Film cameras spotted in the wild

Name
Nige
Edit My Images
No
I went to see the Martin Parr exhibition at Manchester Art Gallery today. As well as visiting the gallery, I also wandered around the city centre taking photos. I saw six people with film cameras (a couple of Olympus OM's, a Nikon FE, a Canon AE, and a couple that I didn't see closely enough to identify) during my walkabout, which was nice. With the exception of one guy who I'd estimate was in his 50s, all of the photographers were young. It may be that Manchester just attracts more hip-filmies, but I've noticed it in my home town of Sheffield too, again with the owners being generally younger folks.

Obviously the price of equipment rising again points to this continuing resurgence, but it's nice to witness it first-hand too.

I've seen quite a few film cameras in Manchester recently as well, usually in the hip northern quarter and usually, as you spotted, younger folk.

But.. how many of them were actually taking pictures with these film cameras? Film cameras are fashionable among certain young people who associate themselves with a particular peer group. They are not into using film, they are more interested in how the aesthetics of certain 1980's film SLR cameras visually complement the clothes they wear.

But.. how many of them were actually taking pictures with these film cameras? Film cameras are fashionable among certain young people who associate themselves with a particular peer group. They are not into using film, they are more interested in how the aesthetics of certain 1980's film SLR cameras visually complement the clothes they wear.
really?

To be fair to at least a couple of them, they did appear to be actually using their cameras to take pictures. I did have a short conversation with a young chap in London last month who was shooting with an OM1 and he just preferred the look of film shots and the fact that there was no instant gratification.

I went to see the Martin Parr exhibition at Manchester Art Gallery today. As well as visiting the gallery, I also wandered around the city centre taking photos. I saw six people with film cameras (a couple of Olympus OM's, a Nikon FE, a Canon AE, and a couple that I didn't see closely enough to identify) during my walkabout, which was nice. With the exception of one guy who I'd estimate was in his 50s, all of the photographers were young. It may be that Manchester just attracts more hip-filmies, but I've noticed it in my home town of Sheffield too, again with the owners being generally younger folks.

Obviously the price of equipment rising again points to this continuing resurgence, but it's nice to witness it first-hand too.

I was in Manchester yesterday afternoon too so one of them could have been me with my Xpan. I got asked a few times what it was yesterday, once from a group of three men in suits about to go into an office. Took the time to tell them what it was, how it shot and the format it used and they seemed quite interested.
You're right, there are quite a few people out shooting in Manchester with film. Jake, who works at Real Camera goes out every lunch break with his M4 for a wander, shooting and printing in his dark room. I saw him yesterday in fact.

Lots of them were actually taking pictures. Film is very much alive and well with younger people. I genuinely believe some young folk are tiring of technology, and a couple people I have discussed this with agree with me. As long as they are buying film and the cameras, it keep it alive, which for me personally means photography will live on.

Most of them were taking photographs with them that I saw (it was at the Strike for Climate Change pretest where I saw many of them). None of them were dressed in any particular style, and while I didn’t follow them around to check, I had no doubts that they were using their cameras as they were intended.

On the occasions I’ve chatted with younger* film photographers in Sheffield, they’ve always been knowledgeable about their cameras, and have talked about preferred film stocks and the subjects they like to photograph, so I don’t expect the people I saw in Manchester to be any different in that regard.

*I’m not fifty yet, so hopefully not over the hill myself yet either. :)

14eaa9f0d2b46f230aafdc1e977bb51a--akira-anime-anime-japones.jpg

https://thirdculture.jp/blogs/news/katsuhiro-otomos-akira-canon-t70-commercial-japan-1984

But.. how many of them were actually taking pictures with these cameras? DSLRs + 70-200s are fashionable among certain old people who associate themselves with a particular peer group. They are not into photography, they are more interested in how the aesthetics of certain large white lenses and gripped cameras visually complement the clothes they wear.

Fixed that for you. :p

To seriously answer your question, I'm sure they all shoot them regularly judging by how busy the my regular labs are here in London.

I've been to a few of the Leedsfilmphoto photo walks now and just about all of the other photographers there are younger than me (I'm 32). All very knowledgeable and some of them are even experimenting with coating their own glass plates etc. One lad was showing me photos of a Leeds built 5x7 SLR that he had recently bought (similar to the Graflex SLR) and that he was trying to adapt to allow him to use more readily available film stocks.

