Finally got a picture into the paper

Edit My Images
No
Without my permission!!!

A national newspaper today decided to do a center spread on the endangered Cheetah, an interesting article until i noticed one of the photos is mine!

It is a copyrighted image and they do not have my permission to use, not really sure what i can do though.

Any suggestions??

Send them an invoice for the use of the shot, expressing your pleasure that they used it but, displeasure for not asking and agreeing terms first.

1. How did they get it?

2. Get on the phone to the theiving *******s and give them a verbal hiding and demand payment!

Good luck whatever you do, what newspaper is is by the way?

i like psifoxes idea :D

todays Sun?

Yes todays Sun 2nd from the right, they have cropped it slightly.

The pic was posted in the wildlife forum here and on my Flickr page

They haven't put it on the website just in the paper :thinking:

Interestingly, the first image on their site is one that comes up on a search for cheetah's on Alamy. Using that as a base for a price it is coming up with £100 - I would then add a 50% unlicensed usage fee and invoice them.

Yup, invoice the *******s, use the NUJ pricing guidelines.

I always invoice for TWICE the going rate in these situations - they always pay up in the end - as the risk of it going to court is not worth it for a publisher. Haven't dealt with the Sun - but lots of others.

Just a quick thought, what licence have you set for your images on flickr ?

Just a quick thought, what licence have you set for your images on flickr ?

It says,

None of my pictures may be used without my permission!! :nono:

This raises an interesting question ... how many times have newspapers used images from Flickr and TP to use in print without the actual owner of the photo being told ?

Makes watermarking your photos all the more vital if togs are going to be ripped off like this !

How you getting on with this Notch? I hope you get the resolution your after dude!

Sent a polite but firm email with an invoice.

Firstly had a generic "your email will be dealt with within 3 days"

Then had another one "your message has been passed on to our copyright department"

Now just waiting..............

Best of luck with this, and well done for getting into print, and for chasing the thieving barstewards down :)

Sounds promising - they know what they've done - I'm sure they will pay. Keep us posted.

Notch
I know you have said you have contacted the Sun, have you mentioned cash yet? If not the ball is at your foot here. They will not risk you taking them to the small claims court so I would think £200 is easy for this one. If they at first appear to reject this quickly mention the fact they have used your image without your permission and as such have breached your copyright, casually drop in that you will need to consult your lawyer with regards a claim via small claims court and I think your £200 will be in the post very quickly :) Please let us know how you get on.
Cheers
Ricky

Back