filters

digitalfailure

Staff Bog Cleaner 2015
Name
Brian
Edit My Images
Yes
Come on then, what filters are in your bag?

And which ones do you use the most?

I have a UV filter on each of my lenses, but they don't really count as they are more of a protection device.

then I have a circ pol which will fit my 77mm lenses and a cokin P holder although i currently only use a 120 gradual grey in it.

so......what you got?

at the moment, just 3 x circ Polarisers (52mm, 58mm and 67mm) and 3x UV, although i hope to get some ND grads soon, and also some colour filters for my black and white film

Lee ND Grads 0.3, 0.6, 0.9, soft and Hard.

Lee ND 6.

Lee 100 x 100 Square Circular Pol.

105 mm Heliopan slim circular pol.

B+W 77mm Pol.

P-E said:
Lee ND Grads 0.3, 0.6, 0.9, soft and Hard.

Lee ND 6.

Lee 100 x 100 Square Circular Pol.

105 mm Heliopan slim circular pol.

B+W 77mm Pol.

:eek: :eek:

I know people who drive cars costing less than that set :LOL:

circ pol in 2 sizes, uv filters, come cokin A series filters(nd grad and some tints) and an ND4 grad screw on filter

UV filters on each lens and prob going to get some circ polarisers soon

can i have them both on at the same time?

One HAMA cp that I don't use cos it's tosh. One set of Kood close-up filters, again, tosh. 2 Hoya HMC UV filters. on all the time.

Wanted: Decent set of ND grads, ND, CP, IR. All preferably Lee or Singh Ray. B&W at a push.

In 2 months time I get access to some money put into an isa for me. Guess what I'm off to buy :D :)

I only have one filter

77mm Hoya Pro1 circular polarizer

Out of all the ND grads, which one do you find you use more?

I'm a mere peasant, so won't be buying Lee's :eek: so cokin will have to do, i'm thinking i'd get the most use from something in the middle.....say an ND4

digitalfailure said:

I seem to use a 0.9 H.

ppp said:
UV filters on each lens and prob going to get some circ polarisers soon can i have them both on at the same time?

I have used a UV filter and a circ pol together (not sure if its recommended :shrug: )......just make sure the UV filter has a front thread.

Skylight (or is it UV, cant remember), that I got to protect my Sigma, but prefer to shoot naked (cant afford the 1 stop the filter steals :D)

Circl Pol which has recently been given a good dusting off and a proper airing :D

Next on my list is probably the cokin system (P is the one to get, right?), with maybe an ND grad or two, and maybe something else.

77mm Hoya HMC Pro1 Circ Pol
77mm Jessops Circ Pol

77mm Hoya UV
77mm Jessops Skylight 1A

I only seem to have 77mm threaded lenses now

58mm cp
58mm uv
58mm nd4
58mm star
58mm sepia

cokin A
nd grad full a121F
nd grad 121L
close up 4
sunset 124
warm up 028
spot incolour2 071
nd 2
nd 4
Gel holder

cokin p
ir oo7 (89b)
nd grad 121s
kood pro cp

I have dozens of the little buggers sat in a drawer, mixture of cokin & lee mostly but the only one I ever seem to use or even carry now if I'm shooting digital is the polariser.

Can't stand anything that screws into the lens through. Far too fidly when you need to make a quick change, especially if it's really cold & you can't feel your fingers.

I bought a Jessops 'finest optical quality' ;) Ultra Violet filter when I first got my cam, havent used it yet though and Im not sure Im going to bother with it!
So as a complete noob to all this, where can I get an education on Filters?
Anyone recommend Books/threads/sites?

dazzajl said:
I have dozens of the little buggers sat in a drawer, mixture of cokin & lee mostly but the only one I ever seem to use or even carry now if I'm shooting digital is the polariser.

Can't stand anything that screws into the lens through. Far too fidly when you need to make a quick change, especially if it's really cold & you can't feel your fingers.

do they need a home? ;)

digitalfailure said:

I'm a mere peasant, so won't be buying Lee's :eek: so cokin will have to do, i'm thinking i'd get the most use from something in the middle.....say an ND4

0.9 (3 stop) is used most by me too.