Even in Sheffield I have been stopped a few times now by people who recognise the camera that I'm using. Most recently I had a youngish (Mid 20's) guy shout over to me to compliment my M2.

Fingers crossed people keep buying film so that it remains (relatively) easily available.

Well I'm outside London and haven't seen anybody using a film camera..mind you this is not at events. The last time I was talking to a camera guy out my way, and he was a semi pro, and he never stopped talking about his Nikon D700 and showed me what it could do :sleep:, I remember this well as, as we were talking there was a small roar from a scooter and we turned round to see a guy on a scooter who did a wheely and came off :rolleyes:

Snip:
I remember this well as, as we were talking there was a small roar from a scooter and we turned round to see a guy on a scooter who did a wheely and came off :rolleyes:
Are you sure he hadn't just lost control after recoiling in horror at the sight of your T70? ;)

Last edited:
I saw someone the other day at the Eden Project with a film camera. I think it was one of those lomo Diana ones but I didn't chat as he seemed to cool to talk to an old fart like me :cautious:

Snip:
Are you sure he hadn't just lost control after recoiling in horror at the sight of your T70? ;)

:D but a good camera to use if I knew it was going to happen firing 2.5 frames\sec...
From stationary he revved the bike (which made us look) then some how the front wheel lifted and he came off and all within a distance of about 15 yards, he was unhurt and just got on the bike and drove off...no girls or bikers around so he wasn't showing off...what a plonker.

Last edited:
I went to see the Martin Parr exhibition at Manchester Art Gallery today. As well as visiting the gallery, I also wandered around the city centre taking photos. I saw six people with film cameras (a couple of Olympus OM's, a Nikon FE, a Canon AE, and a couple that I didn't see closely enough to identify) during my walkabout, which was nice. With the exception of one guy who I'd estimate was in his 50s, all of the photographers were young. It may be that Manchester just attracts more hip-filmies, but I've noticed it in my home town of Sheffield too, again with the owners being generally younger folks..

Interesting. I've observed this in other cities throughout Europe too. I do think that film photography is experiencing a resurgence, perhaps akin to the one that's been going on around turntables and vinyl records for the past 15 years.

Being in my late thirties, I'm perhaps outside of the demographic responsible for this resurgence (mainly 20-somethings, based on what I, just like you, see in the street). However I started with film myself in the early 90s, then tried digital SLRs for a few years in the 00s, and now I'm back to film. I'd like to suggest a couple of reasons, amongst others, for this comeback.

Firstly, and I think somebody else in the thread touched on this, the internet is saturated with images and social media encourages users to compete for attention and for likes. I think the 'film aesthetics' (if such a thing exists) is being used by many millennials as a vehicle to allow their content to stand out. I have noticed many new film photography users choose to retain dust on their negatives, and choose not to fix light leaks in their film camera, and use the resulting imperfections as creative devices. Art? Incubator of future art? Hipster ethics? Maybe a bit of everything.

Secondly, and this resonates more deeply with me and I'm sure many people in this forum - digital photography is expensive but ultimately, for many people, not rewarding. It is tiresome, and distracting, how a lot of the focus around photography nowadays seems to be about gear, gear, gear. We need the highest number of megapixels, the latest and greatest f/1.4 medium tele with the greatest #bokeh, we need super expensive software to post produce the shots. Just take a look at websites like www.dpreview.com/forums. Thousands of people foaming at the mouth if someone has an unfavourable opinion on their favourite sensor, editing tool, brand, or lens. At the same time, little, and often mediocre, actual photography. I mean, there are entire discussions around FPS and continuous shooting capabilities. People getting upset that camera X is only doing 5fps rather than 6. I mean are we talking about Lamborghini vs Aston Martin here? Is everybody taking pictures of hummingbirds in flight in Costa Rica?

But back to my second point above, I think many of these young film photography adopters find the simplicity and low (initial) cost of film photography refreshing. You can still find an Om2 with a Zuiko 50 f/1.8 in Oxfam for 50 quid. Boots will still process your negatives in 24hrs for £4 or so. Any 22yo with a little spare cash can get an Epson V500 up and running and get excellent scans. Youtube, reddit, blogs are overflowing with advice on Vuescan, overexposing Portra, cinestill anti-halation and stand development in Rodinal. I would suggest that the whole creative flow, especially to someone who's only known photography through the screen on their mobile phone, can be extremely rewarding.

