Film Developing in the UK

Can't see a thing, but for your first roll of colour film we advise to get it dev and scanned to a CD for £3-4 at a Asda super store but you have to be lucky if the one near you still does it

Apologies for the repeated posts.

Images below:

Portra 400
album-72157669927901950

album-72157669927901950

album-72157669927901950

Tri-X
album-72157669927901950

album-72157669927901950

Are you trying to show Flickr photos? You need to paste the BBCode, which is available using the share button under each picture after you individually click on them.

Can't see a thing, but for your first roll of colour film we advise to get it dev and scanned to a CD for £3-4 at a Asda super store but you have to be lucky if the one near you still does it

Brian, I think you advise it, not we. It wouldn't necessarily be my first recommendation, although the price is good for a quick test.

Last edited:
Labs, however, only make global adjustments to images, so there's no way to balance the exposure between bright and dark unless you do it at the time of exposure with an ND grad, I've found (Edit: if scanned to jpeg anyway).

That makes sense. I've never had a commercial scan apart from a couple of Kodak PhotoCDs many years ago.

Are you trying to show Flickr photos? You need to paste the BBCode, which is available using the share button under each picture after you individually click on them.

Ah thank you!

CNV00025 by Joe Hung, on Flickr

CNV00034 by Joe Hung, on Flickr

CNV00021 by Joe Hung, on Flickr

CNV00012 by Joe Hung, on Flickr

Tri-X

CNV00053 by Joe Hung, on Flickr

CNV00055 by Joe Hung, on Flickr

CNV00060 by Joe Hung, on Flickr

Flickr album: https://www.flickr.com/photos/64501117@N08/albums/72157669927901950/with/27654995223/

I'm very surprised. Probably I shouldn't be if I were more experienced with colour negative film but I genuinely believed that ND grads were only needed with colour transparency and digital (sorry about swearing in these hallowed portals :D). What was the film?

I doubt that the highlights are anywhere near actually blown, it's just that the highlights are much brighter in relative terms than other parts of the image (i.e., large subject brightness range), which may be much darker (again, in relative terms), so it's difficult to display all of that information. If you were scanning this yourself, you could make a local adjustment (as the detail should still be in the negative) on either the darker or lighter parts of the image with a virtual ND grad, for instance.

Labs, however, only make global adjustments to images, so there's no way to balance the exposure between bright and dark unless you do it at the time of exposure with an ND grad, I've found (Edit: if scanned to jpeg anyway).

Yeah sorry I think I worded it badly, lol. I mean that the highlights are definitely still there, but the scan doesn't show them :)

There isn't anything interesting in the sky that I'm trying to show, but I'm not a fan of overexposed skies for landscapes really. This is the low quality jpeg that I got as a download today, with just the highlights and whites dropped a smidgen. Maybe I'll have more luck with the proper files tomorrow. Failing that I can either start using ND grads or maybe add a note to my order form asking for them to make some local adjustments if they are willing to.

F129S04.jpg

Ah thank you!

CNV00025 by Joe Hung, on Flickr

CNV00034 by Joe Hung, on Flickr

CNV00021 by Joe Hung, on Flickr

CNV00012 by Joe Hung, on Flickr

Tri-X

CNV00053 by Joe Hung, on Flickr

CNV00055 by Joe Hung, on Flickr

CNV00060 by Joe Hung, on Flickr

Flickr album: https://www.flickr.com/photos/64501117@N08/albums/72157669927901950/with/27654995223/

Welcome to the forum :)

I think the Portra ones look pretty good to me, but I've never been as good at spotting colour casts as some others. If I got these back from the lab I don't think I'd have anything bad to say.

Really love the Portra shot of the door, and the last Tri-X one has some great texture in the brickwork, great stuff.

I think the Portra ones look pretty good to me, but I've never been as good at spotting colour casts as some others. If I got these back from the lab I don't think I'd have anything bad to say.

Really love the Portra shot of the door, and the last Tri-X one has some great texture in the brickwork, great stuff.

