Film Grain or Scanner Noise or Camera shake!?

Edit My Images
Yes
Morning all,

Just wanted some ideas what I'm looking at here - a rubbish shot but the tight crop shows a lot of something and I wondered what it is. Not sure what happened to the sky colour but that's another issue!

Shot on Kodak 35mm 400ISO, 135mm F2.8 SF lens at 2.8 IIRC (no soft focus enabled).

Neg scanned on Canon 4400F at 4800dpi (will probably resample 2x2 (2400dpi) later).

Full Frame:
House.jpg

Full-res crop:
House_Zoom.jpg

Thanks!

hmmm, I think there is a little softness there but it's really just a tiny bit off on the focus. Most of the issue is the amount of enlargement you have there. It's too early for me to work out how big the whole frame would be at that size but it looks big to me. It's too far for that frame to go. It was bang on in terms of focus you'd get a bit more but it's still a lot to ask at that size and to be pixel peeping. Put it the other side of a room, as you might see a print and will be far better.

Also, your colour banding is not just the sky but goes across the roof too. Anomalous scan data I suspect, possibly from a bit of light getting in. :):)

Thanks Daz - I wasn't wanting to actually use this size (or this shot!), just interested in what it was.

Interesting info on the lines, thank-you :) Re size - about 22" tall at 300dpi.

I wasn't wanting to actually use this size (or this shot!), just interested in what it was.
Kinda figured. :D

a 12x16 print is about as far as I'd expect to be able to push a 35mm 400ISO neg and still have it look pin sharp at point blank range.

Get a really good neg and with some sensitive sharpening you'd certainly get a good looking print, as very few prints are made to look good at the end of your nose.

Back