Film Portrait Photographers - The greatest

Just been through the posts again, and there was no mention of Ansel Adams, yes I am fully aware he is known for his landscapes, but he took quite a few good portraits too.

Another photographer who's work I really liked was Bert Hardy and some of his wartime stories are great.

EdBray said:
Another photographer who's work I really liked was Bert Hardy and some of his wartime stories are great.

I always have time for Bert Hardy. At the age of 11 or so, he was one of the reasons I first picked up a camera with serious intent.

Last edited:
I was really surprised to see it took a while before someone mentioned Steve McCurry. My all time favourite photographer. Not strictly portraits, but did take one of the most famous portraits ever.

All that talent and still managed to put up with Noddy Holder... what a man ;)

Believe it or not, Imogen Cunningham's portraits are pretty good.I Bought a cheap book on it a couple of weeks ago. There's a good bit of rubbish to sift through, but if you can see past that there aer some really nice portraits there!

I'll put a word in for Editta Sherman.

Some magnificent 8x10 portraits and a colossal, largely unseen archive.

The interview is from approx 2008.

She was forced to leave her Carnegie Hall Studio apartment as was her fellow photographer Bill Cunningham.

[YOUTUBE]NKuFeF1iHws[/YOUTUBE]

anybody else would probably have been worried about getting RTM'ed over it... If it happens to me, i'd probably get an extra :jaffa: or 3...

Without a doubt, my favourite photographer of all time has to be Paolo Roversi.
He's an italian 'fashion photographer' still working today, but he uses film with
long exposures to create real romantic, dream-like portraits.

This is his website.

I'm also a huge admirer of Keith Carter's work, altho his portraits were few & far
between, I'd like to use some of his techniques in my own portraits.

Without a doubt, my favourite photographer of all time has to be Paolo Roversi.
He's an italian 'fashion photographer' still working today, but he uses film with
long exposures to create real romantic, dream-like portraits.

This is his website.

I'm also a huge admirer of Keith Carter's work, altho his portraits were few & far
between, I'd like to use some of his techniques in my own portraits.

Good call, Paolo Roversi certainly is awesome. His claim to fame is his polaroid LF exposures, though watch some new-ish BTS stuff and you'll see him shooting tethered medium format digital

Good call, Paolo Roversi certainly is awesome. His claim to fame is his polaroid LF exposures, though watch some new-ish BTS stuff and you'll see him shooting tethered medium format digital

If you don't mind me asking, where can I find his BTS stuff?
I've read his article he did on his techniques & his 'relationship with light'. He's
such an inspiration haha. I'm going up to the Waterstones in Picadilly tmrw to
attempt getting a copy of one of his books.

If you don't mind me asking, where can I find his BTS stuff?
I've read his article he did on his techniques & his 'relationship with light'. He's
such an inspiration haha. I'm going up to the Waterstones in Picadilly tmrw to
attempt getting a copy of one of his books.

He's one of my favourites too, there are various articles on his site, the ones in pdf format. There are a few BTS videos floating about, even on youtube, just watched a 2011 Vogue on on my phone just search his name (y)

He's one of my favourites too. There are a few BTS videos floating about, even on youtube, just watched a 2011 Vogue on on my phone just search his name (y)

Awh cheers.
Amazing photographer ♥
I'll have to have a little browse ~
I've looked through some of the articles on his site a couple of times.

Just seen a trailer on BBC4 for We'll take Manhattan based upon David Bailey and Jean Shrimpton on a Vogue shoot in New York, 1962.

Wow, came across a few photographers here I haven't explored before.
I'm liking Mike Disfarmer's old fashioned work.

My favourite portrait photographer that works with film is Paolo Roversi.

I enjoyed that..

Back