finally, close to getting a medium format RF

Name
Ujjwal
Edit My Images
No
Sold a watch from the collection - hopefully the cash will be with me over the weekend

So I am that much closer to getting a RF medium format.

Narrowed it down to either a Mamiya 6; or a Bronica 645 RF.

Any suggestions on which one to go for

I choose Mamiya 6.

I chose Mamiya 6

Where abouts are you? If you're anywhere close to mr I can show you the mamiya 6 and let you have a play to make an informed choice. For me it has to be the 6 if you can afford it, it's the best of the MF RFs without a doubt, if you can find/afford one (or 2, gotta have one for colour and one for mono :D)

Hi Chris

Thanks so much; I would loved to do that. I live near Reading and work in London; so Nottingham would be kind of far away.

I would really like to have a quick chat on the phone about what I should look for in a used Mamiya 6 when buying from a private sale; and why you prefer Mamiya6.

Will that be possible, please

Ujjwal

has anyone used fuji Gs 645 zi? How does it feel. From the reviews; it seems to be somewhat similar in handling to Contax G1? Any real downside to this camera?

I chose Mamiya 6 too and it's fantastic, but am thinking of selling it because I dont use it enough to justify the shelf space so it'll be on the classifieds board soon (when I can take some pics of it :) )

mike

mike...I have not handled any of these 3 cameras - fuji, Bronica 645 Rf and Mamiya 6, so cant make up my mind. What, in your mind, sets Mamiya apart from the others? ( assuming I am ok with either of the 2 formats). Featurewise - the Mamiya and Bronica seems to be pretty close.

I didnt try either of the others, to be honest mate!

I really liked the feel of the mamiya and the online reviews were fantastic, so when I found someone selling a body and a couple of lenses, I went for it.... havent regretted it either!

The Bronica is 645, that is the only reason I don't have one.
The 6 is a bigger camera with a bigger neg, the Bronica and the Mamiya are pretty close, the deal breaker is, one is 645 and the other is 6x6....that's it.

If I could afford both, I'd av em, but the 645 would have a walk on non speaking part........probably

A massive 6x9 negative! :)

The Fuji 690 is a massive camera. I was going to buy one once then I saw one in a shop window. It's similar to a cornflakes box with a lens on the front!

Perhaps I am exaggerating but it makes sense to handle one first.

At the time I was looking for a lightweight medium format camera to take on walks and the Fuji and the Bronica 645 were on my list...... Somehow, I ended up with an RB67 instead!

Steve.

I've just borrowed a Fuji GSW690 think MKI and I think it is great, it will be bigger than the Mamiya but it is light weight and very easy to handle plus it produces Big negs.

Hi Chris

Thanks so much; I would loved to do that. I live near Reading and work in London; so Nottingham would be kind of far away.

I would really like to have a quick chat on the phone about what I should look for in a used Mamiya 6 when buying from a private sale; and why you prefer Mamiya6.

Will that be possible, please

Ujjwal

Sorry dude, missed this.

TBH I'm not sure a phone call would be much help, without the thing in your hands its pretty hard to get across the greatness of the camera.

Re things to watch out for, check there are no funny noises or wobbles in the film advance mechanism, this is usually the thing that goes wrong that kills Mamiya 6s. One of mine has a problem where the lens doesn't lock in the recessed position, but generally its then in a bag so it doesn't matter.
The rest of it is standard stuff, make sure the meter works properly, check the RF alignement against something of known distance, check the pressure plate for wear marks as it means the camera is well used, and as ever cosmetics only matter if you're into tht sort of thing, but possibly give a clue to how hard the camera has been used.

It's a great machine and I hate that I dont use mine more

Thanks MisterE. What are the advantages of 690 over GS 645?

As said - the size of the neg. I have a 690 II. The lens is outstanding.

As for the size, it's just under 7 and 1/2 ins wide, 4 and 1/2 ins high, and 5ins front to back. It's big but not that big. I still manage to put it in my bag along with my dslr x2 and videocamera and take it around the world. The Velvias produced from it make it worth it. If you get a 645 you'll be forever thinking "now what if this neg was twice as big?". Maybe......

And, now, got it.

A Mamiya 6, in good condition, with a 75 mm lens.

Hope the rest of the week get sunshine like today

Thanks everyone for their input and help

Ujjwal

If you don't mind me asking, how much did it cost you, and where did you find it?

Raathistle; I will drop you a mail.

The problem I have with quoting an open price is; as you are more aware than me, prices of such pieces are very much dependent on the condition and the cosmetics. Also the ease and reliability of purchase; and the desperation of the seller.

By putting a price here, I might be queering the pitch for other sellers on the forum, which I dont think is fair.

ujj can you drop me a line about price too please? Ive got a bronica sq-am which is awesome but bit big to lug about all the time and ive started looking at something a bit more compact

Back