Finally found an INSECT!

Edit My Images
Yes
I haven't really shot insects before so any C+C welcome. Focus was hard to get but these are the best I had. Still getting used to the 'move in and out' focusing!

Also which of the last two look best? first is full size second is crop.

Thasnk

1/30
ISO 200
F.8
External flash

safds.jpg

Untitled-2.jpg

sss-2.jpg

Last edited:
DOF is off, a bit too much to the front, in the last one (and therefore crop of it). So you could have got quite a bit more of the beastie in focus.

Still its not a bad shot

DOF is off, a bit too much to the front, in the last one (and therefore crop of it). So you could have got quite a bit more of the beastie in focus.

Still its not a bad shot

thanks, if my focus was in the right place would f.8 have been ok or a higher f.?

thanks

Technically you haven't Robbo as it is a land loving crustacean that is related to the prawn. Nice set all the same and loving the angle in the last 2 shots (y)

Technically you haven't Robbo as it is a land loving crustacean that is related to the prawn. Nice set all the same and loving the angle in the last 2 shots (y)

thanks, so its a fish? haha:bonk:

would you say f.8 is ok for these kind of shots or a bit higher?

the external flash was just mounted normal, im in the process of gettin a bar and ball head to get it in a better position

:clap: Great captures, I've yet to get an crustacean shot I'm happy with :p

Carl

thanks, there where about 2million under the rock, 5 snaps later my battery died :-( spare was on charge

Sods law mate!!! I'm off to look under rocks at the weekend...

good stuff!

Im on a reptile/amphibian shoot all day :-D cant wait. There for a website for a friends business so hopefully I will get some good pics to post.

No.2 for me(y) If you are using flash you could try a faster shutter speed and f11, the flash should still allow you good exposure.

nice set - you did get the eyes in focus which I believe is the name of the game - I think the dof isnt that off putting - the last is a nice angle and in alot of ways better for the way the dof is. well done for finding small moving things and getting a capture.

What? And you didn't try to blow up the insect? Very unlike you, I must say. Very disappointed, Robbo. :naughty:

Well done ..... nice lighting.........trial and error really to get the best DOF for different subjects, I try and get f11 or f13 if possible to maximise whats there, obviously depends on flash power / diffuser etc ........... Practice, practice .................ad infinitum .............

Dave ....

Cheers dave... I'm in the process of sorting out a decent light kit :)

Back