Film Choice - graveyard and gothic

Name
Jim
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm wanting to visit an old local graveyard for some shots and am wondering what the best b&w white film might he? I know what I'm wanting style wise but don't know which film. I'm after an old style photo journalism look, some grain and contrast. The only b&w film ive got is HP5 and a roll of Tri-x which is currently in the post. Im guessing thd Tri-x would be better than the HP5?

I'm wanting to visit an old local graveyard for some shots and am wondering what the best b&w white film might he? I know what I'm wanting style wise but don't know which film. I'm after an old style photo journalism look, some grain and contrast. The only b&w film ive got is HP5 and a roll of Tri-x which is currently in the post. Im guessing thd Tri-x would be better than the HP5?

Tri-X and HP5+ are both pretty similar, but you tend to get more contrast from Tri-X whereas HP5+ gives better shadow detail. I like both films and either will be suitable, but my own choice would be HP5+ - it’s much easier to add contrast in post processing than it is to recover shadows.

I'm wondering if shooting SFX infra red film might work well?

I'm wondering if shooting SFX infra red film might work well?

Forgive my ignorence but does it require any special processing (as opposed to normal b&w)?

Just had a look at some pics on youtube and it looks pretty good.

My vote is for HP5+ pushed to 800. Green filter if you've got one and there's foliage at the location & not much sky. I never got on with Tri-X. Oddly I found it quite lacking in contrast.

Pushing something would probably suit me anyway, as I'm waiting for a moody/cloudy/overcast day.

Last edited:
FP4 pushed as far as you dare!

Do you have a graveyard in mind? There's an interesting old graveyard at Bents Green in Sheffield (Eccy Rd/ Ringinglow Rd area). I keep meaning to explore the one on Cemetery Rd as it looks promising from the outside but haven't had the chance yet.

Either Tri-X or HP5 will look great. I shot some 120 Tri-X in the woods at Grindleford and absolutely loved the results. Try both and see what you think! The developer used/ film lab responsible for processing can make a big difference to how the results look so it's not always a straightforward choice.

I'm not sure I'll have much choice as I'm not developing it myself. It'll more than likely be going to FilmDev.

Filmdev use XTOL which seems reasonably contrasty to me, not huge grain. They'll push a couple of stops no extra charge AFAIK (but check first!).

Filmdev use XTOL which seems reasonably contrasty to me, not huge grain. They'll push a couple of stops no extra charge AFAIK (but check first!).

Ah thanks. I'll get in touch and see what they say.

Do you have a graveyard in mind? There's an interesting old graveyard at Bents Green in Sheffield (Eccy Rd/ Ringinglow Rd area). I keep meaning to explore the one on Cemetery Rd as it looks promising from the outside but haven't had the chance yet.

Either Tri-X or HP5 will look great. I shot some 120 Tri-X in the woods at Grindleford and absolutely loved the results. Try both and see what you think! The developer used/ film lab responsible for processing can make a big difference to how the results look so it's not always a straightforward choice.

The one on Cemetery Road (off Eccy Road) is Sheffield General Cemetery? If you haven't been it's definitely worth the trip. I'll look up the Bents Green one, not heard of it.

I've got a few in mind, possibly the Catholic one on Loxley Road.

Forgive my ignorence but does it require any special processing (as opposed to normal b&w)?

Just had a look at some pics on youtube and it looks pretty good.

I've not done it myself yet - I've got a roll in the fridge. You need to shoot through a red filter; I believe it can be processed in fairly standard chemistry but I haven't looked it up.

Tri-X would be my choice for a gritty, vintage look and hang the shadow detail. IR film would certainly be interesting.

Back