• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

StingerNikon

nice shot!
Name
Konstantin
Edit My Images
Yes
How often do you take photos with your MF camera at f/2.8-f/4.5?

It will be great if you can post here some of your successful;) photos taken at this appertures.

Rules:

Must be taken in the four weeks or so that the challenge lasts.

The start date of the Challenge is 24 November 2010

All entries for the Challenge should be submitted by 23.59hrs on 24 December 2010

Has to be on film (Medium format only)

Each entrant can submit one entry, but this may be changed during the timespan of the challenge - by removing the old and replacing with the new

I'm ready to sponsor a prize for this challenge.
A professional pack of 120mm film (5 rolls) Colour or B/W depending on your needs.

How does this sound?

No banter on the thread, please reserve that side of things for the associated http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=276510

Last edited:
The lens on my MF camera only goes to f3.5:bang:

un2.jpg

Kodak NC160, 80mm at f/2.8

Last edited:
***Fujifilm Xtra on a Balda Baldix. Test roll shooting at f2.9.***

VG 3D effect in this shot.

The lens on my MF camera only goes to f3.5:bang:

Remember the yorkshire men sketch in monty python..... 3.5 you lucky XXXXXX. I'd love to be able to get to 3.5 etc etc. I haven't even got a MF lens..... or a MF camera......

Yet :D

5 entries? That's woeful:shake:

And yes I do appreciate the irony in my comment seeing as I didn't post a photo either:shake:

5 entries? That's woeful:shake:

And yes I do appreciate the irony in my comment seeing as I didn't post a photo either:shake:

Yes, I was expecting to see more :thinking: ))
At least taking into account number of replys in the discussion section.

Shall we start a new challenge for Medium Format users?

How does "Industrial" topic sound? I would suggest that any MF film photos taken since beginning of 2011 can be submitted. Tell me if you are interested and I'll start the challenge.

I hadn't bothered checking the discussion thread after saying I was out, due to lack of 2.8 lenses on my MF camera, so hadn't realised it had been opened up :shrug:

Not that it'd have mattered - don't think I've shot anything on the Perkeo (only proper MF camera I've got access to) at anything other than fully stopped down since I bought it - as a scale focusing camera, it's not really suitable unless you can get a tape measure out and make sure of the distance (a-la-film camera work!)

It's a shame that the film challenges don't get more entries - maybe we should try posting them in the "Competitions, Challenges, and Inspiration" section ?

It's a shame that the film challenges don't get more entries - maybe we should try posting them in the "Competitions, Challenges, and Inspiration" section ?

erm well quite a few film users can't get thru a roll of film in the time allowed ;) probably digital users using film to break their habit of machine gunning :LOL:

For me I had/have five cameras loaded with film (one medium format, and one P@S for the car), and just had two films developed and on one roll the first shots were taken two months ago :eek:

My input,
Any comp that has MF and f2.8 as it,s starting criteria is bound to fail, this is a film forum and as such all comp,s should be about film not the nuances of some elite film Regine, I feel that the criteria should be the end result and not the equipment used to achieve the result.

Nuff said.

I've just taken 2 months to finish 2 rolls of film myself... and I've a brand new digital camera thats nearly 2 months old which is still on the first charge of the battery, so probably under a 100 shots there as well. Having said that, when I've actually had a go for any of these challenges, I've pretty much just dedicated a roll of film to the challenge and treated it as a "job" - i.e. you take as many shots as is needed to get the one that's going to pay! For the Architectural one, I used my MF camera, and went through 2 rolls of film in an afternoon - hardly machine gunning - 6 setups, 1 shot, 2 bracketed ones, and one for luck each time! For the "Double" challenge, I burned a whole roll of film on one single "product setup" shot, much as I would have done BITD on a product advertising shoot. I know that film has a cost, and every frame exposed is money spent, but FFS, it was 1 roll of Fuji Reala (20 rolls for £10) and maybe £2 worth of chemicals - around the price of a pint to do a decent job of things. Even the Architectural one amounted to 2 rolls of Delta 100 and a splash of Perceptol - At worst maybe a tenner, and well worth it for an afternoons entertainment. As a good friend of mine once said to me - film stock's cheap - it's your time that's expensive.

