Finally decided on who I am...

Name
Mark Haywood
Edit My Images
No
I apologize in advance if nobody else can identify with my "saga".

I've been a member here at Talk Photography for some time now, but having lost interest in photography some time ago I've posted infrequently. Recently, I've found that I've got my mojo back, bought a Nikon 35mm and started taking a few family shots with the old D90 - yep, I'm gonna get back into this photography mulllarky! So I started pulling out all my old gear. To my surprise I discovered I've got more lenses than I need... Indeed, I've got a few too many cameras than strictly necessary - the D90, a D80, Samsung Nx100 and a Fuji X-S1. I clearly had (have) a case of G.A.S.

I started dreaming of a Nikon D7000/7100 so that I could use my Falcon 85mm f1.4 lens to it's full potential and almost pulled the trigger on a brand new grey market D7000 for £300.00, but after reading about concerns over back focusing issues I decided against that camera, at least buying an imported model. The D7100 proved to be a little too expensive, so I started thinking about the D5300. But that would mean giving up on the 85mm f1.4, Sigma 70mm macro, 50mm f1.8 , Nikon 70-300mm and a Sigma 18-50mm f2.8 as there are no motors built into those lenses...

So, I started thinking why not sell the whole lot and start again? Which is about the time I realized that I preferred the size/handing of the Samsung NX100 over the Nikon and Fuji cameras. In fact, why not just keep the NX100 and buy another lens or two? Did I mention G.A.S.? Having read a few (!) reviews. I came to the conclusion that things had moved onward and upwards - high iso in particular had improved quite significantly. Even the Olympus cameras appeared to have virtually caught up. I'd eyed up my sister's boyfriend's Fuji X-Pro1 and started drooling over an X-E1 or X-M1 with a couple of lenses from the Fuji refurb site. I almost pulled the trigger, but started having second thoughts when I noticed just how expensive, relatively speaking, some of the desirable Fuji lenses can be. Then I became aware of the Olympus OMD E-M5. And, after again being so close to pulling the trigger on either a brand new E-M5 for £300.00 or a secondhand one plus a 12-50mm lens for £395.00 I started to become aware that the search for a camera system was, perhaps, just as much fun as the thought of actually taking photos...

And then I finally made up my mind. K.I.S.S. I really like the Samsung NX 30mm f2.0, so I bought a secondhand Samsung NX2000 body to go with it. Image quality impresses me, but with so few buttons and having to rely on the touch screen for changing settings takes some getting used to. So I bought a secondhand NX300 along with an 18-55mm lens, which should be delivered later this week.

And that's me done. I've finally accepted that I'm merely a photography "hobbyist" for want of a better description. I want loads of gear, for what amounts to being all the wrong reasons. I'll never be more than a casual photographer and compact system cameras do more than enough for me. Time to sell off all that accumulated gear and get back to the basics of enjoying the outdoors, taking a few snaps and living life in the real world.

And if the Samsung system doesn't work out I can always get that Olympus OMD...

The Fujis are nicer!!!

I spotted an old photographer friend at a local event. No chance to speak, but I noted he was using a small compact camera with built in lens, no exchangeable lens. That surprised me, since the last time we'd met he was wearing two DSLRs and a bag full of lenses. I later met his wife and asked whether he'd given up on the big heavy DSLRs. "Oh no," she said. "It's just that now he's bought all the lenses for his DSLRs he's moved on into collecting new cameras."

It seems there are stages in the development of GAS...

You don't have to own a lot of expensive gear in order to enjoy photography and make attractive images. The markets and their sponsored media drive us to buy more gear than we really need. If someone has a lot of dough and really feels the need to part with it, then fair enough, but in terms of both production and enjoyment, you may find that you get a poor return for your money. Some schools of photography benefit from financial investment more than others.

People probably get fed up with me raising this, but I've had great fun in recent years using a 35mm compact camera that I paid 50p for at a car boot sale. I made it into a project to see what I could do with it, and to make this Flickr Album. I've also used expired disposable cameras, even cross processing them in b/w chems to make film photography ultra cheap. The 50p camera is still going. I nearly always have it in a pocket.

Think about that getting back to basics idea.

Loving my x100s for everything except wildlife, I have a cheap 550d and a 400/5.6 permanently attached for that. Not simple simple, and still quite a cash investment, but I see it as two tools for two purposes. I never grab both, neither kit crosses roles with the other, never faced with choice. I've not looked at the WEx website for a while, so I must feel more settled in my kit choices!!

Think about that getting back to basics idea.

XA2inmypocket's suggestion really hit home with me - got me thinking about photography and what I want to do with this hobby. I bought the Samsung NX300 off a guy on Ebay, but after a somewhat less than accurate description, the camera is on its way back to the seller.

I used to own a Fuji S5, which despite being somewhat "quirky", I loved and really enjoyed using with the Falcon f1.4. This lens doesn't meter with the Nikon D90, so I've abandoned the idea of buying any further mirrorless camera and have gone for a D300. Now I can get back to enjoying myself with the few lenses that I really like using. I know it's a bit of a beast, but for the time being I will keep the Samsung NX2000 for those times I want to travel light, and use the D300 for when I'm really in the mood!

