Filters for filters sake

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
Just going through some recent images I took of bluebells in my local wood and probably because Tom Heaton says so (tongue in cheek) I put a polariser on my wide angle lens. Thinking back there was probably no need for that polariser - it was a pre determined thought process - I even put it in the lens whilst still sat in my car! Filter for filters sake: note to self - consider the conditions before I get them out again me thinks!

consider the conditions before I get them out again me thinks!
Whilst I completely agree with the above, as every decision should in an ideal world be thought through, using a polariser isn't a bad shout for bluebells, particularly if no sky (or it's cloudy) as using it will/could increase the saturation of the colours. A polariser is probably my most used filter but rarely do I use it for skies.

I would agree, a polariser is a must for woodland - increase of colour saturation or taking away the shine of wet leaves in the morning etc.

Maybe I'm doing it wrong but my polarised images taken on my wide angle are worse IQ wise than those taken on my long lens which was filterless. I'll put some images up for critique and maybe you can see what I mean. I just thought it was wrong filter choice when it could just be 'bad photography' I.e wrong setting/composition/camera shake etc.

Assuming it is a half decent filter the effect on IQ should be minimal and offset by the better colours and clarity - also when shooting water it can see into the water so to speak, rather than surface glare. Of course sometimes you may want the surface glare though ;)

having had a bad fall not long ago right on top of my D800 if it had not been for the lens hood and filter taking the damage I would have ruined my 24-70mm lens as well. So from an experience like this I would always put on a filter, even is it was a clear skylight type. As I only took one lens the rest of the holiday would have to have been taken with my camcorder

Wide angle photography is a crowded, busy environment like that is much harder than using a Tele. I don't think there's anything to choose quality wise between the images, and the only one with apparently increased saturation of the bluebells is the last image. Tweaking colour balance also has a very profound effect on relative appearance of BBs in a situation like this.

I keep meaning to test this out but maybe someone else already has. When you adjust a polariser you can clearly see the polarising effect increasing and decreasing as you rotate. At the point where it is having least effect, would it's presence be noticed vs. a shot with no CPL all together?

Back