Let me think now, off the top of my head...

Hoya Pro1 skylight filter on each lens except for the X-Pan which has the special ND centre thingy.

Hoya HMC red,
B+W 091 dark red (IR),
B+W MRC 81B,
B+W MRC linear polariser,

and a Hoya HMC orange filter for my FM3A.

Glo, it's worth getting that filter on your lens now tbh.

it's cheaper to replace a scratched filter than it is to change a complete scratch lens.

IanC_UK said:
Hmmm as i understand it the Skylight/UV filter doesnt take anything stop wise ? its clear ! lol

Oooh good point :p

I'm gonna have to take it out of mybag now to check which it is :D

It's also worth checking you sharpness with and without the filter, Anton Roland found out recently his was adding a noticable amount of fuzzyness to his shots.

:)

SammyC said:
It's also worth checking you sharpness with and without the filter, Anton Roland found out recently his was adding a noticable amount of fuzzyness to his shots.

:)

Yes folks
Will gladly make a big hoo ha about the offending bad uv but don't know if this will be deemed right or nice:shrug:
I have found the bad uv to add a considerable amount of colour loss in shaded areas too

Shall I post the two final shots so you folks can see for yourself???:thinking:

Please, if you wouldn't mind old bean. :D

The multi coatings on modern quality lenses aren't just there to look pretty. They're applied to the surfaces of every element of the lens - even the ones which are cemented together. They reduce light diffraction and scatter within the lens to the extent that coated lenses can actually transmit over 80% more light than uncoated ones. The reason top end filters cost so damned much is that they're top quality optical glass, matching the quality of the lens, and they have similar multi coatings applied.

Sticking a cheapo filter in front of a quality lens is bound to severely reduce colour rendition and contrast. That said, there are environments where you'd be foolhardy to risk exposing the lens front element, but for normal usage I rarely use protection filters, prefering to use the lens hood to protect against accidental knocks, and the lens hood will actually do something to increase the quality of your shots.

CT ... are all these dramatic blue skies on landscape shots down to filters?
I need to do some serious reading up!

DF... I owe you a short, sharp smack across the butt! :naughty:
I went to the Confetti fields in Pershore yesterday and used my cheapo Jessops filter ... Ive not got one pic worthy of showing to next doors cat (well thats my excuse anyway!!!)

Here we go folks
Marcel:Have a good look in top left
MG_6568_tp.jpg

Now without the uv

MG_6569_tp.jpg

CT I agree with everything you say,it was simply a steep learning curve.
I suppose I never had such a good look at film photos:thinking:
I fit a UV first thing as soon as a new lens comes out of the box.
NEVER AGAIN ARMSUN THOUGH:bang:

Only prob here is that my 350D and 17-85 is about to become a trip camera any day now and wouldn't want to fork out 20 quid on something that is not going to work every day:LOL:

Those nice HOYA filters will have to go on the next (L) LENS:clap: (y)

InaGlo said:

Mostly Polarizer I'd say.Do note that the best effect with a CP (circular polarizer) is to be had when shooting 90 degrees across sunlight.If you shoot with or into sunlight you will not get the best effect and wonder why you bought it at all:LOL: :thinking:

InaGlo said:

LOL Those dramatic blue skies are down to the use of a polarising filter Gloria. A polariser is just about the only 'must have' filter you really need these days IMHO, with the possible exception of neutral density grad filters, which the landscape people will usually need, although so much can be done in processing now.

The multi coatings on a modern lens include a coating for UV anyway, so your UV flter is achieving nothing except lens protection. :)

EDIT..

Just be aware that even with a 1 series body and a weather proof lens, Canon do recommend a filter to complete the proofing in the wet to be sure no water gets past that front lens element.

for my 50mm 1.8 I have:

52mm Orange filter
52mm Warmtone filter
52mm Diffuser
52mm Cross screen filter

for the 70-300 I have:

58mm Hoya Super HMC Pro1 multicoated UV filter

For the 17-85 I have:

67mm Hoya HMC UV filter
67mm Circ Polariser

Back