Finally finished the Kodachrome

TheBigYin

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
No
Don't know if I'm happy or sad about it. I'm certainly happy to get the EOS-3 back into circulation - my final roll of Kodachrome 64 has been in there for the best part of 3 months now. Probably the most measured and considered (okay - probably overthought and sterile :() 36 shutter depressions I've made. The sad thing is, I'm sure that they're going to be a disappointment - probably because i've built them up in my imagination. Still - at least I've had my final shot with the classic film.

And so to the main reason for posting...

I've got the mailer envelope ready to send away, just wondered, did everyone else just send the film canister in the mailer or did you put it in a jiffy bag first. I'm not worried that the postage will be a little more if it's "double bagged", just that I'd sooner the film had a little more protection for it's journey to Lausanne, and then onto Dwaynes.

Also - how long is it taking at the moment - Am I likely to get the shots back before Christmas :LOL:

It goes in the yellow mailer and it'll be back in 2 weeks..(y)

The sad thing is, I'm sure that they're going to be a disappointment - probably because i've built them up in my imagination. Still - at least I've had my final shot with the classic film.

I know what you mean, sometimes we think just shooting an icon will give our pictures some mythical oomph regardless of the subject.
I've learned, not just with kodachrome, that film is very much horses for courses.
I feel looking at the 4 rolls I've shot, I now know the the best circumstances and conditions to use Kodachrome 64, but...hell.....if they haven't gone and knocked it on the head...:(

I know what you mean, sometimes we think just shooting an icon will give our pictures some mythical oomph regardless of the subject.
I've learned, not just with kodachrome, that film is very much horses for courses.
I feel looking at the 4 rolls I've shot, I now know the the best circumstances and conditions to use Kodachrome 64, but...hell.....if they haven't gone and knocked it on the head...:(

That's it exactly - I partly just wanted to be able to say i'd shot Kodachrome before it was too late. I had actually shot some of it years and years ago, but the slides were lost in a tragic "Ex-Girlfriend, Forgot to change the Locks, Bonfire" incident - along with 300 LP's and 4 albums of photo's taken on the ascents and/or tops of Mont Blanc, The Matterhorn, Aig. Du Midi, and sundry other alpine escapades which I'm far too unfit to ever repeat.

The roll that I brought my dad came back after about 2 and half weeks. I managed to get a roll off ebay for just £6.00 not expired. Unfortunately, when I loaded it in my Spotmatic F, it would not wind on properly and after much messing around I realised that the rewind knob had not fully came down and seated properly when I pushed it down into the film canister. I managed to sort it out, but I think I lost between 6 - 12 exposures. I've not shot Kodachrome before but decided that as its gone forever soon I might as well.

Remember everyone, After the 30th November, Dwaynes will not accept European mailers and you will have to pay their prices however the K-14 line will remain open until the 31st December. Get any old Kodachrome from 1974 to present and Kodachrome 40 Super 8 processed now or you will only be able to get it done in black and white as the dyes used are no longer produced although someone is bound to come up with a colour solution. If pre WWII Autochrome Lumière's and Dufaycolour'a can be processed today then why not Kodachrome? Sure the K-14 process is extremely complex but I'm sure someone will.(y)

BTW, despite Dwaynes supposedly being the only K-14 lab, there are some others as well processing Kodachrome their just not Kodak certified. The Rocky Mountain lab is the only one I know of but I have heard there are others as well. The Rocky lab has K lab processor that Kodak released about a decade ago to try to make it easier to process.

http://www.rockymountainfilm.com/k14.htm

Last edited:
Have you seen the Scarborough Spa Express yet Yinny ?

Last edited:
That's it exactly - I partly just wanted to be able to say i'd shot Kodachrome before it was too late. I had actually shot some of it years and years ago, but the slides were lost in a tragic "Ex-Girlfriend, Forgot to change the Locks, Bonfire" incident - along with 300 LP's and 4 albums of photo's taken on the ascents and/or tops of Mont Blanc, The Matterhorn, Aig. Du Midi, and sundry other alpine escapades which I'm far too unfit to ever repeat.

Thats just tragic, just to think that if she had not done that then those images would have looked perfect still in about 200 years whilst current E6 ones will maintain full quality for about 10 years under normal conditions and about 20 under cool dry conditions.

Hadn't heard about it even - just quickly googled it up, and I think I'll be on the embankment at goosehill junction one of the mornings next week!

:bat:

:D

I've seen it at Kirkgate & Westgate, I've fannied about for the past 3 weeks trying to find a good position for an out in the countryside shoot, and if it hadn't been for a drive out on Wednesday, I wouldn't have a clue where or what the hell goose hill is...

That really is tragic :shake: There must have been a lotta hurt there.

Steve

Trouble with me is, I have to go to work so all my planning is based around an evening shoot, it only runs Tues - Thurs, the days are getting shorter, the Express stops running on the 2nd of September so if I'm gonna shoot it, I have to get my arse in to gear.
Anyway, its a hell of a thing, not quite Tornado territory but still a majorly huge lump of steaming smelly noise, it is not Ivor the engine I can tell you.

Last edited:
Back