Film cameras. Are they worth it?

if you shoot a roll of film every outing then yes it can become expensive so why not try being VERY selective of when you fire the shutter ( ie on scenes that really please you) , that way you may find that 36 exposures can last quite a while and ffer you a great deal thus making the cost seem negligible.

I definitely agree with this. I no longer shoot film myself, but when I did I tried to make every shot count. That's very different to the "take lots of shots and come home with a full card" mentality.

Of course, to an extent it depends on our goals and what we're shooting. With the likes of street photography it would be possible to go through a lot of film! But in other contexts it's all too easy with digital to shoot lots more inconsequential images.

And as someone in this thread has wisely pointed out: "It's the picture not it's quality that often (but by no means always) matters." Striking content typically trumps technical expertise and tons of resolution.

Thanks for all your replies. It's back in the wardrobe.

I admit I haven't read all of this thread, but I'll comment just the same :eek:

I feel it's a shame not to at least give it a try once. It's there, it won't cost much to try. All this talk of "better results" isn't really valid. They have a different look and a different appeal. Resolution and sharpness pishhhh! Doesn't matter. Try it you might like it.

It sounds like a lot of people judge an image by it's technical quality rather than the subject, I have a Sony A6000 which will take really sharp photos of any old crap and cost a fair amount I also have a £10 1970's Pracktica which will also take nearly as sharp images of any old crap. I find it equally as easy to take naff photos with both !

I admit I haven't read all of this thread, but I'll comment just the same :eek:

I feel it's a shame not to at least give it a try once. It's there, it won't cost much to try. All this talk of "better results" isn't really valid. They have a different look and a different appeal. Resolution and sharpness pishhhh! Doesn't matter. Try it you might like it.

If I really wanted to use the camera, I would, but well, money is tight at the moment.

Love this one. Film stock does capture 'people' in a certain way that looks interesting i think. Was this taken at some kind of recreation event? Very nice capture.
Thanks. Yes, it was the UK American Civil War Society doing a skirmish re-enactment at a local village fair, and very good they were too.

Last edited:
I have an old Pentax film camera and I've thought about using it with black and white film.

Is it worth the money to buy film and get them developed since it's epensive?

Very sorry to rain on your parade, but this is something we can't answer for you, because we don't know how much money you got in your own bank account. If you are rich, living in 6-bedroom home, with couple of sport cars, then maybe you're rich enough to say "it is worth it" but if you're poor, living in a council housing, with a banged up old car, then maybe you'll say "it is not worth it"

Is it worth the money, or is it not worth the money, depends on your budget and if you can afford it, therefore only you can answer your own question.

If you have an old film camera and want to take black and white photos, then that is great, I would say go for it. You must've got your own reasons for why you want to do B/W photography, and I would say go and enjoy it, but whether you go for it or not, is really up to you depending on if you can afford it or not.

Set yourself a project once a month or every couple of months. Took my Pentax S1A on hols to the Lakes and left my D700 at home. Loved it. Way more selective in my choice of images. Pity the scans were so crap.

I'm not using the camera. But thanks for all your replies

I'm not using the camera.
Take a few photos with it every now and then! Without film in it. Mechanical stuff that is not moved will eventually get stuck. If there's a battery in it, take it out when you're not using it!

At the latest when mirrorless cameras start simulating the sound of an SLR via loudspeaker, these old analogue cameras will continue to rise in value. :D

Back