Film scanner

Name
Derek
Edit My Images
Yes
I've just re-kindled my interest in my film cameras, and have started using them again. At this point I don't intend to start my own developing again, but will be relying on the high street outlets to perform that task.

What I was wondering was if anyone can recommend a scanner so that I can convert the 35mm negatives in to digital files for sharing with the rest of the world?

Alternatively, are there any retailers who would put the images on to a disc for me at the same time as developing?

I've got a Canon too and it's fab for 35mm and MF too (Pants with a double width neg from a Hasselbad Xpan though!)

Believe it or not boots will still do a film to CD for you as will Jessops. Pleny of good online ones too including Peak Imaging who I've had numerous recommendations of.

Alternatively, many of the Kodak or Fuji pro labs will process and scan for you. If you are a Kodak user, using the Kodak pro lab ensures that they Quality Check their processors and will tailor the processing for your film type...unlike Jessops or Boots! Likewise for the Fuji labs and Fuji films.

There are usually a few around the place...

Kodak Lab Locator

Fuji Lab Locator

They usually cost a bit more...but treat your films right!

Thanks for the info guys. Will probably get the developer to do the scanning to start with, but will be looking to get a scanner myself at some point. Price is not too important; quality of scanned image will be my priority.

I've got quite a few slides lying around that could do with being scanned, so should be fun.

I have no experience of flatbed scanners but there are a couple of Epson flatbeds that people on here rate very highly. If your happy to splash out a bit a 2nd hand Nikon Coolscan IV (or 4000 if you can stretch that far) is a great bit of kit, i wouldn't bother with the Coolscan III unless you're happy using SCSI.

If you really want to push the boat out the Coolscan 9000 is excelent.

I've just re-kindled my interest in my film cameras, and have started using them again. At this point I don't intend to start my own developing again, but will be relying on the high street outlets to perform that task.

What I was wondering was if anyone can recommend a scanner so that I can convert the 35mm negatives in to digital files for sharing with the rest of the world?

Alternatively, are there any retailers who would put the images on to a disc for me at the same time as developing?

As we speak I am scanning some old negs on a Canon 5600F that I got for the same reason as you and I have been well pleased with the results

I've been very happy with the output of my Canon 8800F - even happier now i'm getting the hang of the Silverfast SE software that was bundled with it.

Having scanned all my old negs, I can tell you that in my opinion scanning is a task that should be avoided if you can get them scanned when you are getting your film processed. Most, if not all, places will do them for a few quid extra, and the quality is normally very good if you are only looking to share them on the web.
If you want bigger, higher quality scans, send your film away for processing at somewhere like Metro Colour Labs in Birmingham and you'll get a much larger file back.

Having scanned all my old negs, I can tell you that in my opinion scanning is a task that should be avoided if you can get them scanned when you are getting your film processed.

That'd be tricky for me - I dev. my own BnW, and i'm probably going to have a go at E6 in the new year :LOL:

Having scanned all my old negs, I can tell you that in my opinion scanning is a task that should be avoided if you can get them scanned when you are getting your film processed. Most, if not all, places will do them for a few quid extra, and the quality is normally very good if you are only looking to share them on the web.
If you want bigger, higher quality scans, send your film away for processing at somewhere like Metro Colour Labs in Birmingham and you'll get a much larger file back.

Tesco suits me as they develope the film and put the images on CD for £1.98, for a 1.3mb file you get an image like this:-
http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn172/chakrata/Photo04_2A.jpg

Spot the spots? Well for the price I don't mind touching up with PS and if I want a bit better results, scan with my V750.

<snippy>i'm probably going to have a go at E6 in the new year :LOL:

peek.gif

:LOL: it kind of makes me feel a little like that too - but i'm prepared to get one of those 3 bath tetenal kits and give it a go. If it works, I'm set up for BnW or Colour in house that way.

I'm definitely not going for a wet darkroom printing setup, no room in the house for it, but scanning and a good inkjet print up to A4 and Togsprint for anything bigger will see me right!

I've done the film stuff before, albeit a long time ago, so i'm not over worried by the prospect - if it all comes back to me as easily as the BnW devving did, it'll be sound.

I thought some about it myself, then discovered Rapture Photographic in Norwich and so in future I'll be letting them take the colour strain - at £5 developed and 6x4's I'd be mad not to. Proper job too - I'll still keep my hands on the BW though. Actually, today saw the HP5 arriving so no more of that Chinese stuff! (I just need to find a place to get rid now... )

I assume you will keep us up to date with the highs and lows?

Arthur

Most of the time if I want colour I end up using the digital kit instead, to be honest. Occasionallly, I'll decide that "Today's A Velvia Day" and take a couple of rolls out. I don't seem to use C41 much anymore - I've maybe 5 rolls of Ektar 100 in the fridge, and a couple more of Fuji from a bulk pack of short-dated film from the local asda which I've been using for test-rolls when i've bought cameras or cleaned my old ones. But I do like shooting Tranny - maybe it's the tighter exposure lattitude that forces me to try harder to get it right :shrug:.

Problem is, when you get used to turning your own BnW round te same day, sending the E6 away in the post and waiting (or taking it to the local labs and hanging around) just seems a waste, when I could have it souped, dried and scanned in a couple of hours.

Back