Filmies Forgive me - for I have sinned...

TheBigYin

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
No
Last months competition was for Panorama's... great I thought, I'll pull out the Pinhole Holga and go find something wide to shoot. Which I did...

I also took the digital camera with me as I wasn't likely to get a chance to re-shoot :)shake: I know - I know - it gets worse)

Anyway - souped the shots from the Holga, and the one above was the best - too many elephants I reckon. So (brace yourselves) I pulled the shots in from the digital to have a look.

And some of 'em actually joined up. So I fabricated a panorama in CS4 (this feels soooo wrong!)

And then - I thought "I'm going to get stoned by the Film Fundamentalists anyway... let's go the whole hog"...

So In the end I committed a 13 Shot, HDR'ed, Fabricated Panoramic... And I'm doing better in the poll than I've ever done. I should be happy - but why do I just feel slightly dirty?

Right - I'm away now to flagelate myself with out of date rolls of Velvia :LOL:

I much prefer the pinhole version but I guess the digital pano has a wider appeal (they're both good shots but I'm a sucker for lo-fi film photography). Now go splash some dev in your eye for punishment :nono:

Oh my... you shoot film, but you chose to HDR a digital shot instead. The door is that way... please leave all the film equipment behind you (preferably on my desk please... :naughty:)

:p

shocking, id never digitally alter my film shots... ;)

The very thought... :naughty:

Mind you, it's an excellent pano, well stitched and impressively-edited. HDR's not so apparent either, not sure I'd have known if you had kept quiet about it.

I much prefer the pinhole version, it has something about it and isn't just another stitched pano with horrendous distortion

mass appeal is great if you want it, but are lots of "that's nice" better than a few "WOW"s? I know which I would choose

Good luck with the comp BTW

Love this shot of yours. I'd have chosen it over the one on this page and the HDR'd version.

I miss film... :(

To be absolutely honest, I far prefer either of the Film shots. I'd have liked them even better if I'd have nailed the exposure, and hadn't had to do lots of processing on them post-scanning to get them into the form I've shared with you...

For me, shooting the film stuff is about getting it right in the camera, and I just don't feel right spending lots of time noodling around with them. I don't mind doing a bit of work on the BnW shots, provided it's something I used to be able to do in a wet darkroom - bit of dodging/burning, increase/decrease contrast - that kind of thing, but colour's different somehow. If I've too much faffing around to do, I just kind of "lose the love" for those shots.

For what it's worth - the positive comments about my film shots i've had in here, have done more for my confidence in shooting than any number of votes in the POTY :)

edit: it also says something that the only 2 shots i've accumulated a decent number of votes for in the last 2 years have been fabricated digital jobs... last november's was a multi-layering photoshop job as well - maybe i'm just a better photoshopper than I am photographer :shrug:

Love this shot of yours. I'd have chosen it over the one on this page and the HDR'd version.

I miss film... :(

^^^WHS^^^, that's a cracking shot.

Although at the risk of being ostracised, I do rather like the digital, panoramic, HDR'd stitched shot.

Lordy, woah there a minute... Was that linked shot (clicky) one of the ones you rejected?!? That's amazing! Can't believe you chose the digital over that :eek:

Don't get me wrong, love the digital one too, but that's an absolute corker :clap:

Lordy, woah there a minute... Was that linked shot (clicky) one of the ones you rejected?!? That's amazing! Can't believe you chose the digital over that :eek:

Don't get me wrong, love the digital one too, but that's an absolute corker :clap:

I posted an earlier, less well processed version of the shot in the toy cameras thread, and didn't dare submit the linked version, as I'm sure someone would have said it was already posted :shrug:

To be absoloutely honest, I like the digital one for what it is, which is a obviously fabricated, over distorted to gain impact shot. I do like the level of detail it's got, but to be perfectly honest, it's more of the Ribblehead Rollercoaster than Ribblehead Viaduct. Still doesn't stop it from being by far the most popular shot I've ever submitted to the competition :naughty:

After all the shenanigans with voting last month, I just thought I'd really better play it safe and not risk getting DQ'ed.

And just to round this one off - the Digital shot I entered, ended up coming in =5th :bonk: and getting more votes than I'd scored all the rest of the year put together :bonk:

Why Can't I bring myself to like it :wacky:

And just to round this one off - the Digital shot I entered, ended up coming in =5th :bonk: and getting more votes than I'd scored all the rest of the year put together :bonk:

Why Can't I bring myself to like it :wacky:

Don't get me wrong now, I really like the digital shot! But just thought the film one was stunning.

Well - just to round things off - as penance, I made sure that this month's entry was shot on film... Black and White, 120 film, Pinhole camera, absolutely guaranteed to be ignored by the Huddled Digital Masses :LOL: I can only assume that one or two of the film and conventional denizen's spotted it and gave it a vote. For that my sincere thanks...(y)

Pinhole is better IMO.

Thankyou Gary - I far preferred it myself - but strangely, every time I submit something on film, especially Black and White, I get minimal votes. Then I post a viaduct that looks more like a cartoon roller coaster and get my best ever result. I think I'm going to stick with shots l like and hang the consequenses - its not as if I'm ever going to get to the standard of the people who win every month anyway - so there might as well be one person who likes my shots :shrug:

(I really hope I can get something decent for June's competition - i've put a placeholder in at the moment, which curiously enough is actually taken from the digital test exposure for May's fiilm shot :LOL: - Hey - I liked the composition of the shot, it's all about the image at the end of the day...)

Thankyou Gary - I far preferred it myself - but strangely, every time I submit something on film, especially Black and White, I get minimal votes. Then I post a viaduct that looks more like a cartoon roller coaster and get my best ever result. I think I'm going to stick with shots l like and hang the consequenses - its not as if I'm ever going to get to the standard of the people who win every month anyway - so there might as well be one person who likes my shots :shrug:

(I really hope I can get something decent for June's competition - i've put a placeholder in at the moment, which curiously enough is actually taken from the digital test exposure for May's fiilm shot :LOL: - Hey - I liked the composition of the shot, it's all about the image at the end of the day...)

ya know theres a lot of **** on the forums, well the people that take and like that **** also vote :p

I really love the pinhole shots, they seem pretty sharp! this one is simply stunning. I may buy a holga!, Will places like club 35 Dev and scan 6x12's ?

Back