Film + X-ray worries

Edit My Images
Yes
Hello Chaps,

I'm looking to travel abroad first time with BW film. There is mixed information on the internet about the effects of xrays and exposure.

I only really want to take 200 iso fomapan film as a result.

Flying from Gatwick to copenhagen, is it worth asking for a hand search or are the muppet security people likely to damage it more that way than the x-rays.

Cheers
sid

Don't worry about it, just take it in your carry on baggage. It will be fine.

Maybe 30 years ago your high iso rated exposed film may have been at risk but not any more.

^^WHS^^

Take on as hand luggage.

The only place where you can request for hand search of film is flying out of the US - even then, the TSA can put it through the scanners if they so please. You can ask the people at Gatwick, but because it's not what they are trained to do, you'll probably be asked to put it through the scanner.

ISO200 Fomapan will be absolutely fine.

Thanks a lot guys :D

I guess the information online is out of date then

The information on the internet regarding this topic varies from absolutely accurate to downright absurd.

So I guess our information must fit in somewhere in-between... :D

I've travelled with Neopan 1600 and Tri-X pushed to 1600, got scanned at Heathrow and Doha both ways (so 4 passes), the film came out fine. East Asian countries are much more tolerant when it comes to performing a hand check, take the film out of their plastic canisters (wrapping if you're using 120) as well.

think i saw a optech film x ray bag thing on ebay for not too much :) if you still worried

Well I had no problem through the hand luggage scanner with Fuji colour 1600 ISO... in Europe there and back.

think i saw a optech film x ray bag thing on ebay for not too much :) if you still worried

Don't bother with them, they usually cause cause them to hand search all of your luggage as they can't see into the bag or they increase the power to see through the bag, either way it'll just cause even more inconvenience. Even for ISO 800 and above film it takes a good 8 - 10 scans before any damage becomes apparent.

Back