Filters....

Edit My Images
No
A few people have mentioned that I will need a few filters for going to Vegas. Had a look but don't know where to start....

Main problem is that my lens have different filter sizes. So instead of buying the same filter for the different sizes. I have been looking at the square filters and just getting an adaptor for each size.

Don't have loads to spend, just looking for something that preforms well, and not to expensive. Any kits I can by or am I better just buying everything by it's self?

depends what your wanting to achieve really? landscape? low light? street? nightlife?

A few people have mentioned that I will need a few filters for going to Vegas. Had a look but don't know where to start....

Main problem is that my lens have different filter sizes. So instead of buying the same filter for the different sizes. I have been looking at the square filters and just getting an adaptor for each size.

Don't have loads to spend, just looking for something that preforms well, and not to expensive. Any kits I can by or am I better just buying everything by it's self?

Most of the manufacturers do kits. Cokin are probably the cheapest you want to go. HiTech are better quality for a modest amount more money. Lee are the money-no-object option. All do kits.

As mentioned, you'll need to have an idea of what you want them for to decide what kit. If you're shooting B+W film, your decision will be vastly different than if you're shooting colour digital.

P.s. filters are more and more becoming a 'lifestyle choice'. The majority of filters can be reproduced by working a RAW file in PP, or by combining exposures. Decide whether you're a slow-and-methodical perfectionist, or a Lightroom tinkerer. If you're the latter, I doubt filters are particularly necessary.

Thanks guys.

Well to be honest am looking for filters that do a bit of everything that was mentioned :LOL:

Looking for a ND filter to help with longer exposures in the sun/light. And a polarizing filter to help with the sun.

Have tried messing about with lightroom in the past with adding filters etc and not really got the results I wanted. So I think it's time to start looking in to filters. :)

Thanks guys.

Well to be honest am looking for filters that do a bit of everything that was mentioned :LOL:

Looking for a ND filter to help with longer exposures in the sun/light. And a polarizing filter to help with the sun.

Have tried messing about with lightroom in the past with adding filters etc and not really got the results I wanted. So I think it's time to start looking in to filters. :)

ND and CPL filters are two that definitely can't be reproduced in PP!

Cokin NDs are fine if you don't stack them (colour cast), and HiTech make compatible filters if you want a 10-stop, for example.

Systems come into their own when using graduated filters in landscapes. For walk-around photography, I'd still recommend screw-ins.

Last edited:
Thanks.

Have looked into it a bit more and looks like you can get a screw in filter adapter. So I could just by 77mm filters and get an adapter so they will also fit me 52mm lens?

This seems like the best/easiest way to go about it? Any down sides to doing it this way? :thinking:

Thanks.

Have looked into it a bit more and looks like you can get a screw in filter adapter. So I could just by 77mm filters and get an adapter so they will also fit me 52mm lens?

This seems like the best/easiest way to go about it? Any down sides to doing it this way? :thinking:

If you want to use a 10 stop with other filters, it may be worth looking at square filters. The cokins mentioned above, as well as hitech and lee filters are square.

You will need an adapter for each lens, (assuming each lens is a different filter size) and a filter holder. I have just purchased my first filter (a lee 10 stop) but haven't yet gone out to use it...

You could do what I did and just get some cheap filter of eBay to try out and experiment with before spending the big money on good filter.

I'm still new to photograph and want to try different things to see what I like but with buck all money.
So Iv been getting different like nd, micro lens, colour and grad filter ect for cheap on eBay to try them out.
They are ok to experiment with dont compare to the real deal.

I've been looking at nd filters lately and considered a cheapo eBay set but after reading reviews about magenta color casts I've decided against them!

The kood filters on premier ink are worth a look, just over £40 a set and get excellent reviews.

Hitech and Lee are expensive for a beginner IMO!

For a 10 stop I'd look into the Haida pro ii on eBay

Thanks for all the advice guys.

Think am just going to go for screw in filters. Because I doubt I would ever use graduated ND filters as I can do most/all of those affects using light room.

BUT....

Are there any down sides to getting a 77mm filter (biggest lens) and use something like this :

http://www.amazon.co.uk/52mm-TO-77mm-STEP-RING/dp/B001OBR17E/ref=pd_sim_sbs_ce_2

to get it to fit on my smallest lens and get other adaptors for for the other sizes as well

Lots of people use step downs, and just use the biggest filter size that they have overall - pretty common.

The only thing is that they can sometimes interfere or completely block using a lens hood.

Lots of people use step downs, and just use the biggest filter size that they have overall - pretty common.

The only thing is that they can sometimes interfere or completely block using a lens hood.

Do you really need a lens hood when using filters? Because cant see how you could use a lens hood with the slide in filters? :thinking:

Back