Filters - just wondering

And there was me believing tone is in the fingers.:D

Very much so, but the right effects pedal in the right hands can enhance that tone. That's the point I was making; you already need to have the skill and ability, otherwise filters or effects pedals are just there to mask the shortcomings rather than truly enhancing things.

I think filters have become frowned upon by some people these days, probably due to stereotypical (over)use? However, used subtly by a good photographer I think ND, ND grads and polarisers can improve certain images rather than detract from them, but knowing when not to use them is the important part.

As for technique, tone and effects, I think I'll leave the last word to SRV.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5sqJNFFwqc

Mind you, no matter how good the tone (no matter how achieved) if the tune is crap nobody will listen too it. ;)

Can someone explain how a thread can end up hijacked and turned completely away from what the original op posted

Can someone explain how a thread can end up hijacked and turned completely away from what the original op posted

it's the nature of forums, and of the internet, and, to be honest, of the best conversations in pubs... people wander off topic a little, inspired or at least prompted by something mentioned in an earlier comment. I love how things develop like this and the ebb and flow of things... it's one of the joys of being human and in possession of an intellect that can allow thinking of more than one thing at once. Plus, there's only so much to be said about bits of coloured glass on the front of camera lenses after all...

Last edited:

The topic appeared exhausted, you were no longer participating and seemed to have gone off in a huff: this discussion was pertinent to the use of external aids to shape creativity.

Many of us are creative in multiple areas where we can draw parallels.

To me its called rude, start a thread don't mis use others
I'm not aware anyone has mis-used this thread. Have you actually read those posts, or did you perhaps see the window links and instantly jump to the conclusion that they were all going to be "completely" off topic?

I personally think the analogy someone made between guitar effects pedals and photographic filters was a good one. Do you not see the artistic similarity?

I wouldn't mind, but the outcome of the discussion actually supported the use of filters (in the right situation) rather than condemning them out of hand. If it had gone the other way I could understand you not appreciating it. Perhaps have a good read through them and see what you think? (y)

I'm not aware anyone has mis-used this thread. Have you actually read those posts, or did you perhaps see the window links and instantly jump to the conclusion that they were all going to be "completely" off topic?

I personally think the analogy someone made between guitar effects pedals and photographic filters was a good one. Do you not see the artistic similarity?

I wouldn't mind, but the outcome of the discussion actually supported the use of filters (in the right situation) rather than condemning them out of hand. If it had gone the other way I could understand you not appreciating it. Perhaps have a good read through them and see what you think? (y)

I think you may have missed this statement in the "other thread":

Also I don't see photography as art, I said "I DON'T" I never have and never will be artistic

I mentioned guitar pedals to expand the discussion as analogies can help people think outside the box. It wasn't a perfect anaology, but even so I reckon you should be thanking me. :ROFLMAO:

I've read a few of your threads and responses within them. And I've really been trying to keep your signature in mind. But, to me they come across as more arrogant than harsh/blunt. So allow me to be blunt...

I get that you have a long time of experience, you've worked for magazines, you're a working photographer... so what? You don't need to make posts telling me what you know, what you use, etc, etc, I don't really care.
There are more than a few here with at least equal credentials; we mostly participate here to help others improve and get to the same point. And if you do the same it will quickly become apparent what your credentials/knowledge actually mean... so far, I'm not impressed.

I accept the comment in your 'Signature', i.e.

"Please bear with me if I may sound harsh at times I am Autistic (aspergers) and may come over a little blunt, thanks"

Reading some of your posts I can see why you have put that in your 'Signature' and I understand, as I have regular contact with several people on the Autistic Spectrum ... however, do you not think that it would be appropriate for you to give others the benefit of the same courtesy?

I use polariser (CPL) where appropriate, for example interiors with reflective surfaces and some outdoors images (>>35mm). Very seldom a plain ND comes out to reduce exposure speed.

Everything else gets done in postprocessing and results in far greater control, latitude and resulting image quality. Plastic fantastic belongs in the dustbin of history.

I use polariser (CPL) where appropriate, for example interiors with reflective surfaces and some outdoors images (>>35mm). Very seldom a plain ND comes out to reduce exposure speed.

Everything else gets done in postprocessing and results in far greater control, latitude and resulting image quality. Plastic fantastic belongs in the dustbin of history.
This is possibly the only post we will be in 100% agreement on.

Whilst I subscribe to there being no 'right or wrong' if there's a topic where me and LLP agree - we're almost certainly correct :LOL:

you really don't GET forum's do you... let me explain.

YOU DON'T GET TO CONTROL WHAT PEOPLE WRITE, HOW PEOPLE REPLY OR THE DIRECTION THAT THE DISCUSSION GOES. If you don't like the direction the conversation is taking, then go find another conversation that's more to your taste. Just because you started it, doesn't mean you're important to it's continuation (or not) in any way. Once it's started, it's pretty much in the domain of the whole membership, and is only administered and controlled by the Staff and Owners of the forum.

Don't like this? Maybe forums in general, and this one specifically are really not for you.

Alternately, stop lecturing people about how good you are and how wrong everyone else is, chill out, maybe even post some pictures so we can see how good you are...

At the moment, the choice is yours... continue your current behaviour pattern and the choice may be taken out of your hands.

This is possibly the only post we will be in 100% agreement on.

Whilst I subscribe to there being no 'right or wrong' if there's a topic where me and LLP agree - we're almost certainly correct :LOL:
Here you obviosly also are wrong :LOL:

Back