Filter's Yes/No

Name
Denis
Edit My Images
Yes
Quick question, my new Tamron 150-600mm takes a 95mm filter, because of the size thinking of getting a filter to protect it.
I see so many conflicting reports, never use them/always use them?
Then there from £18 to over £200:eek:
Looking at a Polaroid for £25, what's your thoughts please :)

I'm sure the quality will match the £25 price tag...

Personally I wouldn't bother, and just use a lens hood when in use, and ensure the cap is attached when in transit.

Reactions: RIR
There are millions of threads on this so you can search for opinions, personally I never bother (although do use filters for creative reasons)

If you do decide you want a filter then something that you really should take into account is that the longer the lens the better the filter needs to be (as it magnifies imperfections in the filter). Basically don't buy a cheap one.

My thinking is. Why pay a fortune for an expensive lens and then put something optically inferior in front of it? If you don't need a filter, don't use one.

Yes when you need one.
No when you don't.

See threads ad nauseum on the when to and when not to debates.

My thinking is. Why pay a fortune for an expensive lens and then put something optically inferior in front of it? If you don't need a filter, don't use one.

An awful lot can go on on the front of a lens without noticeably degrading image quality and in my years of using lenses with filters on them I could probably count the issues I had on the fingers of one hand the only obvious issue being when shooting with bright light sources in the frame but you can always take the filter off in these situations.

Quick question, my new Tamron 150-600mm takes a 95mm filter, because of the size thinking of getting a filter to protect it.
I see so many conflicting reports, never use them/always use them?
Then there from £18 to over £200:eek:
Looking at a Polaroid for £25, what's your thoughts please :)

I think it's maybe worth investing in one but being selective about when you use it. I believe some lenses aren't actually weather sealed until you fit a filter but apart from that they can offer some protection in adverse conditions such as dusty, dirty or sandy conditions and when people are likely to spill beer or worse (think bodily fluids) on you and your kit. That happens, it's happened to me :D I've used my cameras in conditions others wouldn't take theirs out of the bag.

Filters on 600mm or in fact anything over 2-300mm is a very very bad idea. The way it can degrade sharpness on teles is so spectacular you can even see it nakedly through the VF.

Reactions: 4wd
No from me, for the reasons others have stated

I've got the same lens... And it's a no

The lens hood protects it very well indeed, I always keep the hood on, store it standing on the hood, and when I put the camera down with it attached I put it down on the hood... if you worried about dirt/dust then use put the lens cap back on

I never use any filters on any lens unless it does something for the image

Though if I was shooting in bad conditions I would consider it

Back