FilmDev.co.uk - Ordering

Name
Jim
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm going to give FilmDev a try as I'm not totally happy with my current lab. How many films can you send at once, how do you pay and how much does it cost postage-wise to send them? I might have 6 or 7 rolls by next week...also, which scanner is everyone using?

Last edited:
Download an order form and send off as many as you want.
They send an invoice, I pay through PayPal usually, and then they send you a WeTransfer link to download the files.
I think on your first order they will phone you and ask for your card details before sending the files but after that they just send an invoice.
They usually send my files before they send the invoice now.

Postage is down to you and the PO, or courier if you can get a deal. Film in a padded envelope will be small parcel rate and that depends on whether you use 1st or 2nd class and if you want it signed for. I think I paid £4.45 for 1st class signed for a few weeks ago. It's not much split between 6 or 7 films.

Thanks, I'll give them a go then when I've got a few more rolls finished.

I tend to use Special Delivery now, especially when posting 4+ rolls to give me peace of mind. It's not that much more than 1st class.

A tip for filmdev - if you're going to edit the scans in Lightroom or similar after, ask for no sharpening and then sharpen in Lightroom yourself. I find filmdev tend to over sharpen for my tastes, and it becomes especially apparent on areas that don't need sharpening like clear blue (or uniform grey) skies.

Is it just me that doesn't understand their order form?

- It states free uk return delivery, but then has a checkbox for recorded delivery or special delivery.
- The 7 checkbox hell... I get that the three rows represent different scan sizes (small, medium & large) but I have no idea which box to check.

57e9QHq.jpg

C41 on the left, B&W on the right? (what's in the middle)
What do the 2 prices mean? Are you supposed to underline the price you want?
I presume they don't do a dev only service?

Maybe I'm just thick, but if they want "normal" (i.e. people new to film) people to use their service they could make the form a lot more user friendly. I was done in 3 clicks with AG.

Fairly simple, no ?

Choice of Noritsu or Frontier scanner for C41, but they only run large scans on the Noritsu. The two prices are £/Euro as per the heading.
Frontier scans are generally more 'punchy', Noritsu smoother and higher res. Explains the difference between the scanners with samples on their front page.

AG don't give you a choice of scanners, hence simpler form to complete.

Standard delivery for return of your negs is free, but you can opt for recorded or special delivery and pay more.

Last edited:
I use my own version of a (slightly older?) order form that has fewer boxes (but is in Word so I can save the repeatable details like name, email, address). I think they say somewhere that if you don't have access to a printer, just write what you want on a piece of paper.

BTW I don't tick those boxes but insert the number of films...

Also BTW yes, I suggest asking them NOT to sharpen if you have access to a photo editor. I also ask them to split the separate films into separate folders, which makes importing easier.

Sometime I might ask them if they'll consider reinstating the TIFF option; I might be prepared to pay a little extra for 16-bit TIFFs (which the Noritsu can produce but the Frontier can't, AFAIK). Earlier I proved to my own satisfaction that there was no significant difference for me in editing a 8-bit TIFF compared to a JPEG (even after doing multiple edit/save sequences in PS), but I've spotted a bit of posterisation in my histogram so I'm feeling all perfectionist (hah! with MY images!!!)...

Thanks for the clarification. Do they do dev only? And does anyone know the price? Or did I miss that too?

(PS Sorry for hijacking your thread Jim. All info in one place is useful though)

Thanks for the clarification. Do they do dev only? And does anyone know the price? Or did I miss that too?

(PS Sorry for hijacking your thread Jim. All info in one place is useful though)

Just checked their (new) web page, and... they have rather simplified things haven't they! Maybe too much... FWICR they might do dev only but it might be the same price as small scans... ETA give them a ring?

I think the last lot I got from Film Dev I asked for large TIFFs and no sharpening. Been really happy with their service. But I don't do much film, so I'm not sending multiple film rolls in one go.

No problem, it's all on topic and useful stuff ;)

Is anyone printing from their scans or just sharing online etc? I'm guessing a medium scan will get 7x5 (8x10?)

Last edited:
BTW watch out for the invoice, it always ends up in my spam folder and comes from a different email address, "New Look Studio" IIRC, they don't process the order until you have paid.

I think the last lot I got from Film Dev I asked for large TIFFs and no sharpening. Been really happy with their service. But I don't do much film, so I'm not sending multiple film rolls in one go.

How did you get TIFFs? I've just looked at their order form and it says that they're only scanned in JPEG?

BTW watch out for the invoice, it always ends up in my spam folder and comes from a different email address, "New Look Studio" IIRC, they don't process the order until you have paid.

Really? I generally get the download before the invoice. I am however very special and much loved and trusted throughout the empire. :D

Really? I generally get the download before the invoice. I am however very special and much loved and trusted throughout the empire. :D
Or maybe just a really good customer? ;) I've also had the download link before paying the invoice, but presumably as a repeat customer. (y)

Or maybe just a really good customer? ;) I've also had the download link before paying the invoice, but presumably as a repeat customer. (y)

I suppose you could be right Peter.....;)

For dev only the charge the same as if you have small scans, so worth getting the small scan option anyway.

I have found their scanning up & down. Generally it is good, but one of the last rolls of colour they did for me I rescanned one frame in particular on my Coolscan V and the colours were much, much better, even before using an editor.

This may have been a bit of a one off though.

No problem, it's all on topic and useful stuff ;)

Is anyone printing from their scans or just sharing online etc? I'm guessing a medium scan will get 7x5 (8x10?)

See this thread I made recently over scan size confusion.... https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/t...-resolution-or-file-size.675272/#post-8131940

From that, I guess the Noritsu scanner is set for a short side final print size, as a medium scan for 135 would produce approx 10"x7", and an MF 6x6 medium scan 7"x7", at 300dpi.

In practice their medium scans look very good printed at 10*8 at least, and probably larger. But as another thread shows, my eyes need calibrating!

Has anyone got any 35mm landscape devs/scans on Flickr (or whatever) done at FilmDev so we can have a nosy? I'm curious because I'm going to Scotland next week and am thinking about going all-film and leaving the DSLR at home. I wouldn't mind a look at some samples before I commit to sending my rolls off.

Last edited:
See eg https://flic.kr/p/ZSB3SQ and many others in my Photostream (anything recent scanned with Noritsu or Frontier). If scanned by Plustek, that's me.

Apparently there is no noticeable difference between the JPG and TIFFs so they dont offer it anymore.

Has anyone got any 35mm landscape devs/scans on Flickr (or whatever) done at FilmDev so we can have a nosy? I'm curious because I'm going to Scotland next week and am thinking about going all-film and leaving the DSLR at home. I wouldn't mind a look at some samples before I commit to sending my rolls off.
Not so much landscape, but here's one or two I've had processed at FilmDev, but this was done last year. (Exif suggests the Fuji scanner) Afga Color poundland film I think.
R1-07414-0015a.jpg (click for larger)

And

Street life
by Alistair Beavis, on Flickr

I'm about to send off another film to them though and will be asking for large TIFFs, this is what I've had before and have been happy with the results.

I’ve recently been using filmDev. They’ve been very nice and helpful. Like Andy, on my second order they’d actually sent the link before I’d paid. I had rung to confirm they’d received the film though!

Back