Film SLR

Name
Ben Hoskins
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,

I have just started a photography course at collge and need a 35mm film SLR. I was looking at the Canon EOS 1000FN as i had read good reviews about it and i found a good deal for the body only, but im new to SLR cameras and was wondering what lens could fit on to it and if i needed an adaptor or anything

A quick reply would be greatly appreciated

cheers !!

no adaptor needed, it either fit or won't. All EF will, every other lens won't.

As for examples..............erm, what do you mean ?

the 1000FN is a great wee camera and dirt cheap nowadays. I've still got mine, partly due to nostalgia and partly due to the fact it's not worth selling.

As for lenses, if you're on a tight budget, look at the 50mm F1.8 (can't believe I'm recommending it :p ), the 28-105mm F3.5/4.5 is also under rated, also consider the Sigma 75-300mm Apo version for a bit more length.

If funds aren't tight there's a whole load more you could consider.

sorry im not very good with the whole lens thing, but you know they all have a 35-80mm for example, what one would i need ?

The 35-80 was the standard kit lens which came with the 1000FN originally. It's a reasonable quality consumer lens. Decent range but build quality could be better, saying that I never had a problem with mine :)

Edit: oh, and welcome to the forum :)

You could always look at the Nikon F80. Fantastically great camera and I still use it for wedding shoots. Coupled with a Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 AF-D your laughing.

It's not a brilliant lens but it will do the job. Version 3 was the best of them, which that is :)

I had one (35-80). Like I say it's not brilliant but it will do the job. It's quiet, focusses reasonably quickly, does the job. Image quality is adequate. I've got some old prints here but my scanners not connected. They look fine at 7X5. Here's some reviews as well. as you'll see they're mixed.

http://www.photographyreview.com/cat/lenses/35mm-zoom/canon/PRD_83420_3128crx.aspx

In some ways though you'd be better going for the 50mm F1.8. Slightly more expensive but far better image quality. You'll be stuck with one focal length but that's not necessarily a bad thing when you're starting out.

did you see the link in my last post ? I have also been advised to ask my teacher whether zoom lenses are allowed as sometimes they are not so ill check that out and if they are allowed i may go for the 28-105mm F3.5/4.5 as you said but if zoom is not allowed it looks like the 50mm F1.8 looks a good bet

is the one in that link the 28-105 you were on about ?

sorry wrong link

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CANON-ZOOM-LE...oryZ4687QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

would that one be okay ?

sorry, I was replying to the wrong link :bonk:

Of the 28-105's the first link you posted is the better one, that's the one I referred to in my first post. The second version is a cheaper alternative but with lower image and build quality.

never used the second one so I'm going by reviews and other people's comments.

Nothing wrong with the F3.5 model, see below

rick3.jpg

okay thanks that pic looks good and may go for that seeing as thats the sort of pictures i would like to do with sport and stuff.........thanks alot for all your great help and i will probably post back tomorrow if i need to know anything else:p

Back