Film Developing in the UK

Would guess its simply non economical. Aside from us, does any joe public still shoot film? Can't blame them. Still loads of alternatives.

oh yeah just saying, as i was planning on going there that day

If you're in Shoreditch, London - home of hipsters - try Hammer Labs. Mike, who runs it, is really friendly, and for only £4 for a colour dev (35mm or 120), you can't go wrong. He's in the business park under the bridge, near Shoreditch Church.

just found out that sainsburys in sydenham (the saver centre) no longer process film :|

This will be because they are getting rid of ALL the photoshops in their stores, so gone completely no film no digital. My local Sainsburys closed theirs yesterday and they were top selling photoshop on the company.

Last edited:
If you're in Shoreditch, London - home of hipsters - try Hammer Labs. Mike, who runs it, is really friendly, and for only £4 for a colour dev (35mm or 120), you can't go wrong. He's in the business park under the bridge, near Shoreditch Church.

Good to know Charlotte, what's their turn round time like?

Went to boots to get a test film processed.. don't give the option of just the CD anymore so had to get prints and CD. £8 :bonk:

Ouch! Given the quality of them last time I used them that's very expensive! There is a little shop on Clerk Street that i use for 120 colour, he's not bad; if a little grumpy at times.

Trumps? I used to get some prints from there when I was still at college, he's a big grump! But good, fast service. Don't know how much the guy at the wee shop in Morningside charges anymore... I've bought a couple of cameras from there "in good working order" that don't work at all.

Yeah Trumps, glad its not just me then. Though he did compliment my bike once, so I generally let people off who compliment my bike...
Cameratiks (?) I think he's pretty dear for anything though I've only ever browsed in there, don't even like to handle stuff.

Yeah that's the one! Some nice cameras in there but very very expensive. Wanted 60 quid for a zenit em body. Can get a bag for as little as 50p if you're lucky, though.

Depends if the shop has a machine. My local Asda is the only one with a mini lab so its the only place that can offer a one hour service.

Just had a few Kodak Ektar films done this week at my local Asda, their "high res" scans are 1840 x 1232 .. 560Kb...... not impressed!
Just joined this forum so :wave: :bang:Hello!

Yeah Graham, put a roll in with Asda the other day there... only £3 for processed and on CD but got the same size "high res"

Steven, how much is processing at Trumps?

120 negative was about £4 and slide about £5. I think 35mm is a little dearer though. I'm sure he's got a price list on his web site.

Just had a few Kodak Ektar films done this week at my local Asda, their "high res" scans are 1840 x 1232 .. 560Kb...... not impressed!
Yeah, I've been temped to write to Asda and ask for their definition of High but I expect its in the same dictionary they get the definition of quality they apply to many of their goods.

Last edited:
120 negative was about £4 and slide about £5. I think 35mm is a little dearer though. I'm sure he's got a price list on his web site.

Had a look and it looks like the price list is from 2006? Unless it's not changed since then :LOL:

Is that process & CD or just process & prints?

I don't think they're much different.

That's just development, I don't know what he charges for a scan, I suspect you'll get to online prices once you add that and a smile to the price.

Hmm.. I'm hoping to save for a scanner and dev kit so I'll only need to pay someone else to process colour and I can process black and white and scan both myself.. until then, just shopping around for the best. I'll need to have a read through the whole thread and see what's what.

Well Asda uses a Fuji Frontier machine maybe the operators are not used to the new Ektar...but I have my own proof in using Fuji films like Reala and Superia that you can get a good A4 print on any capable modern inkjet printer at 1840 X 1232 when the Asda scan is adjusted in Photoshop. And have posted many good Asda shots in the last few years from Agfa Vista, Kodak, Jessops etc and I would say they would also give you a good A4 print, as I haven't printed them on my latest Epson 2100 printer.
If you are not going to crop or go above A4 the Asda scan is good esp for a computer screen, so rarely use my Epson V750 scanner for 35mm.

