Beginner Fill in flash

Edit My Images
Yes
Full sunny day ,carabian carnival ,sun not on faces light sky behind ,what's the best way to approach this type of shot as some of my photos the face is too dark? I was being lazy and had full auto on,what would have been better spot metering?

You don't give details of equipment... it depends a lot on the effect you are trying to achieve, at its simplest use average/evaluative metering and dial the flash down by 1 1/2 to 2 stops in TTL mode. There are other methods, with IMO the most useful being to go fully manual and set your ambient exposure to what is desired and dialling in the right amount of flash for your chosen aperture and amount of illumination on the face that will look natural (on a bright day you may need to enable High Speed Synch or its equivalent).

Last edited:
canon M100 no flash shoe so would have to be onboard flash which is weak.any ideas?
That does make it difficult, extra equipment such as a reflector would be difficult if the environment was busy, so maybe evaluative metering and leave the flash to do its thing, obviously will be only effective close to your subject due to the fall off.

I am not familiar with the M100 but wonder whether it is capable of triggering an external flash as an optical slave?

canon M100 no flash shoe so would have to be onboard flash which is weak.any ideas?

Try it. For fill-in flash at close-ish distance you don't need much power to lift darker areas - many times less output than you need to actually over-power the sun. And the trick with fill-in flash is not to overdo it so it looks natural. The on-axis position of the flash also works in your favour for fill-in. I use the built-in pop-up a lot for this when i don't want to carry a big gun. It works very well and the main problem I sometimes find is the slow flash recycle time.

Set something up with a model in the back garden and get familiar with flash exposure compensation for best flash/daylight balance.

I used to do this a bit with an X100 built in flash. Just metered normally for the scene but had the flash fire at minimum power. If you're too close, it can look harsh but you get a feel for optimum shooting distance for a nice natural looking image.

This blog helped me out regarding fill flash, and mixing flash with ambient light, well worth a read.

Back