are you using as a lens as I also have a 400D and wondered if my 10-22mm would suit the bill ( pics don't support EXIF unfortunately)

Maybe using a bounce card would work? Only reason I say that is most nightclub ceilings are quite high to bounce off. And if you can get near a wall you'll be lucky.

Something like this:

attachment.php

Or even using a white business card with an elastic band to attach it to the flash head. What lens are you using?

im no expert but have shot some similar stuff reciently, I just used everything pretty much as normal. bottom of the range flash unit and my A100:

2741748533_840a9b5427.jpg

Its also worth tryiing using a slow sync flash mode, ive tried a few times with varied results

2733992766_5248bc28e5.jpg

My cameral doesnt have a rear curtain mode, so you would probably get better results if you can use that..

you need to drop the shutter speed down to capture some of the ambient (disco) lighting.
actually, 1/20th will be fine because you will also be using...2nd curtain sync flash mode.
this will ensure any movement at all looks like trails FOLLOWING the subject...
and will actually (due to the flash) freeze most movement anyway.
if they are dancing at all...faster shutter speed will be required.

Back