Filter holder advice please

Name
Joe
Edit My Images
Yes
Hey all
Im looking to buy a couple of filters for my 17-55mm lens but Im stuck on what size filter holder I need.Im thinking of going with cokin and Ive read some people saying the P series and others saying the wide angle holder for this lens.
Any concrete suggestions ? Also I would like to stack them eventually in case that plays a part in what I need.
Also is cokin the best to go with or another brand ?
Thanks a lot in advance
Joe

Go for 100mm holders and then you can mix Lee and HiTech 100NDs, 150 grads, etc. as price allows. Not seen the HiTech holders but the Lee ones work with either companies filters and you can also stack and independently rotate the holders for cross grads (each holder takes multiple filters).

You'll need a ring for each diameter of lens. An alternative if you don't mind messing about is to get a wide 77 diameter ring and use a set of thin step rings.

Get one of the Lee microfibre three filter covers - they take a lot less room than the large pouches the filters come in.

Go for 100mm holders and then you can mix Lee and HiTech 100NDs, 150 grads, etc. as price allows. Not seen the HiTech holders but the Lee ones work with either companies filters and you can also stack and independently rotate the holders for cross grads (each holder takes multiple filters).

You'll need a ring for each diameter of lens. An alternative if you don't mind messing about is to get a wide 77 diameter ring and use a set of thin step rings.

Get one of the Lee microfibre three filter covers - they take a lot less room than the large pouches the filters come in.

Thanks very much thats great info.
So to double check are these what I need ?
http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-lee-100mm-push-on-holder/p1010396
and
http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-lee-wide-angle-adaptor-ring-77mm/p1010428
and
http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-lee-multi-filter-pouch-10/p1010432
Thanks again
Joe
The pouch is the only thing I could find on wex

Last edited:
Last edited:

Thank you very much Andrew thats perfect.I'll get ordering
Thanks again for all your help,hopefully i'll have some pics to post soon
(y)

p.s out of interest what does the 100x100 and 100x150 stand for please ? Im guessing the first 100 means the size of the filter holder ? Also why do I need 100x100 for the nds but 100x150s for grads ? As you can tell Im no filter expert :bonk:
Thanks again mate
Joe

Last edited:
Thank you very much Andrew thats perfect.I'll get ordering
Thanks again for all your help,hopefully i'll have some pics to post soon
(y)

p.s out of interest what does the 100x100 and 100x150 stand for please ? Im guessing the first 100 means the size of the filter holder ? Also why do I need 100x100 for the nds but 100x150s for grads ? As you can tell Im no filter expert :bonk:
Thanks again mate
Joe

Hi Joe

The sizing reflects the size of the filter itself.

Standard ND filters are square (100mm x 100mm) and ND Grads are 50mm longer (100mm x 150mm). This extra length allows you to slide the filter up and down in the filter holder. This enables you to position the graduation exactly where you need it in the frame without seeing either the top or bottom edges of the filter itself in your composition.

Hope that makes sense :thinking:

Cheers

Mark (y)

Andrew can I ask a quick question please ?
In your links you have chosen the foundation kit holder so I was just wondering out of interest why you have chosen that one and not the 100mm push on filter holder ? I just thought the 100mm holder would cut out any risk of vignetting ? As I said this is just out of interest and Im not questioning your brilliant advice 1 bit (y)
Thanks again mate

From the Lee website, http://www.leefilters.com/index.php/camera:

Push-on filter holder

"The push-on filter holder has been specifically designed to fit straight to certain large format wide-angle lenses which otherwise will not take a filter system. It takes the standard 100mm filters and fits directly to lenses with an outside diameter of 100mm (filter thread often 95mm). It can be custom adapted to fit lenses or centre filters of smaller diameter, but is not generally the best option for sizes less than 86mm."

For standard holders their advice for full frame 35mm is:

16mm max 1 filter
17mm max 2 filters
21+ 3 filters

When I last bought a foundation kit it came with a screwdriver do add and remove slots.

