Filter advice

Edit My Images
No
Hey folks,

I would like advice please. I am a novice photographer and have recently been doing some landscape shots. I was using my tamron 17-50 for my canon 60D. I have found this of course to be limited so I have just purchased a sigma 10-20. Can someone point me in the right directions to filters, and all associated accessories I would need please?

Three types of filter you might use in landscape photography:

1) Polarising filter, used to enhance blue skies, cut through reflections, deepen the colours of foliage etc.

2) Graduated neutral density (ND Grads), used to hold back a brighter part of a scene (usually the sky) so that the camera can record the whole scene in one frame, http://www.markmullenphotography.co.uk/blog/2013/3/filters-for-landscape-photography

3) Neutral density, reduces the amount of light coming in, which in turn lengthens exposure times, useful for smoothing water out, making clouds looks blurry etc, http://www.markmullenphotography.co.uk/blog/2012/8/long-exposure-photography---my-tips

Three types of filter you might use in landscape photography:

1) Polarising filter, used to enhance blue skies, cut through reflections, deepen the colours of foliage etc.

2) Graduated neutral density (ND Grads), used to hold back a brighter part of a scene (usually the sky) so that the camera can record the whole scene in one frame, http://www.markmullenphotography.co.uk/blog/2013/3/filters-for-landscape-photography

3) Neutral density, reduces the amount of light coming in, which in turn lengthens exposure times, useful for smoothing water out, making clouds looks blurry etc, http://www.markmullenphotography.co.uk/blog/2012/8/long-exposure-photography---my-tips
Just checked out your website. Awesome!
If you could only buy 1 filter at a time, which would you buy first?

Thanks!

A polariser is one of very few filters which can't be replicated through clever editing so that's the first one I'd get.

For grads I'd start with a 2 or 3 stop hard edge.
I've only been out once with my set but the hard edge of the reverse grad was some much more useful than the soft edge. If only for the fact the edge is much easier to position with a harder edge.

My next grad will certainly be a hard, just a case of 2 or 3 but need to see what I think of my current grads which are both 2 stops.

Geez, I didn't expect them to be so pricey :/
Yes, high quality filters aren't cheap. However, there are some gems to be found.

I have a Tiffen circular polarizer, which cost me less than $20, and it's completely fine. Your lens's filter thread is bigger than mine, so it will be more expensive, but that Tiffen is still rather inexpensive.

I don't use graduated neutral density filters at all. While they certainly can be useful, I guess I'm just too lazy to use them. Digital photography opens up a lot of possibilities without the use of filters, and proper HDR technique is a great example of that. I use the 32-bit mode in Photoshop's HDR Pro function. It combines the bracketed shots to a 32-bit TIFF file, which can be manipulated very similarly to a RAW file - after the shots are combined, I save and move back over to Lightroom, and develop it exactly like I do a single RAW file.

I have two standard neutral density filters (standard as in solid, not graduated). One is a Hoya 2-stop filter that I bought very shortly after I learned about the exposure triangle (in other words, when I was an idiot), and a Tiffen 10-stop filter that I bought less than a week after its release. The Hoya isn't a bad filter, but early afternoon sun laughs at the mere 2 stops it blocks, and the Tiffen… well, it's not really neutral. Every shot with the Tiffen is pink. Literally. It has such a terrible color cast that I can't even fix it in Lightroom.
A sensible combination would be two filters, one for 6 stops and the other for 10 stops. LEE Filters makes the best in the industry, the Little Stopper and Big Stopper, respectively, but each costs $140, and requires two additional accessories - an adapter ring that screws onto the filter thread of the lens (the ring for a wide angle lens with a 77mm filter thread costs $60) and a filter holder that sits on the adapter ring.
I've heard wonderful things about the Camdiox CPRO SMC Nano ND1000 (10-stop neutral density) Filter, which costs $72 in the 77mm-diameter version. They also have a variable ND filter that goes from 2 stops all the way to 10 (its official name: Camdiox CPRO SMC Nano Fader ND4-1000 Filter), and that costs $115 - haven't read any reviews about that one (yet). The argument of regular vs. variable ND filter is sort of similar to prime vs. zoom lens...

But before all that - get a good tripod if you don't already have one.

Back