I am aware this wave of interest means traditional used cameras are more expensive. I'd imagine the higher prices will hurt the camera hoarders and the older demographics of collectors the most (spot these people on flickr: the only photos they have in their feed are ensemble shots of their 15 slightly different models of Rolleiflex TLRs, taken with their Nikon D850 ;) ). I actually think it's great when these venerable mechanical wonders of a bygone era (I'm talking about the cameras here) are back in the streets taking photos. Also, obviously more film users who shoot+develop+scan = higher likelihood of film/chemistry/scanner producers to stay afloat.

So what's not to like! Welcome youngsters imho :)

Last edited:
Interesting. I've observed this in other cities throughout Europe too. I do think that film photography is experiencing a resurgence, perhaps akin to the one that's been going on around turntables and vinyl records for the past 15 years.

Being in my late thirties, I'm perhaps outside of the demographic responsible for this resurgence (mainly 20-somethings, based on what I, just like you, see in the street). However I started with film myself in the early 90s, then tried digital SLRs for a few years in the 00s, and now I'm back to film. I'd like to suggest a couple of reasons, amongst others, for this comeback.

Firstly, and I think somebody else in the thread touched on this, the internet is saturated with images and social media encourages users to compete for attention and for likes. I think the 'film aesthetics' (if such a thing exists) is being used by many millennials as a vehicle to allow their content to stand out. I have noticed many new film photography users choose to retain dust on their negatives, and choose not to fix light leaks in their film camera, and use the resulting imperfections as creative devices. Art? Incubator of future art? Hipster ethics? Maybe a bit of everything.

Secondly, and this resonates more deeply with me and I'm sure many people in this forum - digital photography is expensive but ultimately, for many people, not rewarding. It is tiresome, and distracting, how a lot of the focus around photography nowadays seems to be about gear, gear, gear. We need the highest number of megapixels, the latest and greatest f/1.4 medium tele with the greatest #bokeh, we need super expensive software to post produce the shots. Just take a look at websites like www.dpreview.com/forums. Thousands of people foaming at the mouth if someone has an unfavourable opinion on their favourite sensor, editing tool, brand, or lens. At the same time, little, and often mediocre, actual photography. I mean, there are entire discussions around FPS and continuous shooting capabilities. People getting upset that camera X is only doing 5fps rather than 6. I mean are we talking about Lamborghini vs Aston Martin here? Is everybody taking pictures of hummingbirds in flight in Costa Rica?

But back to my second point above, I think many of these young film photography adopters find the simplicity and low (initial) cost of film photography refreshing. You can still find an Om2 with a Zuiko 50 f/1.8 in Oxfam for 50 quid. Boots will still process your negatives in 24hrs for £4 or so. Any 22yo with a little spare cash can get an Epson V500 up and running and get excellent scans. Youtube, reddit, blogs are overflowing with advice on Vuescan, overexposing Portra, cinestill anti-halation and stand development in Rodinal. I would suggest that the whole creative flow, especially to someone who's only known photography through the screen on their mobile phone, can be extremely rewarding.

I am aware this wave of interest means traditional used cameras are more expensive. I'd imagine the higher prices will hurt the camera hoarders and the older demographics of collectors the most (spot these people on flickr: the only photos they have in their feed are ensemble shots of their 15 slightly different models of Rolleiflex TLRs, taken with their Nikon D850 ;) ). I actually think it's great when these venerable mechanical wonders of a bygone era (I'm talking about the cameras here) are back in the streets taking photos. Also, obviously more film users who shoot+develop+scan = higher likelihood of film/chemistry/scanner producers to stay afloat.

So what's not to like! Welcome youngsters imho :)

Great post!

Would love to see the 'bullet holes' in you if some of this was quoted in the gear threads on here - one poster continually moans about the FPS of the latest nikon mirrorless and how he couldn't cope with only 6fps! Completely mad - he isn't even a pro sports tog but takes pictures of horses trotting around!

Last edited:
:agree: a very well written and thoughtful post, and one with which I agree wholeheartedly.

Great post!

Would love to see the 'bullet holes' in you if some of this was quoted in the gear threads on here - one poster continually moans about the FPS of the latest nikon mirrorless and how he couldn't cope with only 6fps! Completely mad - he isn't even a pro sports tog but takes pictures of horses trotting around!
:agree: a very well written and thoughtful post, and one with which I agree wholeheartedly.