The Nikon D90, Fuji X-S1 and superfluous lenses will be sold on.

Thanks all. :)

Similar story here Mark, not as bad as my Hubby with 3 systems, I just have/had Nikon DX and FX systems. Now finding that they are just too big and heavy for me now so starting to migrate to a plan of a Fuji XT-1 and two zooms. The IQ should be more than good enough for what I need now and I will not need an osteopath appointment after each shoot!

No.. That's only four. Once it gets to around fifty, you will know you have a problem!

Steve.

Wow! Like my uncle is so fond of saying, "Everything's relative, even your relatives!" My name is Mark and I have a problem...
Similar story here Mark, not as bad as my Hubby with 3 systems, I just have/had Nikon DX and FX systems. Now finding that they are just too big and heavy for me now so starting to migrate to a plan of a Fuji XT-1 and two zooms.
Hey Donna.

Having played with the Samsung NX2000 I'm sure you will be more than happy with that Fuji!

The IQ should be more than good enough for what I need now and I will not need an osteopath appointment after each shoot!

Thanks for passing that problem on, Donna - now I've got to find a good osteopath too, have I?! :)

[/QUOTE]

Hey Donna.

Having played with the Samsung NX2000 I'm sure you will be more than happy with that Fuji!

Thanks for passing that problem on, Donna - now I've got to find a good osteopath too, have I?! :)
I hope not. I used to carry 35mm and large format systems in my 20s, had a 500mm on the end of that D300 for a couple of years but age and arthritis is now taking its toll. I'm sure you will be fine.

I've undergone a huge period of change this last year, reevaluating my priorities. It finally dawned on me...

I'm an opportunist. Insofar as I love taking photos but I don't make it the sole purpose of anything I do. I'll grab the camera for many outings that might provide photographic interest, but I'll not go out of my way to make the shot over all else.

Wildlife is slightly different, the 400mm/550d is often purposed, but not really that different to the spotting scopes used by others.

So, is that heresy? I don't think so. It still mandates a good camera, still requires a knowledge of light, aperture, ISO/ASA etc. I still go for the interesting shots I see, and I see interesting shots all around me. Photography has taught me to appreciate good light, shape, form, composition.. And I see that regardless of whether I have a the camera with me or not.

It just means I don't need a 5DIII and a 1kg lens to pack around for grab shots. Once I figured that out, my GAS disappeared!

Great write up Sigismund. I can definitely relate to this as I am sure many others do.

I like the idea of having the latest and best equipment and lots of 'extras' to cope with any situation but in reality, I am just a hobbyist photographer and don't really need this. After all, it is not my job and I don't make any money/return from the having the best/most expensive equipment.

I have even contemplated that my phone camera is probably all I need but I think that is a step too far - surely my DSLR is way superior in the photo quality department ?

Problem is, I live in denial and it is very hard to curb this addiction, but I am working on it ;)

It just means I don't need a 5DIII and a 1kg lens to pack around for grab shots. Once I figured that out, my GAS disappeared!

Same here!! I've sold a lot of my Canon gear off - I'm just left with a 5D2 & 135L which I haven't used since I bought an A7 -I used to mainly shoot manual glass on the Canon anyway. My current & hopefully foreseeable future kit is the A7, Voigtlander 40/1.4 & Leica 90/2.8 :) I think on paper that lot comes in at about just over 800grams :)

I have arrived at a similar place to the OP. My photographic journey has gone

Travel superzoom > DSLR > DSLR + mirrorless > mirrorless > mirrorless + 'premium' compact > and now arrived at the LX100.

Going to try going minimalist for a while - just one camera, no lens changes...

Im so tempted to do the same , but ive tried a couple of times going m4/3 and the results just aren't the same as a DSLR - theyre a real pain when walking, skiing or travelling, but theres nowt better for pics!

Im so tempted to do the same , but ive tried a couple of times going m4/3 and the results just aren't the same as a DSLR - theyre a real pain when walking, skiing or travelling, but theres nowt better for pics!

I have had a similar experience going from Canon DSLR to Panasonic m4/3 and now in the process of selling up m4/3 to go back to Canon. I will be keeping one of my m4/3 cameras though, the GX1 with 20mm lens to use for occasions when I can't be bothered t lug around the Canon DSLR kit. The GX1 makes a good alternative to a compact.

This is definitely not an uncommon thing :D

I sold up all of my Nikon gear (apart from one 35mm film SLR) and decided that I would be more than happy using the Fuji X series cameras. Most of the photos I take at the moment do seem to be of my 18 month old Daughter, and a while back, this wasnt an issue with the Fujis. As she has become a lot more 'mobile', ive found that my keeper hit rate has really declined, and I put a lot of that down to the limitations of the lower end X series compacts, as they are obviously not as responsive as a proper DSLR...as well as the image quality not being quite up to it.

So, im now going to be building my kit up again, and have a minty D300 with sod all actuations on it on its way to me to get me started again :D

Back