Filter for Canon 700-200 L f/4

Name
William
Edit My Images
Yes
Well on Monday (not my birthday till then) I will finally be abe to use this amazing lens!!

Can you guys recommend a decent filter for a tight arse like myself?

How much should I be spending?

If I spend to little will I compromise the lens?

Thats the problem, I wouldn't even know what filter to use. I will check google for the different types...

Well on Monday (not my birthday till then) I will finally be abe to use this amazing lens!!

Can you guys recommend a decent filter for a tight arse like myself?

How much should I be spending?

If I spend to little will I compromise the lens?

I had a filter for my 70-200 and I stopped using it as I felt it did lower the quality. My filter was prob not very good....

Im my opinion there is no point getting good glass and putting a poor filter on it. Why do you want the filer? If for protection. some people prefer to use lens hoods, I just try not to drop \ bang mine (and I use a hood from time to time though).

A polariser filter would be useful, or maybe ND grads for landscapes, so I guess it depends on the use / intent.

I don't use filers but I'm sure someone can advise you on a good one if you let us know what you want it for, but it will be £££ I imagine.

Good luck!

Al

Thats the problem, I wouldn't even know what filter to use. I will check google for the different types...

don't take this the wrong way, but if you don't know which type you want, or more to the point why you would be getting one, then really don't get one!

Photography makes you want to buy all sorts of things, some of which you may not need.

That said one of the most popular will be the CPL (polariser)

Here's a quick WIKI link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photographic_filter#Polarizer

I would say its more for protection than anything else. Having said that I do like the look ig the polariser filter and the effect it has on the photo....

Can you recommend a decent one?

Sorry my knowldge is filters is limited to say the least, I believe Hoya's have a good reputation, but I don't know if they produce different quality ones, hopefully someone can help you though - try a search on here as well this will have been asked before I imagine.

I would say its more for protection than anything else

There's a lot of debate over the merits of a filter or not for protection.

Some people, mysef included, say that a hood offers just as much physical protection whilst protecting from flare without interfering with the optics of the lens.

Don't forget that sticking a £20 piece of glass infront of a £1000 piece of glass will decrease the quality

*waits for someone to come and debate that filters offer superior protection*

Don't forget that sticking a £20 piece of glass infront of a £1000 piece of glass will decrease the quality

*waits for someone to come and debate that filters offer superior protection*

I think you've summed it up in a nutshell there for me. I think I will hang fire on the lens filter for a while and see how it goes with the mahhooosive lens hood.

Back