Slight pink cast on all of the colour ones.......just nit picking

Yeah sorry I think I worded it badly, lol. I mean that the highlights are definitely still there, but the scan doesn't show them :)

There isn't anything interesting in the sky that I'm trying to show, but I'm not a fan of overexposed skies for landscapes really. This is the low quality jpeg that I got as a download today, with just the highlights and whites dropped a smidgen. Maybe I'll have more luck with the proper files tomorrow. Failing that I can either start using ND grads or maybe add a note to my order form asking for them to make some local adjustments if they are willing to.

View attachment 69003

Just increase the highlights in Photoshop by about 33% and it looks much better

Or grey ... no such think as 'pink'. :D

;) one day it would be interesting in showing what you can see...maybe you could look at a colour photo and get Mrs Andysnap to omit\reduce\convert to grey some colours in Photoshop (don't ask me how you do it) then show the pics side by side i.e. before and after.

Last edited:
I don't think it works like that Brian. I cannot even begin to tell you what I see as I don't know what you see so a comparison would be pointless.

I joke about the grey bit as it isn't that I can't see colours, I can, but that I can't distinguish them from some other similar colours. A big block of bright red is a big block of bright red but give me one of those inkblot colour cards with the numbers in them and I'm stuffed, I can only see about half of the hidden numbers.

Last edited:
joking aside a friend is colour blind, but his awareness of how shades work together is amazing. if i want to choose paint colours he is really good at seeing what shades work together-he just cant tell you what the colours are. great if you take him with to look at them!

joking aside a friend is colour blind, but his awareness of how shades work together is amazing. if i want to choose paint colours he is really good at seeing what shades work together-he just cant tell you what the colours are. great if you take him with to look at them!

Yep, same here. I can see what works together but I can't tell you why.

I don't think it works like that Brian. I cannot even begin to tell you what I see as I don't know what you see so a comparison would be pointless.

I joke about the grey bit as it isn't that I can't see colours, I can, but that I can't distinguish them from some other similar colours. A big block of bright red is a big block of bright red but give me one of those inkblot colour cards with the numbers in them and I'm stuffed, I can only see about half of the hidden numbers.
I can see the first one then the rest of them are just blobs.

Thanks! I do feel the 1st and 3rd pic are slightly magenta, the 2nd one in the park with the green leaves looks a little green. However the door pic looks pretty good.

Not sure if you guys may have come across this, my main reason for wanting to get into film was actually from seeing some shots of Portra from other photographers such as Matt Day:

View: https://www.instagram.com/p/BHaWtvmBmUR/?taken-by=mattdayphoto&hl=en

View: https://www.instagram.com/p/BHSjE_3BBz_/?taken-by=mattdayphoto&hl=en

Perhaps I need to shoot through more rolls and try different subjects.

Asda are still going and the girl doesn't know what's happening......done my film in 30 mins this morning

My ASDA's photo department had been measured up for whatever it is that they're going to do to it.

Well after a year have manage to get thru' 3 rolls of 120 and looking for best prices..many years ago used Snaps Bournemouth and was happy with the dev and looking at their price now they are cheap for dev of 120 at £2.50,,erm but I live 80 miles away so with postage there and back is going to cost a total of £13....Oh well snappysnap tomorrow and the last prices charged were £3.50/roll done in 1 hour.

Hi all,

We are making a number of investments here at Ag at the moment, including adding another Noritsu 37HD series printer on 4 August - this will sit along side the 3704HD we already have. To go with this, we are having another new Noritsu S-1800 scanner, which is being made for us in Japan at the moment and will be delivered in around 8 weeks time. The effect of this will be to increase our capacity and also enable us to offer some more service options.

This is in addition to the Hasselblad Flextight X5 we bought in October and the refurb and commissioning of the 50" Lightjet printer last year. Number of other things going on too such as continued "future proofing" with a stock pile of parts and spares for our equipment which we continue to add to.

All possible because of the continued customer support - Thank you!

