Fill In Flash

Name
Daniel
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi TP

This is something i would like to understand a bit better. What i used to do before i sold my flashgun was crank the top up a couple of notches so it was aiming further to the ceiling but not at the ceiling and shooting in Program mode. I really didnt feel i was learning anything or achieving great results.

I hope this is the right place to thread this. All advice will be very much appreciated.

BTW i am getting a new flash soon

Regards in advance

That is one excellent link and reference! Thank you so much for posting it. Though I am not at all into using flash, but I am thinking of getting into it as I want to do some shoots for my family, and to use it also in landscape.

The OP's title doesn't make much sense when you read the body of the thread. Fill-in flash is used to lower the contrast of a scene (ie brighten shadows so they are close in brightness to the mid's and highlights of a scene). A camera, especially digital can only cope with a limited contrast range and fill-in flash helps with this.

The actual process of pointing your flash upwards is not fill-in flash, it is bounce flash. This is a technique that is used to soften shadows as the wall or ceiling your flash points at becomes a huge, soft, light source when the flash fires. It is a good technique for ttl flash as the camera can still do its exposure calculations even when the flash is not pointed directly at the subject.

Try www.strobist.com for some awesome pics and inpsiration with flash.

Back