Filming through back of a fridge?

Name
Tim
Edit My Images
Yes
We’re looking to make a short clip filmed from the back of a fridge. Some movement up and down shelves would be great so I’m thinking we get an old one being recycled and take the back off. Any ideas how best to do that (safely)?

Your first job is to get the refrigerant out, and apart from being a bit dangerous, as you have no idea what it is, its not very environmentally friendly

Go to a local repairers / secondhand shop. They are bound to have one the refridgerant has leaked out of

Freon, Tetrafluoroethane or Isobutane are the varying 'nasties' that form the refrigerant, dependent on the date of manufacture. Not good for your health or the environment in most cases.

@Bobsyeruncle @troutfisher @riddell @shreds thanks for the tips. I’ll try the repairer / recycling route see if I can get one with nasties removed then tear down the back (possibly angle grind - I don’t have one nor the safety gear would be a lot extra)

Do you know anyone who might lend you a Dremel to do this job?

https://www.dremel.com/en_US/

These are more appropriate and probably safer tools in the range than an angle grinder especially if you have not used one before. Dremel do a hole cutting drill that is recommended for ceramic tiles, metal or wood to create the sort of holes you require using one of their small handheld multitool drills.

Angle grinder.
Use gloves and safety goggles.

In the end collected an old fridge that had the coolant removed and was being used as a cupboard. Borrowed an angle grinder and used gloves, safety goggles, face mask and ear defenders. Worked very well. Biggest hassle was the insulation material inside. It was vintage 1960s and looked like a wood based material. Kept the face mask and goggles on to clean that up very carefully, double bagged it then hosed down everything afterwards.

We’re looking to make a short clip filmed from the back of a fridge. Some movement up and down shelves would be great so I’m thinking we get an old one being recycled and take the back off. Any ideas how best to do that (safely)?
To do this won't you be releasing refrigerant chemicals into the atmosphere which is (iirc) illegal!

Oooops shoud have read to the end of the thread ... or looked at the dates!

In the end collected an old fridge that had the coolant removed and was being used as a cupboard. Borrowed an angle grinder and used gloves, safety goggles, face mask and ear defenders. Worked very well. Biggest hassle was the insulation material inside. It was vintage 1960s and looked like a wood based material. Kept the face mask and goggles on to clean that up very carefully, double bagged it then hosed down everything afterwards.
“vintage 1960s” aka asbestos?

If the insulation was fibrous you may need to get it checked. If you've put asbestos particles in to the atmosphere, you'll want to get the area professionally cleaned.

If the insulation was fibrous you may need to get it checked. If you've put asbestos particles in to the atmosphere, you'll want to get the area professionally cleaned.

Good idea, will do

Back