Filling a softbox with a speedlight

Bloomin heck you guys are sooooo techie/clever for me.

Obviously I only muck about at home (so not a job) I use a speedlight in a softbox. I use mine with both diffusers and the wide angle panel down. Can't quite remember when I started doing that but it is that far back I don't recall doing it any other way. It seems to work for me.

Gaz

Last edited:
Bloomin heck you guys are sooooo techie/clever for me.

Obviously I only muck about at home (so not a job) I use a speedlight in a softbox. I use mine with both diffusers and the wide angle panel down. Can't quite remember when I started doing that but it is that far back I don't recall doing it any other way. It seems to work for me.

Gaz

:)

Next time you're just mucking about then, just try a shot at widest zoom setting, both without the wide panel, and then with it. See if it makes any difference to the light quality, and note the difference in exposure levels.

With a speedlight, it's important to get every drop of light from the flashgun that you can. An extra stop of brightness with no noticeable change in lighting effect, allows you to run at say half power rather than full power. The flashgun will recycle a lot quicker in roughly half the time so you don't miss fleeting expressions, it's far less likely to overheat and shut down (or possibly cause damage) and you'll get twice as many pops from a set of batteries.

Mount the flashgun so that it's properly inside the softbox with nothing to block or impede the light, and cover any gaps around the mount with white card (y)

Heeeh just found some styrofoam so now ive got a white background :)
Now on to something to use as subject, hmm:thinking:

Next time you're just mucking about then, just try a shot at widest zoom setting, both without the wide panel, and then with it. See if it makes any difference to the light quality, and note the difference in exposure levels.
Thanks for the info yes the recycle time would be most useful. Most times the flash is set to 1/4 power I up the iso to 200 a bit of a juggle between the flash power and the iso.

Gaz

cover any gaps around the mount with white card
Not done this before either.That said I do use the mount everyone links to on here which pretty much allows you to push the head of the speedlight a good way inside.

Gaz

Back