film and airports

Edit My Images
No
I understand both checked and unchecked luggage goes through xrays and these are bad for film.I want to bring both my canon a1 and holga on holiday with me in two weeks.Will airport security be ok with not scanning my film? :cautious::shrug:

Okay... :thinking:

Take all your film in carry on.

If you are flying through a BAA run airport, unless a host of angels appears you will have to put your film through the scanner.

But... Don't sweat, I've had iso 400 film go through 5 scans to no visible ill effects.

The only film I ever got hand checked was some iso 1600 B&W, and they were grumpy about it. If you use film at or below iso 400, you'll be fine for the flight in and out. Although the x-rays are cumulative at those iso ratings you'll have no problems. :)

As above really, take it on carry on. Ask to have it hand searched if your that bothered, they can just say 'no'.
Or you could get an xray lead lined bag, but I wouldnt be to worried really.
I think I read somewhere on the Illford website that there XP5 is safe to go through 8 times.

These days if they 'see' an unpenitrable 'object' they will turn up the x-ray until they can! (otherwise all terrorists would just store guns in them :) ) I wouldn't bother with these bags personally.

As others have said, for 'normal' holiday type flights (out and back or a couple of hops etc.) and up to ISO 400 film Just put them through as hand luggage and don't expect a 'walkthrough' in a clear bag these days you probably won't get it!

I believe checked-in baggage gets a higher dose of x-ray so don't put it in your case.

Yeah, don't use the protector bags they'll just fry it.

I usually carry it in a clear plastic bag, wave it at them and ask 'will my film be o.k.?' so they know what it is then put it in the tray along with my keys, wallet, mobile phone etc...

Not had a problem so far *touchwood*

I've had similar discussions with pros who travel the world and the general consensus is that x-ray is not harmful to exposed film as we have been led to believe. This is from folks who make a living at it using film, in and out of airports several times a week.
So I wouldn't sweat too much. It's always worth asking for a hand check, they can only say no. And the x-ray machines wont apparently cause any harm.

Back