Filter for Canon 100-400L

Name
Kell
Edit My Images
Yes
Just picked up a SH version of this lens and the glass is currently unmarked.

I'd like to keep it that way and am after a filter.

However, when searching for filter size and where to buy I came across some articles that say this lens in particular seems to suffer at the long end when using filters - that is to say the IQ drops off dramatically.

As they're relatively expensive for what they are, I'd be interested to see if anyone is using one, and if so what. And then if they think it has a negative impact in any way on IQ.

Thanks in advance.

Assuming that you're referring to the original version of the 100-400 then a filter is likely to turn the bokeh into something unappealing even if the subject is still rendered sharp enough for your liking.
My advice would be to borrow a filter and form your own opinion before spending too much money.

My original version one simply wouldn’t focus properly with a filter on, but was pin sharp without. It converted me to not using filters as standard on any lens.

That seems to be what I’m reading elsewhere.

I’m not ridiculously over-protective of my kit, but I don’t sling it around either.

Even so, my Tamron lens has picked up a small scratch. Luckily it’s right on the edge.

I *think* it’s because the lens cap isn’t a great fit and keeps falling off. So hopefully this won’t happen to this lens.

I hope you've got a hood.

No caps or filters for my lenses, just hoods.

Back