Film cameras spotted in the wild

Maybe young married couples should get photos done using film as well as digi..athough you would have have to buy or agree to release the negs off the photographer. I don't know how long modern colour neg films can hold their colours, but mine taken 60 years ago have faded slightly and I used Photoshop to liven them up, but if they faded completely there is always B\W at the last resort.

There are literally trillions of jpgs in existence. I can't believe that we're going to wake up one day and not be able to read the files. Even if they did eventually move to another format then it would take many years and there would be ways to convert images to the new format.

There is much more chance of negatives being destroyed in a fire, lost in a house move or discarded between generations than there is of a universal file format that's been used for 25 years being unreadable due to obsolescence in my lifetime. And as Brian says, even if the negatives aren't destroyed or lost, they can deteriorate substantially.

edit: can't speel

Last edited:
There are literally trillions of jpgs in existence. I can't believe that we're going to wake up one day and not be able to read the files. Even if they did eventually move to another format then it would take many years and there would be ways to convert images to the new format.

Don't hold your breath on that one for too long. I know (first hand) of several large European companies who are on their second digitisation program of works after their original systems became obsolete, and there was no forwards comparability with their replacement systems.

There is much more chance of negatives being destroyed in a fire, lost in a house move or discarded between generations than there is of a universal file format that's been used for 25 years being unreadable due to obsolescence in my lifetime. And as Brian says, even if the negatives aren't destroyed or lost, they can deteriorate substantially.

Exactly this. The notion that film is somewhat more likely to survive the ages I think is a bit of a nonsense. It's not like one day we'll wake up and all our digital files or drives will be incompatible and unusable. With forward planning, and I'm not talking a lot here, it is all just as future proof, if not more with cloud services, than film.

That aside, I'm leaning much more the same way at the moment too. I'm just under 30 years old and whilst I'm not quite as hipster as @Carl Hall and @gazmorton2000 are, I've been checked out of social media (aside form a couple of forums) for over a year and make a real conscious effort to not use my phone unless I need to (a smartphone is an actual necessity for me for work and other reasons).

I do think all of this is part of the same line of thinking that is drawing me more and more towards film. I have been toying with going digital free for a while now but not been able to commit to the jump, though I don't know that I need to other than to prove a point to myself. I use whichever medium I fancy on the given day, and film has become the more common choice recently. I can't put into words why, you all know the reasons though.

Don't get me wrong I'm in now way a film or the highway zealot. The mobile phone camera gets used an awful lot for test shots before I reach for the camera, and I even use it to survey locations & plan future visits.

Film versus digital is a bit like picking up a vinyl LP, versus a CD. Both hold the same source recording, its just that one is encoded with a digital stream, and the other has a three-dimensional grooves cut into it. The pro's cons of both are well known.

I am very personalty surprised at the resurgence in vinyl records TBH.......

I've been to Escape in Castleford today and took my Canon AE1 Program loaded with a roll of Agfa APX 400 with me instead of my 60D as I just wanted to shoot film. Took a handful of shots of my kids on the climbing walls, hopefully they'll look ok when processed. I've recently shoot a roll of Ilford XP2 in my Canon 300v and I loved the results. There is something about XP2 that I love, it just looks great to me. There's something about shooting film that I just love

It's certainly interesting that film does seem to be getting more popular. I was on the way back from a meeting in Barking the other day and had the Pentax MX in my bag with several shots left on the film after the F&C London meet. I got off the tube and went for a wander down Brick Lane - there were a few people taking photos on their phones, but also a young woman (early 20s) shooting with an OM-1n. I talked to her about using a film camera and she explained that she was doing an architecture degree, and apparently using a film camera was part of an assignment. She said she did find it quite difficult getting more than 10 or so good shots from a roll, but was actually really enjoying the challenge.

I'm just really getting in to film again (started with it originally then moved to digital), but I do and will continue to use a DSLR - particularly for action, low light, and macro, where taking multiple shots can significantly increase the chances of getting a good one. In complete contrast, on the film front, I'm really looking forward to receiving my Croma 5x4.

It's funny you should mention all that, Carl.

I have also cancelled Spotify and have bought myself an iPod classic for listening to music.

I guess I have a similar approach to music as photography. I have over 1000 CDs collected over the years, all ripped to FLAC format and stored on a NAS, accessed via Sonos connects into amps and speakers and therefore available in multiple rooms throughout the house. I also have Spotify linked to this, so can play pretty much anything, and have no plans of dropping it. It's great for finding new music and also accessing stuff that you've not actually bought previously. Sometimes on the back of finding a new album, I'll then buy the CD, rip it and add it to the NAS collection and/or try to find a copy on vinyl.

I missed out on vinyl first time around - my first proper hifi was a CD player, amp and speakers bought in 1987 when CDs were just taking over. Then around 15 years ago (before it became trendy), I added a turntable, and so now have a fair number of LPs, and turntables in 2 rooms in the house. I enjoy listening to complete albums from the NAS, playlists on Spotify, and also the experience of putting an LP on the turntable. To take the digital/analogue thing even further, one of the turntables is run through a conventional transistor amp, the other through a valve amp!

