FILM Photographer of the Year 2020 Discussion Thread ***Final Scores Added***

Happy to carry on. Still got nothing for this month though. You guys shooting for future themes are very well organised! I can barely remember what day it is when I wake up!

Hatsoffemote :)

I say let's just carry on and try and be creative. I'm currently practicing what I believe is called 'social distancing' as I'm in the high risk group so I won't be going out and about anywhere near as much so I can see a lot of still life stuff in my future :D:ROFLMAO:
Social distancing at Nairn beach this afternoon, and very pleasant too. (apologies for the phone snap)

20200320_140022-copy-tp.jpg

I can see a lot of still life stuff in my future

It looks like that is going to become pretty much the norm for most of us.

I've already attempted to convince myself that is, atm, the only way to do photography but can I find the motivation to become creative at home ….No! :banghead:

I don't think it's so much the actual type of photography as I often do fairly close up stuff when out and about........Maybe the mind is simply too pre occupied with current events :(

Could take a leaf from Sudek's book he apparently rarely left his study for a period, can't remember if it was due to the nazi occupation of Prague or the initial stages of communism. I'd say try Weston's veg but I couldn't get a bloody onion for tea last week never mind for photography!

What's happening with film processors? Not everyone is any good at home souping and the supplies for same may be harder to get hold of.

I think it might be sensible to make them two month long themes until the situation improves personally.

Have a look at the work of Thomas Demand, he makes scenes from paper and card, no need for veg :)

What's happening with film processors? Not everyone is any good at home souping and the supplies for same may be harder to get hold of.

I think it might be sensible to make them two month long themes until the situation improves personally.

Valid point Suz, one that is easily overlooked by those of us that dev at home.

Assuming that the UK closures / lockdown regulations follow similar to here inFrance, photography stores will be considered a luxury and forced to close their doors to clients.
That said, there are still business ( labs I can't answer for) that continue to trade online as atm mail and parcels is still being circulated albiet a little slower than usual in some areas.

I sent a film to Filmdev on Wednesday and got the invoice yesterday lunchtime, with a "thanks for your support", so they seem to be operating as normal at the moment.

It's certainly a concern. Peak Imaging went from Mon-Fri to Mon-Thurs working at the start of the year, so I really hope the current situation doesn't harm them too much.

In terms of taking photos, I'll play it by ear, but I think I'll move to a lot more landscapey stuff as I can do that without coming into contact with anyone else usually.

I sent Filmdev a note via their website to thank them for the films I got back this last week, and got a nice reply saying they're carrying on as long as they can.

Can I change my entry for this month or is that not the done thing? Just scanned another roll and found potentially a better photo, TBH I had forgotten that I had used the last few frames of that roll on the same subject as the next roll from which the current entry came.

Can I change my entry for this month or is that not the done thing? Just scanned another roll and found potentially a better photo, TBH I had forgotten that I had used the last few frames of that roll on the same subject as the next roll from which the current entry came.
Strictly speaking, as Asha says, I should say no but since we are in "interesting times" maybe we could add an extra rule for the remainder of the year that everyone is allowed 1 gimme.

What's everyone's thoughts on this idea?

Also assuming there are no objections from the other photographers?

Alright with me (y)

Hmmm I'm gunna duff you up Nick @RaglanSurf :punch: cos IF I should obtain another possibility for this months theme, this decission will put me in a dilema as to which one to enter....I don't like dilemas, and now I'm not so sure that i still like you :p;):LOL:

OK OK :agree:

but if I change one of my entries and then lose my podium position; I'll be sneaking out of confinement and paying Mr Smurf a visit :bat::LOL::LOL:

Yes, it's definitely going to be difficult, especially when you have elderly parents who don't have a car and can't get to the shops.:(

As we are not allowed out for non essential and all that, may I suggest relaxing the rule regarding when the photo was taken?

Perhaps allowing something from the archives for a one off?

Stay safe everyone

Regards

Mark

As we are not allowed out for non essential and all that, may I suggest relaxing the rule regarding when the photo was taken?

Stay safe everyone

Regards

Mark

I guess that it's not out of question.

Looking at the remaining themes though, there are many that I could probably cover without the need to even leave the computer, let alone my home.

Tbh I'm not sure wether it would be fair on others for me to enter them .

Tbh I'm not sure wether it would be fair on others for me to enter them .

You're so modest!! :D

I think the fire one is the only one I can't work out how to shoot in the shed without serious issues. As long as the ole shoehorn can be applied to stranger in stranger portrait.

You're so modest!! :D

I think the fire one is the only one I can't work out how to shoot in the shed without serious issues. As long as the ole shoehorn can be applied to stranger in stranger portrait.

If you do figure it out and it then all goes badly wrong, just make sure you take a photo of the conflagration. At least you'll have a comp entry. Every cloud and all that... :)

I think the fire one is the only one I can't work out how to shoot in the shed without serious issues.

Combine it with the "stranger portrait" and tell everybody that the speck in the distance is Arthur Brown.

it's a Crazy World out there...

Combine it with the "stranger portrait" and tell everybody that the speck in the distance is Arthur Brown.

it's a Crazy World out there...

I could always get one of the firefolk to stand still bathed in the light of my disintegrating shed! :D

Nah, liberal application of the shoehorn is all that's needed. There is already the New Old Film challenge for archive stuff. There's always cyanotypes and photograms if you can't get negs processed :)

I could always get one of the firefolk to stand still bathed in the light of my disintegrating shed! :D
You'd have to be at least 2 metres away, and that's not taking account of any wind-spread effect of the contagion matter. :eek:

I am depressingly impressed with the submissions so far (IYSWIM). I have a couple of frankly terrible options in the bag for this month, and maybe a few more (including one crowbar) in the two films sent off to Filmdev yesterday (as part of my daily exercise). Whether they get processed in time is in the lap of the gods of destiny, I guess.

Last week while out, with a 80-200 zoom on the camera, I saw a Barn Owl flying in broad daylight... but it was there and gone in a second or so, before my hand had even got as far as touching the camera, let alone lifting and focusing it! Wonderful sight, though. Can I submit the pre-visualised shot, please? ;)

I've only just realised that it's the end of the month, so it's going to have to be a shoehorn for me! The last two weeks at work have been the busiest of my life so I haven't even had time to think about photography let alone pick up a camera lol.

I am depressingly impressed with the submissions so far (IYSWIM). I have a couple of frankly terrible options in the bag for this month, and maybe a few more (including one crowbar) in the two films sent off to Filmdev yesterday (as part of my daily exercise). Whether they get processed in time is in the lap of the gods of destiny, I guess.

Last week while out, with a 80-200 zoom on the camera, I saw a Barn Owl flying in broad daylight... but it was there and gone in a second or so, before my hand had even got as far as touching the camera, let alone lifting and focusing it! Wonderful sight, though. Can I submit the pre-visualised shot, please? ;)

Yep, having just looked through the list of entries I'm blown away by the quality. Usually there are one or two that I really love, but this month is seems that everyone has posted something worthy of first place!

Back