filters

Edit My Images
No
looking to buy my first set of filters
would like some advice of what to buy lee are out of the equation because of price
dont want a colour cast either.
so what do i buy ??

What system are you using? By which I mean crop or full frame. Also whats your widest lens?

From my experience, I've used Kood, and whilst cheap, I've never had any issue with colour casts. Generic brand holder also. It was bought on a budget mind you, so I accepted that there might be casts using these but turned out alright. Switching to 100mm however as I'll be switching to FF in march.

Just as last reply above. What size you will need to be building up? Are the prices within that range reasonable for you?

I personally only had experience with Cokin as a slide-in square filters for creative options, and just used whatever circular filters that came with my lenses when I bought stuff second hand. Not been bothered about anything, but since you guys are talking about colour-cast, do I understand you are talking about ND filters specifically?

i shoot with d700 ff d7100 crop three nikon lens are all 77mm dia
im after grad filters for landscape mainly

If you have 77mm filter Nikon glass this suggests good glass, so why would you consider putting cheap filters in front of them? You don't have to buy a full set off anything, get the Lee digital starter.

What system are you using? By which I mean crop or full frame. Also whats your widest lens?

From my experience, I've used Kood, and whilst cheap, I've never had any issue with colour casts. Generic brand holder also. It was bought on a budget mind you, so I accepted that there might be casts using these but turned out alright. Switching to 100mm however as I'll be switching to FF in march.
What makes you think you need to change filter size because of FF? The only reason for large filters is large diameter or UWA lenses. It has nothing to do with sensor size.
I use kood grads and hitech firecrest for my ND's. No issues with the holder.

What makes you think you need to change filter size because of FF? The only reason for large filters is large diameter or UWA lenses. It has nothing to do with sensor size.
I use kood grads and hitech firecrest for my ND's. No issues with the holder.

You answered that question for yourself. Shooting at 24mm on a borrowed 6D at the time I got the edges of the filter holder(P-size holder). Hence the the only logical reason, up the size of filters to Z -size 100mm.

I think you've maybe thought I was referencing screw on filters? Like CPL's?

I can't see the OP specifies this, Hoppy?

Naturally I'd have recommended Lee filters had this been the case.

It's a fairly safe assumption. Hoya don't make grads either, and OP rules out Lee on cost.

You answered that question for yourself. Shooting at 24mm on a borrowed 6D at the time I got the edges of the filter holder(P-size holder). Hence the the only logical reason, up the size of filters to Z -size 100mm.

I think you've maybe thought I was referencing screw on filters? Like CPL's?

Dunno if you tried it but Cokin do a "Slimline" P holder. Mine works with my A7 and 24mm and as far as I remember it worked at about 20mm on my 5D and 12-24mm, was deffo OK with my Sigma 20mm f1.8.

Last edited:
Hoya graduated ND filter.

http://www.premier-ink.co.uk/photog...ogle-simple&gclid=CN_7z-30h8UCFevItAodehMAjQ&

I still see no where that the OP specifies slot in grads. *confused*

I bought Lee because they are the only ones, according to the reviews I read, that come close to having no colour cast.

Well researched Jenny, but you're not being very helpful. The OP wants a cheaper alternative to Lee. Are you recommending that filter? It's got to be the weirdest grad ever, the only grad Hoya makes, and costs more than Lee in 77mm (even reduced from its RRP of £300!).

Dunno if you tried it but Cokin do a "Slimline" P holder. Mine works with my A7 and 24mm and as far as I remember it worked at about 20mm on my 5D and 12-24mm, was deffo OK with my Sigma 20mm f1.8.
I was looking at slim line holders when I seen a cheapish z filter holder. The ring is odd as I can attach a cpl to it and still 2/3 filters, meaning I don't need the added expense of a larger cpl and adapters for landscapes.

I was looking at slim line holders when I seen a cheapish z filter holder. The ring is odd as I can attach a cpl to it and still 2/3 filters, meaning I don't need the added expense of a larger cpl and adapters for landscapes.
You will need a larger CPL. If you are having issues with the lens seeing the holder it will definately see a 77mm CPL. You need a 105mm CPL if you are stacking multiple filters.

Well researched Jenny, but you're not being very helpful. The OP wants a cheaper alternative to Lee. Are you recommending that filter? It's got to be the weirdest grad ever, the only grad Hoya makes, and costs more than Lee in 77mm (even reduced from its RRP of £300!).

I am saying that there is no system other than Lee if the OP wants to avoid colour casts. That was the helpful bit. Not sure what you think is weird about the Hoya filter?

I am saying that there is no system other than Lee if the OP wants to avoid colour casts. That was the helpful bit. Not sure what you think is weird about the Hoya filter?

It's weird because it's not clear at the bottom - 3-stops at the top and 1-stop below. It's effectively a 2-stops grad with a very soft transition, but unhelpfully it loses you a stop of overall exposure along the way. I'm guessing this limitation is imposed by the very unusual production process, though I'd also guess that it's very neutral too.

Lol, this isn't true - of course Lee do not have the monopoly on colour cast free filters. But it is true that quality doesn't come cheap.