Went to asda yesterday to put film in (had gone friday but they've changed the times so its closed on week day before i get there after work) - the lady said its only her in that dept now as a girl just handed in her notice and they are not going to train any more staff and i think she is retiring. She said Photo Me have bought the photo service but no idea when it will change to Photo Me and they will bring in all their own staff and stuff (she didnt know if they would do film). She said it's been rumbling since January but no word on final plans. She couldnt guaruntee it would be open tomorrow so not going to pick up until next weekend as although I could have just got it done in an hour before she went home I wasnt in position to stay as I dont shop there/need any thing there.

not sure what to do if they stop doing film there - as what i procdue is not worth Uk Film lab etc prices really. not unless i am surprised by this latest batch....

Just put a roll of 36 in the camera and will take me ages to get through it, so won't be getting to my Asda's soon to find out what is going on..

Well got thru' 24 film and Asda did my film today and the girl said "a decision is imminent on what's going to happen"

Since the departure of UK Film Lab, a few folk are trialling Carmencita... even though it's not in the UK, is it worth adding them to the front post, @TheBigYin ?

Getting 120 film dev is a PITA after Asda £3 in 35mins.....went to Snappysnaps and 2 years ago charged £3 now £4.50.......h'mm has wages and inflation gone up that much, unless I can find somewhere cheap and they do it the same day, I'll have to join the..... up to "wait a week" club :(

Getting 120 film dev is a PITA after Asda £3 in 35mins.....went to Snappysnaps and 2 years ago charged £3 now £4.50.......h'mm has wages and inflation gone up that much, unless I can find somewhere cheap and they do it the same day, I'll have to join the..... up to "wait a week" club :(
Not as cheap but I regularly get a 3 day service from both Peak and The Darkroom UK, posted Monday and back through my letterbox on Wednesday.

For dev only, almost all C41 is turned around on day of arrival at Ag. £2.99 / film. Freepost (first class) into us. £2.88 return which covers up to 3 films before shifting to the next return delivery band. Free padded bag back with every order.

http://www.ag-photolab.co.uk/c41-pr....asp?uid=6750f31a-e31c-4e10-adfc-0d7e09a35093

I know it's not 35 minutes though! - Unless you are anywhere near Birmingham - customers can come in to the counter and C41 is 8 minutes dry to dry. We can normally slip it in. C41 runs every day all day, although it's best to turn up before 4pm if you want an immediate turnaround.

Matt

Not as cheap but I regularly get a 3 day service from both Peak and The Darkroom UK, posted Monday and back through my letterbox on Wednesday.

Well Nick most of my shots are losers and could be thrown away so it would have to be the cheapest dev so I reckon three films in a jiffy bag is smaller than Royal mail's max width of 2.5cm for large letter and 2nd class would be 75p, and Snaps Bournemouth would work out with return postage at £11, next best deal it would seem to be AG Photolab all in at £11.85. Anyway I'll see at the post office tomorrow for postage and any silly prices will use AG Photolab

Last edited:
If you go in the Post Office you'll be lucky to send film canisters large letter and small parcel is nearer £3. If you want to send the jiffy bag, put a large letter stamp on it and drop in the post box. Most go through; if not, they wit until the next Friday and charge the receiver £3 (if they're willing to pay and re-charge you), so it ends up costing not much more than the small parcel rate anyway.

If you go in the Post Office you'll be lucky to send film canisters large letter and small parcel is nearer £3. If you want to send the jiffy bag, put a large letter stamp on it and drop in the post box. Most go through; if not, they wit until the next Friday and charge the receiver £3 (if they're willing to pay and re-charge you), so it ends up costing not much more than the small parcel rate anyway.

For 120 film in a jiffy bag it just squeeses (with a wiggle) throught the test slot at the post office (much easier if you grease it first o_O ) so 1st class is just under £1 and 2nd class is 75p

For 120 film in a jiffy bag it just squeeses (with a wiggle) throught the test slot at the post office (much easier if you grease it first o_O ) so 1st class is just under £1 and 2nd class is 75p
Some PO's refuse to wiggle, I know Ive asked them ;)

Back