Filmdev: Frontier vs. Noritsu

Do you prefer the Frontier scans or the Noritsu scans?

• Frontier

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Noritsu

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Name
Elio
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello.
I'm relatively new to the forum. This is my first post but I've lurked for months now. I finally decided to create an account, since this community seems very nice and welcoming.

I'm a young adult from France who's been shooting film for quite some time now (+10 years) and since 2017 I've been using filmdev (medium and large scans).
95% of my scans have been with the Frontier. I shoot mostly Ektar and Portra on 120 film and also a bit of Ultramax on 35mm film.
I once ordered some Noritsu scans but wasn't very happy with the results. Mind you, I reckon I messed up the exposure on that roll and it was underexposed.

I know a fair amount of people use Filmdev on this forum and I was wondering if you guys could please give me your feedback on your scans with the Frontier and Noritsu and which one do you prefer?

To be honest, I might ask to get a roll of film scanned on both machines and then compare, but I'd also like to open a discussion about it. I didn't find a thread like this, so if it already exists, I'm sorry for the duplicate.

Cheers.

Well two questions here;- Difference between fimdev using Noritsu and Frontier AND detailed scans showing the best result that can be obtained from both scanners (without a quick scan due to costs).
There are links on the net showing a direct comparison and the difference is small and what I can remember was the Frontier gave more pleasing results and the Noritsu was slightly sharper BUT erm that's my memory :rolleyes: so if I can find the link will post.
For the last 10 years have used Tesco, Asda and Filmdev all using Frontier scanners and am happy.

Last edited:
Well two questions here;- Difference between fimdev using Noritsu and Frontier AND detailed scans showing the best result that can be obtained from both scanners (without a quick scan due to costs).

Thanks for your reply.
I should have stated that indeed I have seen the examples they have on their website.
I was curious, however, about the feedback from people and their experiences (which can differ from the scans examples the lab provides). Just like you did! :D

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply.
I should have stated that indeed I have seen the examples they have on their website.
I was curious, however, about the feedback from people and their experiences (which can differ from the scans examples the lab provides). Just like you did! :D

The net can be confusing as it depends on the film you are using inc B\W the correct exposure, and the subject...and what the reviewer prefers :rolleyes:
But I've found with Filmdev and every where else that the starting point is a very good neg i.e, poor input and poor output or putting it in a well know phrase it's more difficult " to turn a pigs ear into a silk purse",

Last edited:
So my scans always get done on the default machines (which looks like Noritsu?) and I've never been critical enough to want to try anything else.

I have to work very hard to get my home scans as good as theirs.

To be honest, I might ask to get a roll of film scanned on both machines and then compare

This sounds like the most sensible option. Perception of quality is often very subjective so doing it yourself will probably be best.

Welcome to the forums!

I don't think I've noticed any difference in the quality of the scans, but I've not done a direct comparison. They do recommend the Noritsu for black and white, but that doesn't seem to apply to you, since you're (currently!) shooting in colour. One thing to note, if you decide to get small scans for some reason, the Noritsu small scans are smaller than the Frontier small scans. David from Filmdev did explain the reasoning to me once; it's not something they can set, as the small scans are designed for 6x4" prints. Fuji assume a 300 dpi printer and Noritsu a 254(?????) dpi printer.

Doing a comparison scan sounds like a good idea.

And welcome, Elio!

I don't think I've noticed any difference in the quality of the scans, but I've not done a direct comparison. They do recommend the Noritsu for black and white, but that doesn't seem to apply to you, since you're (currently!) shooting in colour. One thing to note, if you decide to get small scans for some reason, the Noritsu small scans are smaller than the Frontier small scans. David from Filmdev did explain the reasoning to me once; it's not something they can set, as the small scans are designed for 6x4" prints. Fuji assume a 300 dpi printer and Noritsu a 254(?????) dpi printer.

Doing a comparison scan sounds like a good idea.

And welcome, Elio!

In fact in you look up Epson V750 versus Frontier for MF negs....the V750 is quite good, whether you can see the different in an A4 cheap inkjet print is debatable., but then it goes way off topic in what make of photo paper used or Epson versus clone cartridges.
Anyway home scanning is boring, so for most people a lab is more convenient.

I don't mind home scanning. It's the point where I get to see my photos for the first time so there's always a pleasant anticipation to it and a joy in seeing the results emerge on screen.

It's the developing side that I find a chore (just developing the negs - not making prints). Or, more specifically, getting everything ready, and then having to wash everything and clean up afterwards.

Last edited:
I don't mind home scanning. It's the point where I get to see my photos for the first time so there's always a pleasant anticipation to it and a joy in seeing the results emerge on screen.

It's the developing side that I find a chore (just developing the negs - not making prints). Or, more specifically, getting everything ready, and then having to wash everything and clean up afterwards.

:plus1::plus1::plus1:

Back