Finally getting to grips with colour grading

Edit My Images
No
I have struggled in the past when having to use more than one camera to get a good consistent colour grade. Despite using WB cards for each camera they always look vastly different. I am now getting to grips with Vector scopes the Hue v Sat and Hue v Hue curves in Premier. This was shot on a D810 (stills), Blackmagic Design Pocket 4k and a DJI mini 2.

Suggestions for improvement always welcome.

View: https://youtu.be/QABoWnqmsfs

Reactions: 4wd
Have you tried with the color chip charts? I have the x-rite color checker and use with “3D LUT creator” - saves a lot of time.

Have you tried with the color chip charts? I have the x-rite color checker and use with “3D LUT creator” - saves a lot of time.
I tried it when I started to get into video and found that the results were a bit variable. The luts always seamed to need a bit of adjustment for me. I think the problem is you need to be using the the same light sources when you take the readings and I can see it would work well in a studio or if you had a couple of cameras shooting in the same direction.

On this type of job though, while the light source is the same the actual colour of the light on the building varies a lot depending the portion of the sky it's reflecting and the things around it like the grass or gravel reflecting different colours on to the building.

Also I have found that the drone doesn't have a lot of latitude for colour correction as it only produces 8 bit files so I tend to pull the other cameras to what the drone can produce rather that something that's strictly colour accurate.

Back