Film Camera Reviews Discussion thread

Name
Andy Grant
Edit My Images
Yes
Just thought it might be an idea to have a review thread. We do get through a lot of kit in this section and I thought if people were to put up a quick review of any major kit they use it might be helpful to those who are searching for their next upgrade/swap/organ selling funded purchase.

Whatdya thing gang?

Andy

It could make for some interesting reading & debate. The Equipment forum has its own threads for the digital stuff so why not something similar for us filmies?

ok, lets do it. If anyone has anything to review go ahead and if Mark could sticky it that would be perfect. I'll review the new Bronny over the weekend as well.

ok, lets do it. If anyone has anything to review go ahead and if Mark could sticky it that would be perfect. I'll review the new Bronny over the weekend as well.

It's your Idea Andy... do a "Header" post - just a quick outline of what the thread is intended for so to speak - and i'll sticky it. Otherwise we'll end up with half a dozen people all writing something and posting seperate ones which I'll end up having to merge...

I'd suggest that the outline includes advice not to post anything other than actual reviews in there, otherwise someone will come along and waffle all over it and dilute the information...

Good thinking old chap, this is why you are our guru and mentor. I shall do one later today.

Well, its up and running. Just the 2 reviews so far but if anyone else has a new bit of kit feel free to give it a write up.

yep - going well - I may get around to doing a few of my bits and bobs over the next week or so, at least the ones I've already got photos of etc.

I'll pop one up for the Bronica GS-1 when I get the negs back and I'll do one for the Mamiya C??? system later as well.

Anyone else got anything they'd like to review. Doesn't matter if its an Oly Trip or a 'Blad or just your thoughts on a type of film every little bit helps and it could make it easier for you to decide what to buy next. :D

I like the way you set your Perkeo review out Mark, I shall do my next one in a similar vein I think.

I was wondering if the Massive Review Thread should be renamed to hint at Film a bit more (it will pop up on the front page from time to time), and also whether this one should be the "Discussion" thread, since TBY wants only reviews on the Massive?

I was wondering if the Massive Review Thread should be renamed to hint at Film a bit more (it will pop up on the front page from time to time), and also whether this one should be the "Discussion" thread, since TBY wants only reviews on the Massive?

Good point - I'll get right on it :).

A very sound idea from the wise and venerable Chris R.

Great idea and I have really enjoyed all of the reviews posted so far, well done chaps!

Pinholga Review Added. Thought it was time to add something that is in current production... :LOL:

Cool, if I get a chance I'll add a review for my Noon. Should be an interesting comparison with the holga since they're essentially the same thing just approached from a completely different angle.

Cool, if I get a chance I'll add a review for my Noon. Should be an interesting comparison with the holga since they're essentially the same thing just approached from a completely different angle.

That would be a really interesting comparison - I have to say, I bought the WPC120 on a whim, just for a laugh, and probably enjoyed shooting with that camera more than any of the others (at least back when I was actually taking the odd photograph :()

Well, its coming along quite nicely noe. A very good review of the Voigtlander R3a from Richard (Medway Green) which once again reminds me of what an idiot I was to sell it.:confused::D

Great stuff so far. I wish I had the eloquence to join in, plus most of my kit is well covered by reviews out in the big wide web.

Look forward to reading more ...

Really enjoying the review thread, might cost me some money though!

Hopefully I'll be arsed to review the dynax 9 with a bit about the dynax 7.

Well done folks, this is a cracking idea for a thread.

I expect to see a few from you Nick given the 3.6 million cameras you have owned/used and your well known verbosity and gift for rhetoric. :D

I expect to see a few from you Nick given the 3.6 million cameras you have owned/used and your well known verbosity and gift for rhetoric. :D
Are you trying to be clever?

Heaven forfend dear boy.....me, clever? Never.

I've added a link to the comprehensive selection of reviews of the Pentax MX on PentaxForums to my review of that camera in the Massive thread. I thought that might be a useful feature to help readers find varying views and perhaps more authoritative information?

If anyone spots any errors, please let me know...

A nice Pentax review from Chris and an interesting write up on the Noon pinhole from SteveMcg, keep them coming chaps and chapettes.

Nice simple review of the Mju Chris although I think the 5/10 score is a bit low? I agree that there are limited manual controls (you forgot the spot metering which I guess counts as a manual control) but it was designed to be a high quality point and shoot and it is.

I've had a few Mju ii's over the last few years because I buy one, run a few rolls through and remember how sharp the lens is then, as a photographer, get bored of the point and shoot usage and sell it on. I think they're victims of their own simplicity which was actually their point by design :0)

Cheers
Steve

Nice simple review of the Mju Chris although I think the 5/10 score is a bit low? I agree that there are limited manual controls (you forgot the spot metering which I guess counts as a manual control) but it was designed to be a high quality point and shoot and it is.

Yes, you may be right on the score. I kept changing it and probably will again. It is in fact my "take anywhere, always in the jacket pocket" camera. Not sure what you mean by the spot metering, though?

I'm never quite sure what one should do about such ratings. You'd expect 10/10 to be absolutely the best camera ever, and 0/10 to be absolutely the worst, so 5/10 would be a pretty good score. In practice, no-one gives 10/10 even for a M7, and everyone wants to see virtues ina camera, so you end up with a score range of 6-9 out of 10, which doesn't really tell us much. Have a look at the scores on PhotographyBlog, for example, or DPReview...

Anyway, this is a discussion thread, so does anyone else think I've been unduly mean, and what score would you suggest? I'm happy to amend the review to reflect what others think (and will try to show what's been changed).

I was the same with my scores and have probably marked the cameras I reviewed overly high (heart ruling head!) so it was just an observation. The Mju ii has spot metering built in by pressing the two rear buttons together so you can control backlit/lowlight metering with more definition. I've used it quite a few times and it certainly seemed to deliver consistent results.

Cheers
Steve

I'm never quite sure what one should do about such ratings. You'd expect 10/10 to be absolutely the best camera ever, and 0/10 to be absolutely the worst, so 5/10 would be a pretty good score. In practice, no-one gives 10/10 even for a M7, and everyone wants to see virtues ina camera, so you end up with a score range of 6-9 out of 10, which doesn't really tell us much. Have a look at the scores on PhotographyBlog, for example, or DPReview...

Cameras are tools designed to fulfil often very particular needs, so I'm not sure I'd agree that 10 be reserved for only the very best camera, as I'm not really sure one exists. A camera that scores a 10, in my mind, should be a camera that satisfies or exceeds the purposes for which it was designed. Does the Mju do what you would expect of a point and shoot camera? Does it offer more than this? Is there a point and shoot camera that is better?

Anyhow, these are just points for discussion. I've never used a Mju, so I cannot really comment on the camera in any depth.

OK, I've edited the review with a higher rating reviewed as a point and shoot camera, which makes more sense than rating it as a manual camera, which it isn't! As a P&S, it's PDG... Thanks Steve and RJ.

Back