Film portraits, home developed

Looks good to me, well done on your first self-develop.

Nice pastel renditions, I suppose painterly would be one description. At first I wasn't too sure about them but the more I look at them the more I like them. Love the enigmatic smile in #2.

Are these colours normal for whatever film you've used? It looks a bit like what happens when I mistakenly export AdobeRGB instead of sRGB.

Colours aside, they're fab!

I think there may be user error with temperature/timing of the developing.

I think there may be user error with temperature/timing of the developing.

I dunno - my results on Portra 400 have usually come out very similar to this - it's definitely not a particularly "in your face" film, colour rendering wise... Indeed when I saw the shots my first technical thought was "bet that's portra, go have a look in the film & conventional section where he showed the negs..."

I dunno - my results on Portra 400 have usually come out very similar to this - it's definitely not a particularly "in your face" film, colour rendering wise... Indeed when I saw the shots my first technical thought was "bet that's portra, go have a look in the film & conventional section where he showed the negs..."

It is indeed portra 400 IMG_1487610730.415470.jpg

Great to see that you're now doing colour at home, Shaheed!

I will be honest, I think the colours are a little off. I saw them on my phone but wanted to look on the computer before commenting. Wouldn't be what I would expect from Portra 400 anyway. This is one reason I still leave colour developing to the lab. That and dust spotting! Haha.

Hope you appreciate the honesty.

I agree with Gareth that the colours look slightly off to me too. It looks almost like an inconsistent temperature during developing. That said I rarely shoot Portra so it may just look like that.
I like number 2 though.

I agree with Gareth that the colours look slightly off to me too. It looks almost like an inconsistent temperature during developing. That said I rarely shoot Portra so it may just look like that.
I like number 2 though.

Thinking back, I might have left the dev tank out of the "water bath" despite the reagents being at temp!

Although I guess you live and learn so I'll see what happens next time!!

Thinking back, I might have left the dev tank out of the "water bath" despite the reagents being at temp!

Although I guess you live and learn so I'll see what happens next time!!
When I develop colour film I keep the tank in the water the whole time(well, after I have done the first lot of agitations)... using the 'stick' thing to swish the reel in the tank. It is that drop in temperature when lifting in and out that is enough to colour cast your film(not always, but is often a factor).

When I develop colour film I keep the tank in the water the whole time(well, after I have done the first lot of agitations)... using the 'stick' thing to swish the reel in the tank. It is that drop in temperature when lifting in and out that is enough to colour cast your film(not always, but is often a factor).

I did think after that I should have left it in. Oopsie

Great to see that you're now doing colour at home, Shaheed!

I will be honest, I think the colours are a little off. I saw them on my phone but wanted to look on the computer before commenting. Wouldn't be what I would expect from Portra 400 anyway. This is one reason I still leave colour developing to the lab. That and dust spotting! Haha.

Hope you appreciate the honesty.

Always appreciate the honesty! I think it's always going to be a little of a learning curve. But relatively happy with them.

Colour film printers were always adjusting colours to suit both the film type and the subject 'back in the day'. Don't accept results 'as is', but tweak & adjust, just as you would for digital. It seems modern colour films are biased towards softer colours and lower contrast than the films I used 30 years ago that were really punchy and bright, and even Velvia (IIRC - or might have been Provia - deliberately lower contrast & softer tones) that I used for weddings was quite a bit punchier than most of what I see now.

Back