Film vs Digital

Last edited:
I'm of the opinion digital colours are more true to life as well
Well if Canon, Nikon etc are clever they would fiddle the software in the camera to what the average person's eyes see. But my close up shots of flowers, on film, look true and excellent to me but then do I have different eyes to Joe public o_O;)

You can calibrate end to end which I do. For some professional photographers the absolute colour is very important (e.g. fashion). A wedding photographer may use two cameras to save changing lenses and it is important that the colours are the same from each camera so both need to be calibrated.

Dave

I have found that I shoot very little 35mm film and mostly 120 and some 4x5 (I also have some half-plate size film but am saving that for when my 'darkroom' is useable again).

Tons of detail from the larger negatives and just more fun shooting it then 35mm imho.

I develop my own B&W and will do colour soon. I enjoy that part too. I really enjoy making darkroom prints but am restricted to scanning and inkjets prints currently which is fine; just not as engaging.

I also really enjoy my Olympus EM1 MkII which is a terrific digital camera. I enjoy pairing up old lenses with it too.

This thread has reminded me that I have quite a bit of money tied up in 35mm film cameras that I never use because I prefer digital for the smaller (35mm) format. I think from here on I will only shoot MF film, therefore I will move on some of my 35mm gear (not all just in case).

I'm in the same situation Paul, I have at least a dozen 35mm film cameras and I could part with at least eight or nine of them. :rolleyes:

I much prefer shooting MF - not sure about LF yet as I've only just started.

Item added to 'to-do' list . . .

Back