film lifespan?

Name
Edit My Images
No
Ok i just found 3 boxes on LF film at the back of a cupboard. Just wondering on the chances of them being usable!

Fomapan 200 dated 10/2019 - should be useable as foma always was built like a tank?
Fuji Velvia 100 dated 5/2016 - costs a fortune now so will sob a little if that's too far gone
Kodak Porta 400 dated 08/2017

Anyone think any of that is worth loading up and what sort of exposure compensation would be used?

cheers

Last edited:
I'm currently working through a few boxes of Fuji 160NS that expired in 2004. I just expose it at 100 and it's perfect.

Back in 2020 I shot a box of Portra 400NC that expired in 2001, I just shot it a stop over and everything came out fine. Less detail in the deepest shadows compared to fresh stock but I spot metered for the details I wanted to preserve anyway.

The Foma should be OK, the Portra maybe shoot it at 320 (I tend to do this even with fresh stock), the Velvia just expose at box speed and cross your fingers.

If you want to be super precise about it, load a sheet and then expose it like you would a test strip when printing by partially pulling out the darkslide.

Yes just go for it!

Back