From the Lee website, http://www.leefilters.com/index.php/camera:

Push-on filter holder

"The push-on filter holder has been specifically designed to fit straight to certain large format wide-angle lenses which otherwise will not take a filter system. It takes the standard 100mm filters and fits directly to lenses with an outside diameter of 100mm (filter thread often 95mm). It can be custom adapted to fit lenses or centre filters of smaller diameter, but is not generally the best option for sizes less than 86mm."

For standard holders their advice for full frame 35mm is:

16mm max 1 filter
17mm max 2 filters
21+ 3 filters

When I last bought a foundation kit it came with a screwdriver do add and remove slots.

Thanks mate, I'll get ordering now

If I wanted a circular polariser to use with the nds/grads do you think I could get a screw in ? or does the polariser need to be infront of the nds/grads rather than behind them ?
I do like the polarisers and I did have a screw in a while ago so just thought if I can use the screw in that it could be used to protect the lens as well as giving me the effect.
But if I need a square one then so be it.
Thanks all

You'd normally get a 105 to put in front of the grads.

The normal screw in ones aren't that practical as you'd need to be counter rotating the filters all the time. The observed intensity of graduation is also a factor of distance form the lens, ...plus you'd increase the chance of the holder being in view.

http://www.robertwhite.co.uk/filters/lee-105mm-front-holder-ring-filter.html
http://www.robertwhite.co.uk/filters/lee-105mm-screw-in-circular-polariser-filter.html
(other 105s are available)

Not tried one of these but could be an option:

http://www.robertwhite.co.uk/filters/lee-100mm-square-circular-polariser-filter.html

...you'd likely want the Pro Foundation Kit -- the one with two filter holders so you can rotate the polariser without rotating the grads. Note you can always get the basic foundation kit and add the extra holder later, so no need to buy everything at once.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot Andrew
I just went to order the 77mm wide angle adaptor ring and saw this message in the description "Standard, tele, and moderate wide-angle lenses do not need this type of adaptor - choose the standard pattern".
Does that mean I can get the normal 77mm adaptor ring ? even if Im going to be stacking eventually. This is getting confusing :bonk:
Ive been studying the lee website for the last couple hours lol. What a great site though

I just went for the wide ones so I could use them on any lens - as a 17 DX isn't that wide I doubt you'd have a problem with standards.

Do you see yourself getting anything wider? If so, unless you'll be leaving the rings on (oddly I do for LF but not for 135), a wide could be a better long term plan.

Interesting Teamwork suggest using the wide on anything wider than 35mm on FF 135.

Calumet (on Amazon) say: "The standard adaptor ring is compatible with lens focal lengths of approximately 24-28mm (35mm SLR equivalent) and upwards."

Last edited:
OK, if you look at the 'lens adapters' video on the Lee website it suggests the wide ring for anything wider than 18mm cropped, 24mm full frame.

OK, if you look at the 'lens adapters' video on the Lee website it suggests the wide ring for anything wider than 18mm cropped, 24mm full frame.

I would go for a wide ring for anything even remotely wide. It gives the option of stacking a couple of filters and a polariser on without too much problem. My 20mm vignettes horribly with a standard adaptor and just one filter.

Only disadvantage I've found with a wide adaptor, ignoring price for a second, was when I used a wide adaptor on my old 28-70. Because of the way the barrel could go flush with the housing when zooming, the wide adaptor would catch and limit zoom range. It's the only lens that I've seen with this particular peculiarity though.

I've just found this thread as I'm looking at filters for the nikon 12-24 f4 dx lens on a d7000. I'm thinking about getting a 10 stop filter and I'm presently looking at the hitech one as its available and a little cheaper than the lee filter. Would I be best buying a lee filter holder to use with the hitech 10 stop filter? I'm thinking this would be a good idea in case I want to upgrade to the lee filters in the future . Price wise there doesn't look to be much in it.

For the 12-24 f4 dx lens would I need the lee foundation holder and the 77mm wide angle adaptor in the 100mm size? The links to Robert White at the start of this thread look to be what I would need. I just want to check I'm buying the right holders before I go ahead with it.

As the hitech 10 stop filter can be brought with either a 1.5mm or 3mm gasket, which is the best one to go for?

Back