Film leader section

ped

Edit My Images
Yes
Can anyone tell me why 35mm film has that thin first section with a single line of holes. It doesn't make any sense to me, when loading it into a camera it feels like the single hole might snap away and surely snipping it off and feeding two in would be a lot stronger?

Cheers
ped

It's because the leader is cut automatically to fit into the majority of 35mm cameras which have a loading slot in the take up spool. I once read that sprocket holes, which derived from the film's movie origins, haven't been required for many years as the technology has been around to frame without them, but there was no financial incentive to change. The film area would be substantially bigger without them of course.

Seems strange that they would design it like that in the first place, I don't see why they would go out of their way to make the slot in the spool shorter!

Just loaded a Leica M for the first time, what a joy! Simple as can be.

ped

I bought an early 70s Canon FTb some time ago and had never come across the 'automatic' loading systems of these cameras. Being suspicious of magic film grabbing systems, especially ones on old cameras, I approached it with a certain cynicism but it works perfectly every time. A spring loaded plate in the back ensures the leader advances so long as it reaches a certain point on the rails, much like cameras of twenty years later.

I don't know why it was abandoned on A-series canons as it's easier than fiddling with a loading slot.

Loading film into my Paxette is very tricky and would be made MUCH easier if the spool had a thick slot with two pins to grab a thick section of film. For such a well designed bit of kit it seems strange that someone didn't think of this - but perhaps it's a chicken/egg situation of what came first!

The best way to load SLRs is the back to front method. Engage leader fully into take up slot first - especially important with rough carriage mechanisms like old Zeniths and Prakicas - then pull out sufficient film to place cassette in left hand chamber.
Advance winder sufficiently to ensure the film is flat, close back, wind on again, re-wind left handle to take up tension (but not over-tighten) and wind on second frame checking the rewind knob is turning, before advancing to 1st frame.
You can get more frames from a film if you load in the dark but negative bags generally fit 36 exposures and you're left wondering what to do with the extra strip.

I bought an early 70s Canon FTb some time ago and had never come across the 'automatic' loading systems of these cameras

My Canon QL19 has, I believe, the same loading system (missed out on an FTb by £1 the other week - Grr...).

I don't know why it was abandoned on A-series canons as it's easier than fiddling with a loading slot.

One of life's mysteries. I suspect it was more expensive to build and didn't make enough difference in sales.

***My Canon QL19 has, I believe, the same loading system (missed out on an FTb by £1 the other week - Grr...).***

erm doesn't "QL" stand for "quick loading" same as the FTB

Back