This Asda dev and scanned shot gave a good A4 print in showing some "pop" testing out my new (old) printer.

So, looking for recommendations for 120 processing, c41 and b&w?

I was using club35 but the last formapan roll I sent them disappeared untill I chased it, the scans are horrendously off centre, (ok I can deal with cropping them myself but it is annoying), and the last frame has been scanned complete with a batch sticker which has been left on the neg, ok it's a filler shot of my family eating but it's still 1/12th of the job and b&w dev and scan isn't cheap these days.

Bloody hell club35 by Tequila-Mockingbird, on Flickr

You really can't go wrong with Peak or The Darkroom. I've only used them for processing not scanning but I'm sure someone will be along soon with their experiences.

So, looking for recommendations for 120 processing, c41 and b&w?

I was using club35 but the last formapan roll I sent them disappeared untill I chased it, the scans are horrendously off centre, (ok I can deal with cropping them myself but it is annoying), and the last frame has been scanned complete with a batch sticker which has been left on the neg, ok it's a filler shot of my family eating but it's still 1/12th of the job and b&w dev and scan isn't cheap these days.

Bloody hell club35 by Tequila-Mockingbird, on Flickr

If that was number 12 and inside the roll and you did not waste up front, then that is unacceptable and you should make the lab aware, all good labs understand that mistakes are made and are quite happy to do the job again.

Looking at that frame, I think the contrast is just good,but,you have not stated the film ISO, so not sure, as, each is different as you know.

You have only posted that one shot,so, it is unfair to gain comments on the lab without more examples, however that is up to you.

Just as an a quick aside are you Greg Wallace. :)

Snip ()

Just as an a quick aside are you Greg Wallace. :)

Thanks, I'll drop club35 a mail with a link to that image. The film was formapan 100 which I was very impressed with. Only problem is I picked up half a dozen rolls of panf on the cheap, it'll be a while before I get back to formapan.

Ah, the baldy is my step father. You may have hit on something there, he is a great cook, maybe he has a hidden role model.

Roll of Kodak BW400CN from Trumps in Edinburgh yesterday, and after scanning them I'm an unhappy bunny. Various light scratches, and a double row of spots at top and bottom of the negatives (white in positive). When I went in, after looking for my film, the lad went across and picked it up from by the window between two people sitting waiting, still the bare roll of negatives! I'm picking up a roll of 120 HP5 later so I'll have to have a word, but it looks like it's back to posting again.

You really can't go wrong with Peak or The Darkroom. I've only used them for processing not scanning but I'm sure someone will be along soon with their experiences.

I have used ag photographic. Pleased with their quality

I had a roll of velvia back from AG photographic this week and was quite impressed with the service.

Having started to get interested in medium format, I've updated the "handy price estimator" to include 120 as well as 35mm films.

As usual, please let me know of any serious errors. Note, I make no promises that this is correct, please check yourself before making any decisions. (I'm a bit suspicious that there are two separate labs combined in the Fujifilm line.)

AG Photolab still seem winners on price in many categories; if their turnround time was up to the others they would be real winners.

I've just remembered, I mean to add the new UK Filmlab, but forgot, sorry. There may be another update before long...

I received a E6 order back from The Darkroom UK Ltd last week. I was very impressed with the fast turnaround and quality of developing was fine. Just noticed a few drying marks and residue on a few frames after having a closer look, the sleeves and return packaging could be better. Overall a decent processor and the fastest service I've used so far.

I

Last edited:
Going by the age of the stuff usually available, ood in 2012 positively fresh..

Its a good deal for locals like.....ME..:)

Got my order returned from ag photo labs, posted Wednesday evening and dropped through the door today. They even returned the 35mm cartridges for my disposables.

Got my order returned from ag photo labs, posted Wednesday evening and dropped through the door today. They even returned the 35mm cartridges for my disposables.

Wow. I never get mine back in under a week. What's your secret?!

C41 development only. Need to scan them myself. Dunno if scanning takes extra time?

Back