:plus1:

Vinyl is the analogy that I tend to use too. On the surface, the analogue format of vinyl has a lot of disadvantages compared to digital music: it's less convenient; it's more easily damaged; it takes up more space etc. But that overlooks that fact that, sometimes, listening to music is about more than just the sounds you hear. There's a whole process that adds pleasure to the experience: Flicking through a physical collection of albums to choose the one you want to listen to; looking at the cover art as you remove the disk from the sleeve; placing it on the deck; hearing that lovely warm sound as the needle makes contact with the vinyl; the additional crackles and pops that come from tiny pieces of dust or other imperfections on the disk; and the fact that you then sit back and listen to a whole piece of music without the easy option to just flick to the next track or album at the touch of a screen. That's not to say that there aren't huge benefits to digital music - the portability and access to huge libraries in an instant are wonderful as well - but is skips some of the things that, through their very incovenience, add to the experience.

Photography is like this for me too. I love the convenience and quality of images that I can get from my digital cameras and I use them often, but I also love the analogue process that comes from using film. Everything from choosing a film stock to use; loading the film into the camera (and all the different way that can happen depending on the camera you use; the wonderful sensation of the film being wound through the camera after a shot; and the brilliant sense of expectation and anticipation from having to wait to see the results (and how glorious it feels when they come back matching, or even exceding your expectations). And, for those who do so, the additional enjoyment of developing and even printing their photographs.

I think many younger photographers enjoy (as do I) these additional experiences that film photograpy brings and are willing to forgo the advantages of digital or, indeed, take advantage of the merits of both formats.

If someone was to invent a teleportation machine then it would revolutionise the convenience of travel, but I'd bet a lot of people would miss the journey.

"If someone was to invent a teleportation machine then it would revolutionise the convenience of travel, but I'd bet a lot of people would miss the journey"

That's fantastic Fishyfish did that come from your own head ?

Last edited:
As Robert Louis Stevenson put it "To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive", and how often is that true of photography (as well as life in general, all too often)?

Yeap - when I have taken pictures with the film loaded incorrectly the pictures and the taking of them were superb! :exit:

....but still after all the posts for explanations or for and against etc etc about film, it just boils down to: - people continue to use film cameras because that like or want to

I genuinely believe some young folk are tiring of technology

Oh my God yes.

I used to be a bit of a gadget nerd and always had the latest smart phones and computers etc. Last spring I started trying to grow my own vegetables in the garden, so spent some time before and after work each day watering, pruning and harvesting. I spent more time in the garden and less time on the computer and in front of the TV, and I found that I really enjoyed it. I was so happy being outside getting dirt under my fingernails with the sun on my face and the birds chirping in the tress, instead of inside scrolling through social media on the sofa. I made a conscious decision to make my life simpler.

My smart phone died soon after so I replaced it with a cheap dumb phone that only makes calls and sends texts. After that I had no need for Spotify so I cancelled my account and got an old iPod to play the music I'd already paid for years ago. I stopped going on Facebook (best decision ever) and tried to spend much less time on the laptop. I still watch a bit of Netflix mind, because their shows are killing it at the moment!

Strangely, I find myself actually being bored much less now, and I think it's all in the mind. For example, yesterday I was at the dentist and they were running a bit late. In the waiting room there were four other people, and three of them were on their phones scrolling away. A year ago I would have been with them, scrolling through Facebook trying to find something to do. Now I'm happy to just sit for ten minutes and let my brain tick over.

My friends all think I'm a hipster now though. A scruffy beard, thick black glasses, film camera and "old" phone.

Technology is great when it has a purpose. But too often people care more about what a gadget can do, than whether or not it's actually of any use.

Oh my God yes.

I used to be a bit of a gadget nerd and always had the latest smart phones and computers etc. Last spring I started trying to grow my own vegetables in the garden, so spent some time before and after work each day watering, pruning and harvesting. I spent more time in the garden and less time on the computer and in front of the TV, and I found that I really enjoyed it. I was so happy being outside getting dirt under my fingernails with the sun on my face and the birds chirping in the tress, instead of inside scrolling through social media on the sofa. I made a conscious decision to make my life simpler.

My smart phone died soon after so I replaced it with a cheap dumb phone that only makes calls and sends texts. After that I had no need for Spotify so I cancelled my account and got an old iPod to play the music I'd already paid for years ago. I stopped going on Facebook (best decision ever) and tried to spend much less time on the laptop. I still watch a bit of Netflix mind, because their shows are killing it at the moment!

