Film awaits me...

karmagarda

Good between the sheets
Name
Conor
Edit My Images
Yes
So I went crazy and purchased a Lubitel 166B for the fun of it. Hopefully being delivered next week.

Now, the question is, what on earth should I stick in this beast! So I'm looking for recommendations on medium format film for this. I'll generally be using this outdoors and will probably vary between daytime and night, but mainly daytime I reckon. I'm up for both B&W or colour if it's available. I'm thinking of getting heaps of Ilford HP5 Plus 120 roll film for B&W stuff. But not sure. Would love to hear all your thoughts and advice!

:help:

I always recommend Ilford FP4+ (ISO 125) and HP5+ (ISO 400) for 35mm film, so I'd have no hesitation in recommending the same for 120 roll film. These are both excellent films and the FP4+ in particular is capable of producing some very nice enlargements. The HP5+ gives you the extra speed for shooting in low light levels, and is a good general purpose black & white film.

For colour, I'd suggest Kodak Ektar 100. I haven't used it personally, but all the reviews I've read about it say it's an excellent film.

I always recommend Ilford FP4+ (ISO 125) and HP5+ (ISO 400) for 35mm film, so I'd have no hesitation in recommending the same for 120 roll film. These are both excellent films and the FP4+ in particular is capable of producing some very nice enlargements. The HP5+ gives you the extra speed for shooting in low light levels, and is a good general purpose black & white film.

That would be my response too.

For colour, I'd suggest Kodak Ektar 100. I haven't used it personally, but all the reviews I've read about it say it's an excellent film.

So would I..... I have..... and it is!

Steve.

Ditto on all advice given, though there are so many different kinds of film, so I'd recommend starting off with FP4/HP5 and Ektar for colour, but then also try out the Fuji colour films - especially Velvia 50 or 100 for landscapes, Astia 100 for people/studio/portraits and Provia 400X for night stuff. Also give Neopan 400 B&W film a try - it rocks, pure and simple.

I shot Ektar many, many years ago and it was superb then but I would go for the 400 as you can lower it and take it higher with no degradation to the photos

I ended up going for Fuji Professional PRO160S and Ilford HP5+. Reason I went Fuji is it was slightly cheaper :LOL:. I will most likely give the Ektar a go once I get through my first lot of fuji.

I ended up going for Fuji Professional PRO160S and Ilford HP5+. Reason I went Fuji is it was slightly cheaper :LOL:. I will most likely give the Ektar a go once I get through my first lot of fuji.

Retail prices on Ilford seem to vary enormously. At Mathers, HP5+ 120 roll film is priced at £1.99, and from Ilford themselves it's £2.99. The most expensive I've seen is Jessops at £5.00! This huge variation applies also to 35mm film, so it's worth shopping around.

I've noticed that. Jessops quoted me £20 for 4 rolls alright. So screw that I thought! I ended up getting the Ilford HP5+ (400) for 1.99 a roll (if I bought 10). Got Fuji film for £2.49 per roll. This was all from 7dayshop.com. So all in all I paid about £45 for about 20 rolls of film. Same would have cost me £200+ from jessops.

Interesting, from looking at calumet online I could probably have picked up the Fujifilm cheaper off them. The same ilford rolls were more expensive though. Just goes to prove, you should shop around! I'll add Calumet to my list, thanks gingerjon

Back