The whole thing about a challenge for me, is that it gets me out there shooting something to a particular purpose, and dedicating a roll of film specifically to that purpose is a helpful part of the process to me.

***The whole thing about a challenge for me, is that it gets me out there shooting something to a particular purpose, and dedicating a roll of film specifically to that purpose is a helpful part of the process to me.***

Well Mark, like me, you seem to be older and like me I've seen you post "been there done it" ....well in my younger days in the camera club was running around taking shots (also with darkroom work for large prints) that I didn't like but thought other people would, for the competitions....So I've just thrown away the last prints remaining that I came across from these competitions, erm well cos I didn't win anything and looking back it was a waste of time ;)

***The whole thing about a challenge for me, is that it gets me out there shooting something to a particular purpose, and dedicating a roll of film specifically to that purpose is a helpful part of the process to me.***

Well Mark, like me, you seem to be older and like me I've seen you post "been there done it" ....well in my younger days in the camera club was running around taking shots (also with darkroom work for large prints) that I didn't like but thought other people would, for the competitions....So I've just thrown away the last prints remaining that I came across from these competitions, erm well cos I didn't win anything and looking back it was a waste of time ;)

That's pretty much why I didn't attempt some of the challenges - if it doesn't appeal to me, I'm not about to go out and shoot it. I happen to enjoy shooting architectural subjects, and really wanted to see if I could still manage to get a still-life product shot type setup together on the fly as I used to. I take forever to get a shot I like, hence not enjoying shooting people, as they invariably get bored waiting when I'm faffing around, and when shooting moving objects I get a spectacularly low hit rate, so that's one for the Digital I'm afraid... I'm happy to shoot to a brief, provided it fits with what I enjoy doing. Film Photography isn't a job to me, it's recreation - and life's too short to spend time shooting something you don't like unless you're getting paid lots of money to do so :LOL: Paying your own money out to shoot something you don't like is frankly :wacky:

My input,
Any comp that has MF and f2.8 as it,s starting criteria is bound to fail, this is a film forum and as such all comp,s should be about film not the nuances of some elite film Regine, I feel that the criteria should be the end result and not the equipment used to achieve the result.

Nuff said.

I have agree with this. By making the competition so specific you're automatically decimating the number of people who can participate, such is the nature of shooting film. Were the criteria slightly less specific people could draw from photographs they've previously taken, and maybe the number of entering would increase.

Yes, I was expecting to see more :thinking: ))
At least taking into account number of replys in the discussion section.

Shall we start a new challenge for Medium Format users?

How does "Industrial" topic sound? I would suggest that any MF film photos taken since beginning of 2011 can be submitted. Tell me if you are interested and I'll start the challenge.

While I'm all for the challenge and I like the topic, I'm not sure there's enough film users to guarantee enough entries if we're running multiple challenges at the moment.

I'd guess at any one month we have a maximum of about 20 active film shooters lately, each one of whom will have perfectly understandable reasons for not entering (domestic matters, flu, trying to get through Christmas, too cold, too dark).

So... I'm all for challenges, but I think one at a time and we need to not exclude anyone who might not have the equipment.

How about starting some open ended threads? Just inviting images with no attempt to declare a winner or have a deadline and which can just grow if it captures people's imaginations, it'll hopefully look after itself. If no one's interested it'll gradually disappear.

As it is, I've just realised that I haven't shot anything specifically for the current Monthly challenge, and there's only a week or so left for that... There's been a few nice shots lately in the "Show us yer film shots thread" that I'm hoping will be entered.

How about starting some open ended threads? Just inviting images with no attempt to declare a winner or have a deadline and which can just grow if it captures people's imaginations, it'll hopefully look after itself. If no one's interested it'll gradually disappear.

This could work quite well, because you could then add an image you have taken of a building to the "Architecture challange" or a night image to the "After dark" thread...

Congratulations to StingerNikon!!!;):p

"A professional pack of 120mm film (5 rolls)" - (I've chosen Fuji Velvia 100) comes to his hands:LOL:!!!

Can I thank you for encouragIng us to have fun shootIng a few rolls of fIlm, and congratulate StIngerNIkon on the qualIty of hIs photo! A worthy wInner among some admIrable shots.

Back