Filters and Adapters, where to buy?

Name
George
Edit My Images
Yes
Okay,

I want to get a polariser filter for my 17-85. Its a 65mm thread isnt it?

Where is best to buy, I dont want to buy some cheap crap I have to replace in 6 months.

Next, an ND filter, I don't know much about these. I want it so I can use a shutter of around 3-5 seconds in midday for a car rig.. So an ND2 or ND4?

Finally, I am after an M42 adapter, to use some of the old lenses I have been given, shall I just get a cheap £3 ebay one?

Thanks

for a 3/5 second exposure at midday you'll probably want someting like an ND64 (6 stops).

Take a look at this chart: http://www.stephendickey.co.uk/news12634.html
It should give you an idea of what strength you'll need. You can stack filters too, eg two 3-stop filters instead of a 6 stop.

As for your filter size- it's written on the front of you lens somewhere if you're unsure.

Thanks for the link, I think you are right.

Around 1/30 was the right exposure, so to get that to 2s is like 6 stops.

2 seconds is a lot longer than I think actually, just shooting in my room with 2seconds and that is more than enough for the time being.

The only brand I know that does a 6 stop filter is B+W, but if you use 2 3-stop filters instead there's all kinds you could use. Cheap ones like Cokin give a pretty strong purple hue when you stack them. More expensive ones will be better. I've never tried them but people here say good things about formatt/hi-tech filters.

You will need either the B+W 106 six stops or 110 ten stops. As far as I'm aware, nobody else makes such dark ND filters. Warehouse Express sell them, but they seem to go in and out of stock.

The way that ND filters are marked gets confusing, but ND8 for example is only three stops and may not be much use to you. A typical daylight shutter speed is often around 1/500sec; ten stops will take that down to 2 seconds.

If you're shooting on a car rig, you will need a very wide lens, and that won't allow you to stack filters because of vignetting (dark corners). It's not a good idea anyway, because of image quality issues.

Cheers, I know what you mean about the wide angled, but I can't afford one just yet, just thought if an ND filter was like 20-30quid it would do the job for now :)

Thanks for the link, the polariser on there is only £30, same with the ND8.

Are they alright quality? I was prepared to pay a lot more for a decent polariser, more so than an ND filter as it will get used a lot more.

If you're asking about jackthehat, everything I've bought from them has been excellent. Most of their filters are Kood filters and are surprisingly good quality. They also let you return anything you're not happy with. The staff seem quite knowledgable and give good advice.

Cheers, I know what you mean about the wide angled, but I can't afford one just yet, just thought if an ND filter was like 20-30quid it would do the job for now :)

Thanks for the link, the polariser on there is only £30, same with the ND8.

Are they alright quality? I was prepared to pay a lot more for a decent polariser, more so than an ND filter as it will get used a lot more.

Well, you do tend to get what you pay for. With a polariser, which is likely to get quite a lot of use, I would get the very best I could afford - best value would probably be a multi-coated Hoya (or Kenko - same thing, usually a bit cheaper).

If you're going for a cheapy, make sure it is coated. Not only does coating make a big difference with flare and reflections off the sensor, no manufacturer will bother to coat a low quality filter. Well, that's my theory anyway :)

Thanks for that reply, that is what I Was thinking. The ND filters I dont mind if they are crappy quality tbh, its just for my car rig, which will be used like 1 out of 100 photos I hope to take. Where as a polariser is a bit different.

B+W one? That is £98.. is that too I mean, as an ameteur photographer will I notice that much difference between that and a Hoya one ?

Thanks for that reply, that is what I Was thinking. The ND filters I dont mind if they are crappy quality tbh, its just for my car rig, which will be used like 1 out of 100 photos I hope to take. Where as a polariser is a bit different.

B+W one? That is £98.. is that too I mean, as an ameteur photographer will I notice that much difference between that and a Hoya one ?

B+W are a bit more expensive because they are made in West Germany ;) Hoya make various grades of filter, from mid-range to the highest quality, and are better value.

IMHO the best polariser you can get is the Hoya HD, which is £68 from Amazon in 67mm. It's the one I use. Top quality, glass, multi-coated both sides, slim-line mount, and uses a new type of polarising material that only increases exposure by 1.1 stops, compared to 1.7-2 stops for others. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hoya-Digita...5?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1252318685&sr=1-5 Or Hoya Pro1/Kenko Pro1 - I wouldn't pay extra for any other brand.

Back