You will need a larger CPL. If you are having issues with the lens seeing the holder it will definately see a 77mm CPL. You need a 105mm CPL if you are stacking multiple filters.
So let me get this straight...my 24-70, with a lens thread of 77mm, wil l show cast from a 77mm CPL at 24mm? Is that what you're saying?

Firstly, The P filter was in my image due to the depth of the actual thing. At 24mm of a 35mm format sensor, the angle of view is 84°, Meaning that around 1-1.5 cm off the lens, Items could crop the image. Upgrading to a Lee size 100mm filter system, I removed this element from my shots. Meaning I can shoot wide without any issue.

I can certainly attach a 105mm CPL to the front of my filter, However that would defeat the purpose of the filter system I have, Which allows me to attach a CPL to the mounting ring, preventing any additional crop. I have a Hoya Pro-1, Which itself is fairly slim. I have also conducted an experiment to see how many screw on filters I can use until I see cast. But only having a UV and a CPL I was stuck at two, and still did not have an issue with cropping on my images using the 100mm filter holder.

So despite what you say, I would certainly not need a 105mm CPL if I was stacking filters. Screw on and ND grads.

Last edited:
So let me get this straight...my 24-70, with a lens thread of 77mm, wil l show cast from a 77mm CPL at 24mm? Is that what you're saying?

Firstly, The P filter was in my image due to the depth of the actual thing. At 24mm of a 35mm format sensor, the angle of view is 84°, Meaning that around 1-1.5 cm off the lens, Items could crop the image. Upgrading to a Lee size 100mm filter system, I removed this element from my shots. Meaning I can shoot wide without any issue.

I can certainly attach a 105mm CPL to the front of my filter, However that would defeat the purpose of the filter system I have, Which allows me to attach a CPL to the mounting ring, preventing any additional crop. I have a Hoya Pro-1, Which itself is fairly slim. I have also conducted an experiment to see how many screw on filters I can use until I see cast. But only having a UV and a CPL I was stuck at two, and still did not have an issue with cropping on my images using the 100mm filter holder.

So despite what you say, I would certainly not need a 105mm CPL if I was stacking filters. Screw on and ND grads.

Hi John, I think you might be confusing colour casting with vignetting. I very rarely use my screw in filter which is variable ND rather than graduated, it's just an easy item to stick in the bag and it's great when I want more options on DOF. For landscape work I use the Lee system with a range of their graduated and standard ND filters, including the awesome Big Stopper.

This is not what the OP asked for, but it's a handy item to have :-

http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-hama-vario-neutral-density-filter-nd2-400-77mm/p1527933

It is a while since I did my research on all of the filter systems. I was trying to remember the Hitech brand. Cokin I have read many times have colour cast issues, Hitech are supposed to be better - as the price would reflect.

I found this article on ND filters which I hope will be of help:-

Best Graduated Neutral Density Filters: 6 models tested and rated

http://www.digitalcameraworld.com/2...al-density-filters-6-models-tested-and-rated/

My own set includes the 0.6 and 0.9 soft graduated and the 0.6 hard graduated. The soft graduated get used a lot more. The nice thing about the Lee system, and probably others, is that filters can be stacked. I also use the B+W 105mm Kaesemann Circular Polarizer which is added to the front of the Lee filter holder, so it can be stacked with the other filters.

My camera is full frame and I do experience minor vignetting with the CPL when using my 17-40L lens at its widest, but I've not had vignetting from the Lee filters.

Last edited:

The problem with having your CPL on the lens is that you need to rotate it for the desired level of polarisation. Then adding in filters over the top makes it very difficult to position them without moving you CPL that's why to do it properly the CPL should be last in the chain of filters to eliminate that problem and yes you will suffer from vignette get if you use a 77mm.

Hi Jenny,

I'll be honest, I was lost for words when writing. I did in fact mean vignetting.

No probs, I thought that might have been the case. Did you find what you are looking for?

It's worth looking at all of the options available regardless of price so that you get to know what you might be missing from lower priced products.

Last edited:
The problem with having your CPL on the lens is that you need to rotate it for the desired level of polarisation. Then adding in filters over the top makes it very difficult to position them without moving you CPL that's why to do it properly the CPL should be last in the chain of filters to eliminate that problem and yes you will suffer from vignette get if you use a 77mm.

Adapter ring goes on first, THEN my 77mm CPL. Then the actual filter holder goes on. I can still rotate the CPL and the Filters independently. I have a non brand filter holder as I was in quick need of one. And again, as previously stated, I've been shooting like this, at 24mm for weeks, and yet to experience vignetting at 24mm. Which happens to be my widest lens. But you've obviously got to be correct, despite me being knowning and using my own equipment.

Adapter ring goes on first, THEN my 77mm CPL. Then the actual filter holder goes on. I can still rotate the CPL and the Filters independently. I have a non brand filter holder as I was in quick need of one. And again, as previously stated, I've been shooting like this, at 24mm for weeks, and yet to experience vignetting at 24mm. Which happens to be my widest lens. But you've obviously got to be correct, despite me being knowning and using my own equipment.
Why the attitude? I was just trying to help you out. I thought receiving advice from a professional would be of use to you. If you know it all why ask for advice in the first place? Just realised you're not the op and didn't ask for advice. I apologise

Last edited:
What a waste of time on this thread. This is resurrected from early January. OP long gone.

Back