Film Challenge 01 Discussion

I went to see if it really was rust and, it is.
Just been through Flickr accidentally and that shot has been done to death, so its now officially ordinary:(
It is Velvia though...so....:)

Big rusty thing on 100F

AapsT.jpg

:cool: :clap:

I agree, awesome image Joxby (y)

If everyone is happy we can extend it another week, so it now finishes on the 11th. Images can be taken between then and now but the chances are that you have already taken them :D

I agree, awesome image Joxby (y)

If everyone is happy we can extend it another week, so it now finishes on the 11th. Images can be taken between then and now but the chances are that you have already taken them :D

Fine by me (y)

If Fuji and/or Peak Imaging come up with the goods on schedule, I may have something to show by Monday or Tuesday. :cautious:

I'm just being tight with mine. I could send it off to Peak and get it done (which I might still do) but I've just switched to Ilford DD-X and I've got a two reel drum but only one roll of SFX200 and one roll of Pan50. Ideally I need to shoot another roll of each to make the developing worth while. If I develop in the single tank it uses more chemicals per roll which will then leave me with an unusable amount left in the bottle. Chances of me shooting another roll of each this weekend are slim to none though seeing as I've got work to do on my car and a house to clean. Bad times.:thumbsdown:

Well, I wanna complain. Took a few films with the Hexar in Turkey (3 Fuji Reala and 2 Rollei Retro). As you do (if you are a lazy git) you drop the colour ones off to be developed at the local tog's emporium while you nip to Morrisons, then collect them on the way back... leaving the BW ones to develop yourself at home. So I did. And pretty much *every* *single* *frame* of the colour ones look like tourist pics :(. I mean yes, they are pin sharp, yes the exposures are spot on - it was the Hexar after all...) but why only those that someone else develops and sees? The BW ones hanging from the dining room curtain rail look excellent, so at least I'll have *something* to post here but... dammitall :shrug:

I'm well ****** off with myself. I shot two rolls, not with this in mind but they should have produce something pretty good for it following a trip to the National Memorial Arboretum. Unfortunately when I turned up I found there was no take up spool in the film back (I'd had it apart to replace the seals) so I had to write off a roll of Acros to salvage a spool. That left me with 1 roll of Pan50 and one roll of SFX200.

Following some advice about SFX200 I ordered some DDX to replace my usual Ilfosol3 developer. It would have been nice to develop them at the same time but they've got different timings. So I souped the Pan50 first, it was the first time I'd used it, new film, new developer, a cold house and long developing times. The first two frames are okay but the rest are ******. I've either cocked the exposure up or cocked the development up. I made a contact sheet at my usual timings and the first two frames produced something vaguely workable but I've had no time for printing this week. I then experimented with the contact sheet to see if I could pull any information out of the other negatives, I can but the exposure times are stupidly long and I think they'll be a pig to print. No doubt if I try to scan them they'll just be a noisy mush.

As for the SFX200, well I haven't had time to develop that but after the results of Pan50, I'm not sure I want to:(

Well, I wanna complain. Took a few films with the Hexar in Turkey (3 Fuji Reala and 2 Rollei Retro). As you do (if you are a lazy git) you drop the colour ones off to be developed at the local tog's emporium while you nip to Morrisons, then collect them on the way back... leaving the BW ones to develop yourself at home. So I did. And pretty much *every* *single* *frame* of the colour ones look like tourist pics :(. I mean yes, they are pin sharp, yes the exposures are spot on - it was the Hexar after all...) but why only those that someone else develops and sees? The BW ones hanging from the dining room curtain rail look excellent, so at least I'll have *something* to post here but... dammitall :shrug:

Arthur, have you tried developing colour film yourself?

If you haven't, it's straightforward once you have a system to keep the temperature fairly constant.

Arthur, have you tried developing colour film yourself?

If you haven't, it's straightforward once you have a system to keep the temperature fairly constant.

What is the system you use? I'd shoot loads more colour 120 if I could dev it at home...

Big aluminium pot filled with hot water from the tap. Chuck you pre-mixed bottles of chemicals in the pot with a thermometer on a ribbon in the dev bottle and wait for the it to get up to 38deg C. Then start your developing.

While developing, put the thermometer in the next chemical and gauge it's temperature. As it would have been in the pot for longer than the first chem, you'll probably need to take it out the pot to cool a little - should be at the right temp by the time the dev is finished.

As long as the temperatures are in the ballpark (ie. 37deg is OK and 39deg is OK), you should be fine.

Big aluminium pot filled with hot water from the tap. Chuck you pre-mixed bottles of chemicals in the pot with a thermometer on a ribbon in the dev bottle and wait for the it to get up to 38deg C. Then start your developing.

While developing, put the thermometer in the next chemical and gauge it's temperature. As it would have been in the pot for longer than the first chem, you'll probably need to take it out the pot to cool a little - should be at the right temp by the time the dev is finished.

As long as the temperatures are in the ballpark (ie. 37deg is OK and 39deg is OK), you should be fine.

