Film camera lens and my nikon d40x.

jolsterj

Suspended / Banned
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello there,

Am I correct in saying that some old film camera lens will work on my nikon d40x?

I am expecting them to be manual focus if I am correct.

Could anybody point me into the right direction in how I will know if the lens will fit and work?

If I have in fact dreamt this fact and you are thinking ''what a prat'' lol

please tell me but in a friendly way.

Thanks in advance.(y)

I'm 99% sure that any camera except the Dxxx series upwards will only have manual exposure with manual lenses.

I'm 99% sure that any camera except the Dxxx series upwards will only have manual exposure with manual lenses.

no - some lens will only have manual exposure, but some will meter fine as well. Non-cpu lens will only meter properly on Dxxx cameras. Don't mount a Non-Ai lens on a nikon digital body though

Which lens is it?

Hugh

It is no lens in particular I just wanted to browse ebay and see what what available.

I would like something like up to 105mm 1.8 or as near as damnit.

cool - just watch out fo Non AI lens - they normally have a bayonet fitting on the side, and they'll damage your d40 if you try to mount

H.

Any AI lens that isn't intrusive will fit, but not meter on your D40.

The intrusive fisheyes will break the D40. You really aren't likely to come across them though, and I think all of them are fisheyes so you know what to look out for at least.

The light meter in your camera won't work. It won't let you use S, A, P or any of the scene modes and won't tell you how to expose in M mode. You'll have to guess and use the histogram to find the correct exposure.

The light meter in your camera won't work. It won't let you use S, A, P or any of the scene modes and won't tell you how to expose in M mode. You'll have to guess and use the histogram to find the correct exposure.

or use a light meter ;)

Back