... deciding I wanted to learn handwriting. I mean proper handwriting as mine is shambolic. It's legible, but only bacuse I write in uppercase. Ha.

This also strikes a chord. My handwriting had really deteriorated due to going completely paperless at work for a number of years, when 2 years ago I came across a random thread on a motoring forum (of all places) titled, "Do you use a fountain pen?". After getting a couple of new pens (a Jinhao from eBay, then a TWSBI Eco), nostalgia kicked in and remembering my mum used to use an old Parker, it was off to that popular auction site. I've ended up with quite a few old pens and different bottles of ink, found a new interest in renovating them (including a wonderful 1920s Parker Duofold "Lucky Curve" - the marbled green one towards the bottom of this FlickR album), and improved my handwriting out of all recognition. @gazmorton2000 - if you haven't already, I'd recommend trying a fountain pen as it makes writing a pleasure and really seems to help it improve. If you want to try one for very little cost, the Chinese made Jinhao X450, or X750 can be had for well under £10 new from eBay. They write well and are a bit of a bargain. Happy also to recommend inks and papers if you're interested.

I guess in summary, there are pros and cons to both old and new technology, so why not use the best of both?

This also strikes a chord. My handwriting had really deteriorated due to going completely paperless at work for a number of years, when 2 years ago I came across a random thread on a motoring forum (of all places) titled, "Do you use a fountain pen?". After getting a couple of new pens (a Jinhao from eBay, then a TWSBI Eco), nostalgia kicked in and remembering my mum used to use an old Parker, it was off to that popular auction site. I've ended up with quite a few old pens and different bottles of ink, found a new interest in renovating them (including a wonderful 1920s Parker Duofold "Lucky Curve" - the marbled green one towards the bottom of this FlickR album), and improved my handwriting out of all recognition. @gazmorton2000 - if you haven't already, I'd recommend trying a fountain pen as it makes writing a pleasure and really seems to help it improve. If you want to try one for very little cost, the Chinese made Jinhao X450, or X750 can be had for well under £10 new from eBay. They write well and are a bit of a bargain. Happy also to recommend inks and papers if you're interested.

I guess in summary, there are pros and cons to both old and new technology, so why not use the best of both?

Thank you. My friend surprised me with a Lamy Joy for my birthday as it’s him who got me into the idea. I also bought myself a Lamy Studio and have been writing with it for three days now and using Mont Blanc Toffee Brown Ink. I’m very much enjoying it and have been looking for resources to help me improve. It’s going to be a long journey. Gonna buy a Rhodia pad at weekend.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: C&C
Thank you. My friend surprised me with a Lamy Joy for my birthday as it’s him who got me into the idea. I also bought myself a Lamy Studio and have been writing with it for three days now and using Mont Blanc Toffee Brown Ink. I’m very much enjoying it and have been looking for resources to help me improve. It’s going to be a long journey. Gonna buy a Rhodia pad at weekend.

Ok - you're definitely on the right track. Lamy pens have a great reputation, Montblanc inks are very good (as are Pelikan and Graf von Faber Castell), and Rhodia paper is highly recommended - either the 80gsm or 90gsm weight. One exercise is to repeatedly write the same letter across the page, aiming for the last one to be exactly the same as the first, but the main thing to improving is lots and lots of practise! :)

Ok - you're definitely on the right track. Lamy pens have a great reputation, Montblanc inks are very good (as are Pelikan and Graf von Faber Castell), and Rhodia paper is highly recommended - either the 80gsm or 90gsm weight. One exercise is to repeatedly write the same letter across the page, aiming for the last one to be exactly the same as the first, but the main thing to improving is lots and lots of practise! :)

Thank you. I will certainly try. The inks are beautiful. I am starting a list of which ones I love that I see online. Anyways, getting off the original topic here. Ha. Thank you for the advice. :)

Reactions: C&C
Perhaps relevant to this discussion - I've just stumbled on this short documentary on the 'UK's analogue community' which was just posted on youtube. I believe this was sponsored by the Intrepid view camera company. If you manage to make it past the speaker's odd vocal fry register I think this makes for interesting viewing

ANALOGUE (DOCUMENTING THE FILM COMMUNITY)

Perhaps relevant to this discussion - I've just stumbled on this short documentary on the 'UK's analogue community' which was just posted on youtube. I believe this was sponsored by the Intrepid view camera company. If you manage to make it past the speaker's odd vocal fry register I think this makes for interesting viewing

ANALOGUE (DOCUMENTING THE FILM COMMUNITY)

Interesting but for me it's preaching to the converted....I try in my own way to get my sons and grandson interested in shooting film (and would even give them a camera), but I'm flogging a dead horse and they just find it amusing I still use film. o_O:(

Back