:agree: - though I've got a double sink in the utility room where I do my developing, and I fill one sink with hot water as tempering liquid for the chemicals, pre-heat liquid prior to initial development, and also as rinse water between bleach/fix and stabiliser baths on C41 , and between each stage for E6. The other sink allows me to wash up measuring cylinders/funnels as I go along :LOL:

I have some shots I took on Friday that I wont have developed until Monday. Can I still enter tomorrow night or will it be too late?

I have some shots I took on Friday that I wont have developed until Monday. Can I still enter tomorrow night or will it be too late?

Monday will be fine, but after that should we close the thread and maybe set up a poll for your favorite image?

I have a feeling this may get dragged out... :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broadcasting_Tower,_Leeds

its gone rusty, water has run down its sides carrying rust particles, dripped down drawing a rust outline on the stone pavements that surround it...

Ah, then it is Cor-Ten.

http://www.skyscrapernews.com/buildings.php?id=2198

http://www.bdonline.co.uk/news/feilden-clegg-bradley’s-leeds-complex-completed/3152952.article

It's meant to rust. The oxidation actually provides a protective layer to the rest of the steel.

The same material was used for Anthony Gormley's Angel of the North sculpture.

Monday will be fine, but after that should we close the thread and maybe set up a poll for your favorite image?

I have a feeling this may get dragged out... :D

Thanks Liam :) Maybe going forward you give a cut off point for taking the photos and get a poll thread up a 4 days/a week later or something, to give time for processing?

So - Are we okay for closing this one now ? Seeing as Guy has managed to get his shot entered?

And what's the process on-going - I'd suggest a poll, let it run for a few days, and the winner gets choosing rights for the next challenge (and has to set up the Entries and Discussion threads - no gain, without a little pain :LOL:)

So - Are we okay for closing this one now ? Seeing as Guy has managed to get his shot entered?

And what's the process on-going - I'd suggest a poll, let it run for a few days, and the winner gets choosing rights for the next challenge (and has to set up the Entries and Discussion threads - no gain, without a little pain :LOL:)

How about Liam chooses the next theme right away so we can get the next one going and the winner chooses the theme for the one after that. That way we can have one theme always open whilst voting etc is going on and we don't have a several week wait everytime?

Last edited:
Sounds like e decent plan there Guy - if Liam's up to pos(t)ing the next subject that is. Makes a lot of sense to have the feedback/voting happening alongside the current challenge.

Just seen this thread... some excellent shots in the thread and I am looking forward to the next challenge!!

ped

So am I - Come on Liam, get your finger out son, I've half a fridgeful of film waiting for inspiration :)

Ahhh I hate picking the challenge!! Any ideas?? How about "portrait"?

I am going to try and find a mod who will turn the challenge into a poll...

Ahhh I hate picking the challenge!! Any ideas?? How about "portrait"?

I am going to try and find a mod who will turn the challenge into a poll...

erm well I think having a competition with everyone given a short future time limit is silly...buildings don't change much (in peace time) so who cares if the shot was 5 years old.

Don't bloody enter, then it won't bother you :D

Photos of space or images that have space...

erm well I think having a competition with everyone given a short future time limit is silly...buildings don't change much (in peace time) so who cares if the shot was 5 years old.

Maybe but the reason of having a challenge is so that you get out there and shoot some film and not spend all afternoon trying to find and scan that slide you took 5 years ago. Just my opinion :D

Images that have space, I meant. Not sure why I suggested that, other than the fact most of my film images are of that sort as I normally use relatively wide lenses.

Other ideas for themes:

-scary
-night
-portraits
-urban
-country
-machines
-personal objects
-err... cats?

Just the one we were allowed is all... you?

mod found! ;)

FWIW - imo the idea of a 'challenge' surely is to get you out photographing NOW, not just show off something you did 5 years ago? :shrug:

Well for some one with plenty of time and the weather is reasonable (or even miserable) there is no problem with the guys with the "eye", but most of us just can't take a cracking shot on demand and it happens over time, so the comp over a few weeks will have a lower standard.

Just the one we were allowed is all... you?

I'd just came back from Ibiza with 5 rolls of film and if I had anything decent would have missed the start time anyway.....and I didn't fancy rushing around like a blue **** fly taken shots of building in a few weeks, when I'd rather sort thru my holiday shots and rest on my laurels.

Whilst I agree inasmuch as you are saying things remain static to a certain extent I also have to say that your opinion only works for *some* subjects... not to mention that just because it's raining doesn't mean you cannot take a pic. OK yes, you cannot hold the shutter down for 20 seconds and pray one of them's a good'un but surely a few weeks is more than enough time to polish off a film and get a pic?

Anyway, I got back from Turkey with several rolls... yes I dipped them myself but that's part of the process, no?

Last edited:
Whilst I agree inasmuch as you are saying things remain static to a certain extent I also have to say that your opinion only works for *some* subjects... not to mention that just because it's raining doesn't mean you cannot take a pic. OK yes, you cannot hold the shutter down for 20 seconds and pray one of them's a good'un but surely a few weeks is more than enough time to polish off a film and get a pic?

Well for me to get a decent shot on film means being at the right place at the right time and a bit of luck for any subject, and I can't guarantee it works for set times in the future esp for a comp. ;)

Back