film laboratories

tjs

Edit My Images
Yes
this is a bit of weird request, but, could anybody point me in the right direction of a general overview of how a photo lab processes film on masse etc. for my btec i have to have 'show an in depth knowledge and understanding of film labs services' so i guess this means knowing what machines they use, how they use them, and so on.

ive tried looking at the sites i use for processing, but they seem to have next to no information about what they use and how they use it. i thought the kind folk who frequent these boards may know more, or know of a link that explains more?

id be extremely grateful.

what about finding a local lab, telling them the score and asking to go for a walk about there. A visit and talk with someone knowledgeable would be brilliantly useful

^^^WHS^^^

Where are you based? There's bound to be a proper lab somewhere close.

Have a look in "Langford"s "Basic Photography" an "Advanced Photography" both of which are (or were) required reading for any course...

where about are you, theres a lab in nottingham if your near there? everyone knows him as photo mick... he's awesome will give you a tour and show you the ins and outs, even a little work experience!
i know he processes by hand much as you would do in college, i know this because i asked him the other day and was pretty gob smacked i expected him to say a machine does it!!! :)

Have a look in "Langford"s "Basic Photography" an "Advanced Photography" both of which are (or were) required reading for any course...

thanks for this, i hadn't thought of checking basic photography :bang:

should give me something to go on!

im based around blackburn, so nottinghams along way away! ill try and see if we have one around these parts who'd be willing..

http://business.fujifilm.co.uk/phot...hing-products/digital-minilabs/frontier-dl400

Jessops use Fuji frontier machines in their mini-labs for printing. It's C-Type printing. If you have to document knowledge then maybe put a brief interview with the guys at the email link Michelle posted into your folder with a lab processing person...always gets good marks!

http://business.fujifilm.co.uk/photofinishing/photo-finishing-products/film-processors

As for film, again it's a Fuji machine that takes two rolls at a time on a card leader. It's mechanically run through the dev stop fix and dry process and takes approx 10 minutes to develop one film. This is C41 processing for both 35mm and 120mm. I know that Uni used a desk top colour processor but I couldn't tell you about the black and white side of life in a photo lab. Enjoy!

@refine, thanks. ill check the link out

@joodles, brilliant, just the thing i was looking for. i think those, along with researching dip/dunk machines etc should suffice

thanks alot guys!

I can, I used to work for a photo finisher
In the 70’s Agfa produced ‘roller processors’ it heralded the introduction of fast mass produced film processing.

In order to facilitate this, when films arrived from shops, in large bags the first job was to stick a numbered label on the envelope it arrived in so the finished prints and negatives could be matched up and sent back to the shop.

Second job was to crack open the film can (35mm) and splice all the film received together so they appeared like a cine reel say 50 meters ,each film had a number on it that corresponded to the envelope, so they could be matched up at the end his was done in the dark

Each reel consisted of individual film type in preference of speed( asa ) and manufacturer, once the films had been spliced together, they were then fed in to a roller processor which looked like along box full of metal rolling pins for want of a better description.

The rollers pulled the film in to the machine and through different baths of chemical before running through a cleaning tank, finally warm air was blown on to the film to dry it.

The reels of film were then fed in to a printing machine here filtered (colour balance) light was projected through the negative on to photographic paper which itself was on a long roll.

At the end of the process the film would be cut in to strips matched with the number on the envelope, the prints would then be cut from the roll in to individual pieces placed in the envelope, all the finished work would be put in to the a bag which had the sending shops name on it and sent for despatch.

Transparency film was process in much the same way ,the main difference being that at the end of the process the film was sent for mounting or if the customers preference was un-mounted it would be put in a long sleeve an gently rolled up.

Dunk and Dip

In the 80’s ‘Dunk and Dip’ Systems were introduced mainly because roller processing tended to scratch the film emulsion.

In this system each film was individually removed from the canister, labelled as described above but instead of splicing the films together in to a reel ,each film had a metal clip with a hook placed on one end and a weighted clip placed on the other. The film was then hung on a rack with so the weighted end pulled the film straight.

When fully loaded the rack would move downwards and ‘Dunk ‘ the film in to the chemical baths , up and down they would go from one process to another before going through a blow dryer . the processed film would then be take off the rack and sent for printing .

One of the advantages of ‘ dunk and dip’ was the speed film could be process , a lot faster that the roller method and no scratches.

Back