Strangely, I find myself actually being bored much less now, and I think it's all in the mind. For example, yesterday I was at the dentist and they were running a bit late. In the waiting room there were four other people, and three of them were on their phones scrolling away. A year ago I would have been with them, scrolling through Facebook trying to find something to do. Now I'm happy to just sit for ten minutes and let my brain tick over.

My friends all think I'm a hipster now though. A scruffy beard, thick black glasses, film camera and "old" phone.

Technology is great when it has a purpose. But too often people care more about what a gadget can do, than whether or not it's actually of any use.

It's funny you should mention all that, Carl. I was getting increasingly tired of seeing people out together, couples, friends, not talking over meals or whatever and scrolling so in a big, knee jerk reaction, I sold my iPhone on here (think it was November) and bought a phone that only does calls and texts. Everything is fine so far and the world hasn't ended. I still use the computer still spend time on the computer or the iPad but I don't take these out of the house with me and I use the ipad less in the house than I did with my phone. I have also cancelled Spotify and have bought myself an iPod classic for listening to music. I read more and have been on a book buying spree recently as well as deciding I wanted to learn handwriting. I mean proper handwriting as mine is shambolic. It's legible, but only bacuse I write in uppercase. Ha.

Taken me a while to stop caring what peoples opinions on me are but I am getting there. I think age helps. And as you know, I have been 100% film shooter for a while now and that isn't going to change.

I am what you call a millennial and mostly shoot film these days. I just like this sensation of loading the film, being in total control of that camera does and then handling the physical pictures.

Yes, ironically I digitise them afterwards anyway using my digital camera. But even that process is half analogue as I use a colour head and actively employ colour compensation controls.

For me the entire thing is very soothing and therapeutic. It's difficult to describe this sensation of calm and warmth that it gives.

I still shot quite a lot on digital when I feel like it, but it's just not the same and will probably never be for me.

There is also a growing appreciation or belief that analogue photography is more an honest expression of the real. It provides direct 'evidence' of reality unlike digital which is essentially a collection of data, or 'non-real' ephemera of 1's and 0's quite unlike a negative which is a direct physical representation of reality and therefor more 'faithful'. Physical and therefore real, evidence of existence.

I doubt any of these new young film users think in these terms however, and even less I suspect are aware of the true amount of manipulation that can alter the faithfulness of any analogue image. But, I do think an underlying sense (or feeling) about inherent 'digital unfaithfulness' does influence their desire for film cameras usage. Maybe it's about getting real and away from the fake.

This leads to more and more people avoiding the call of social media and validation by the herd. This is a good thing. There are more important things in life than 'likes' Making a picture that resonates with how you feel or expresses something of your own convictions, is personal to you and when it works well, is a very satisfying objective to obtain. How that is obtained, whether digital or analogue, is mostly irrelevant. Travelling with expectation is often more important than arriving.

You can still print an image off a film plate that is over a hundred years old, and off roll film negatives that are around the same vintage.

What will happen in the same time period with your .jpg or .tif file stored carefully on that swanky USB memory stick,USB drive or cloud storage device............

It's funny you should mention all that, Carl. I was getting increasingly tired of seeing people out together, couples, friends, not talking over meals or whatever and scrolling so in a big, knee jerk reaction, I sold my iPhone on here (think it was November) and bought a phone that only does calls and texts. Everything is fine so far and the world hasn't ended. I still use the computer still spend time on the computer or the iPad but I don't take these out of the house with me and I use the ipad less in the house than I did with my phone. I have also cancelled Spotify and have bought myself an iPod classic for listening to music. I read more and have been on a book buying spree recently as well as deciding I wanted to learn handwriting. I mean proper handwriting as mine is shambolic. It's legible, but only bacuse I write in uppercase. Ha.

Taken me a while to stop caring what peoples opinions on me are but I am getting there. I think age helps. And as you know, I have been 100% film shooter for a while now and that isn't going to change.

Wow that's weird! The iPod I bought was a Classic as well haha. I've been using it to listen to audiobooks on the walk to work as well, which is great as I get well into a story and then it makes me want to walk to work the next day (sometimes I drive if I'm feeling lazy) so that I can find out what happens.

Now that I don't use a "proper" phone, I really notice people around me using them more, and I get quite irritated when I'm talking to someone and they pull out their phone and tap away on it. I used to be one of the people at the pub that used to be staring at their phones, but now I'm forced to actually talk to people more which is great for me as an introvert.

Back