Film Labels

Name
Ian
Edit My Images
No
Not sure if this is of use to anyone...

With the RB67 there's a holder in the back to slot the film label (3cm x 3cm) so you can remember what's loaded. My film comes in boxes of 5 without the end label, and it doesn't help when I decide to push a film either.

So I made this in Photoshop.
t5OnQpI.jpg

It's A4 and Imjur has destroyed the quality of it but you can get the gist. Cut round the outer box to make it 3cm high, then divide up carefully. Or if you print on thin paper, you can do a bit of origami to fold it. I've printed to heavyweight (300gsm) paper and cut.

Full size jpeg here (Dropbox) : Link
If anyone wants to suggest what could go in the last box I'll add and re-up
PSD File here (Dropbox) but I suspect the font won't be recognised because it's an "old typewriter" font I downloaded aeons ago. Still - you can figure it out : Link

HbgAWCw.jpg

That's it! (Original idea ©Nick Carver on YouTube)

Not sure if this is of use to anyone...

With the RB67 there's a holder in the back to slot the film label (3cm x 3cm) so you can remember what's loaded. My film comes in boxes of 5 without the end label, and it doesn't help when I decide to push a film either.

So I made this in Photoshop.
t5OnQpI.jpg

It's A4 and Imjur has destroyed the quality of it but you can get the gist. Cut round the outer box to make it 3cm high, then divide up carefully. Or if you print on thin paper, you can do a bit of origami to fold it. I've printed to heavyweight (300gsm) paper and cut.

Full size jpeg here (Dropbox) : Link
If anyone wants to suggest what could go in the last box I'll add and re-up
PSD File here (Dropbox) but I suspect the font won't be recognised because it's an "old typewriter" font I downloaded aeons ago. Still - you can figure it out : Link

HbgAWCw.jpg

That's it! (Original idea ©Nick Carver on YouTube)

The simple solution for me is to just shoot more - then a roll of film only lasts a few hours - that way simpletons like me can just about remember what film I loaded a few hours ago! .........................only joking :)

Thanks for this; great idea :)

My memory is shocking these days. I have no clue what is in the Rollei. I'm hoping it's ISO 400....

I've also learned not to load a new film until I need to. Went out on Saturday to test out some filters and wanted 2 different B&W films. Problem is I'd already put colour in one of the backs. Hey ho.

My film comes in boxes of 5 without the end label, and it doesn't help when I decide to push a film either.

I'm confused. By boxes of five, do you mean the normal five-roll boxes of 120 film?

Almost all of these boxes come with tabs that can be ripped off to use in the slot as far as I'm aware, as I used to use them with my Bronica. I just looked in my fridge and every box (e.g., 160NS, 400H, Portra 800, etc.) has these tabs with the one exception of Kodak Ektar 100 (I used another part of the box to account for this in the slot).

Or maybe I'm misunderstanding what you mean by this box of five?

At any rate, I now use an app to keep track of my exposures and the films in each camera.

IMG_1299.JPG

Last edited:
By boxes of five, do you mean the normal five-roll boxes of 120 film?

Yep. And I did not know that - so thanks for the heads up! Every day's a schoolday. However my box of Portra160 simply has a label that literally says "160.120"

Yep. And I did not know that - so thanks for the heads up! Every day's a schoolday.

Yep, no worries.

However my box of Portra160 simply has a label that literally says "160.120"

I think there is only one other 160 ISO film in production in 120 format and it's in a green box (i.e., Fujifilm Pro 160NS), so I don't think there's a high likelihood of confusion with another film. Even if you did confuse these two 160 speed films, they're both colour negative emulsions optimised for portraits so you would meter for them in a nearly identical way.

Last edited:
I did something similar a few years ago only mine were in colour and laminated, I really had way too much time on my hands at work :)

For 35mm I use the box lid and cut it down to fit the holder on the film door of my A1... my EOS film cameras all have the little window in the film door so I can see the film details through it (if I put my reading glasses on - yes, I'm getting to that stage in life!). For 120, I keep the paper band off the roll and use that as a reminder of what film I'm using... there's one on each roll of film and it's only going to go in the recycle bin if I don't use it, and it saves on printer ink and paper. (y)

Back